Thread: Game Gear Repair (Blinking light)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hippytipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game Gear Repair (Blinking light)

So I just replaced all the Caps in this new GG I got. Everything is running smoothly now, except for some reason the power light keeps blinking whether plugged in via adapter or using new batteries. I swapped out the power board with another GG and yet still has the same problem.

Just curious to see if anyone else here has had a similar issue. Possibly a bad Cap?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bumped Just found I still had this system lying around, would really like to fix the issue but have no idea what part to focus on.

Any input would be great.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Does it interrupt play or function, or is it simply the LED blinking at a steady pace as if it were dying?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everything appears to work just fine, but it blinks as though the batteries are dying no matter what.

I've cleaned the board, triple checked the caps, made sure there was no solder where there shouldn't be, I'm lost..
    Stinks cause this system was given to me by a friend, would love to get it 100%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Could be a loose pin or wire on the molex connector that connects the power board to the main pcb... that, or possibly a diode on the circuit communicating from the power board to the LED, maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Checked the connector and looks fine to me. I had swapped the power board with another one and had the same issue, so it shouldn't be the power side of it. Most definitely on the main board. I might do a re-seat of anything that looks funky, but iduntknow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hippytipper View Post
    Checked the connector and looks fine to me. I had swapped the power board with another one and had the same issue, so it shouldn't be the power side of it. Most definitely on the main board. I might do a re-seat of anything that looks funky, but iduntknow
    If there is a loose wire in that group in the molex connector plugging into the power board, it may be the ticket. Sometimes when removing and reseating that harness, a connection becomes weak or partially broken, as those are extremely narrow gauge wires. A gentle tug on each individual wire will make it obvious if that's the case. I run into a similar issue with arcade wire harnesses from time to time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did a few different tests with it and I'm not noticing anything unordinary.
    I will keep checking into it though. Thank You for SOME kind of direction, I've been bugged by this for a while, anything is helpful.

I don't remember the light blinking before I did the cap replacement, that's why I was almost sure it had something to do with that. Though I guess all the jostling around could have knocked anything loose at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

You probably did the cap replacement just fine, but if you aren't positive, it could be that one of the caps has too low of a rating, causing the circuit to read diminished current before the LED.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it possible to know which cap (or what type of cap) is related to the LED?

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure where your trouble is, but I would try poking around pins 63, 64, and 65 on IC1 of the main circuit board. Also, if you have another Game Gear with a properly working power indicator, compare voltages at these pins. Here is a service manual which you might find useful: http://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch...e_gear_va1.pdf
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Looking at the schematic that RP2A03 provided; measure the voltage anywhere it says 5V. You should get right around 5V.

Measure the voltage at pin 9 of IC1(pin 2 of SW2, pin 7 of CN1, etc...) This is your unregulated battery voltage, which should be whatever your batteries or power supply is putting out.

Unless I'm reading things wrong*, the voltage on pin 54 should be around 70% of source voltage and the voltage on 53 should be around 77% of source voltage. (2.7V and 2.04V using a 9V source). If those voltages are closer to 1.5V** then it's going to read as a low battery and flash. My initial guess is that maybe C43 is shorted? That would pull everything in that section down making it think the batteries were low.

*Bear in mind that I'm pretty rusty on this stuff.

**I'm not sure what the actual voltage is when the flashing should begin
    Last edited by jb143; 09-01-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...