Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Recapture The Magic

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help Me Recapture The Magic

So, everytime I go to fire up the old emus, or look through my 3DS collection, I have no idea what to play. I usually end up picking something I've already played, or something stupid, get sick of it and quit. Figured I'd start another one of those "recommend me something" threads with a twist. The first game I see posted here, I'll play it to the end(if I'm capable) and give a short opinion on it when I'm done. Not that anybody cares what I have to say, just thought it would be fun for me. Posts are becoming a rarity around here nowadays.

Please no rpgs, I have them, they are just too time consuming for me right now. Not interested in terrible games either, I'm not an angry nerd, and trying to regain some passion here. Pretty much anything up to the ps1/n64 era. 3ds/ds as well, I most likely have it. Just one at a time, first recommendation I see, I'll play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think one could go far wrong with Demon's Crest on the SNES. Fine title.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Demon's Crest it is. I've always wanted to play through that one. Rented it back in the day but didn't get very far, and don't remember much about it. Thanks.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've never played Demon's Crest. I always wanted it since I first saw it but I ALWAYS put off purchasing it despite the fact that it was always reasonably priced. I think I'll make myself buy it the next time I come across it, assuming it's still reasonably priced.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-26-2015 at 12:58 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I finally played through Demon's Crest about 4 years ago, and it was awesome. Very uneven difficulty, but loads of fun, and the real final boss was tough. Took 3 tries to beat that thing. Still, loads of fun, and great graphics. Hope it's fun for you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got rid of that one last year to get this laptop, try as I may I never did like it much. It just had this odd mix of confusion of where to go once the map pops up and the RPG elements along with the platforming didn't do it for me. The atmosphere of the game though was quite good and you can't fault the controls either.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, quick first impressions; The music is incredible, right up there with Super Castlevania 4 and Actraiser, putting that great symphonic SNES sound to good use. The gameplay has it's quirks. No ducking? A destroyable pot right in front of me but I can't destroy it unless I go backwards and find a lower platform to shoot it from. Also, I can only shoot one fireball at a time, until that fireball disappears on-screen.

Pretty cool that it opens up with a boss fight, while you're trying to escape. The hovering mechanic is a necessity and is a nice mechanic lifted from the Gameboy and NES games. I am not digging the headbutting though, seems you have to be pixel perfect in most cases, especially this first minigame! Grrr. I'm going to ignore that since this has rpg elements, hopefully my character will improve this aspect as I go forward.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Isn't that what the beaten games thread is for? I think you'd get better results by listing some of your favourite games as well.

Anyway, my recommendation is Willow for the arcade. A challenging action platformer with some minor adventure/rpg elements like shops.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger View Post
    Isn't that what the beaten games thread is for? I think you'd get better results by listing some of your favourite games as well.

Anyway, my recommendation is Willow for the arcade. A challenging action platformer with some minor adventure/rpg elements like shops.
    I don't care, throw it in that thread if you're a mod, this has nothing to do with being "beaten". Not like your going to get any other topics started around here. I got a pretty good result and am working on it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Well personally I don't mind a one man-impressions/review thread, and no I'm not a mod. It wasn't meant to sound like an attack on the thread.
    Good luck with the magic hunt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The thread has value easily, but I question if he'll finish Demon's Crest as it's kind of a love it or hate it thing because of the quirks he said coupled with the RPG elements and stiff challenge. It may comment over $100 on the after market, but it's not the best game Capcom has put out by any means either. I'd take the NES/GB Gargoyle's Quest games over them any day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The thread has value easily, but I question if he'll finish Demon's Crest as it's kind of a love it or hate it thing because of the quirks he said coupled with the RPG elements and stiff challenge. It may comment over $100 on the after market, but it's not the best game Capcom has put out by any means either. I'd take the NES/GB Gargoyle's Quest games over them any day.
    I agree that the first two are balanced considerably better. I do love the graphics and sound, though, and some of the areas are neat. I've always felt like it was rushed, though, much like the second disc of Xenogears. It's still a great game, but something there just rings incomplete to me, like there was a much larger vision that had to be tapered off to fit a window.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's Capcom, given the year it probably was rushed. They hit this wall where they got scared and buttoned up some and just put out sure fire mascot stuff as we saw with the MMX1-3 and MM7 games and then SF Alpha 2 as they know they would make money on them. A game like Demons Crest was a total gamble considering the GB game did well but the sequel was too late for its own good on the NES and probably didn't make much.

I think where you may think it feels rushed is the poor implementation of the RPG elements. There's the length with no saving which hurts it. The controls like the no ducking is questionably idiotic as the others I am fairly certain did (GB did for sure.) And then there's the overworld map which has no sense of direction in that mode7 eye candy treat so you flap around and find places which could or couldn't almost instantly get you murdered if you weren't up to level for it and death was the only way to know (or cheating with a faq or online guide enough in the future of the late 90s and beyond.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Nah, it wasn't the RPG elements. It was the powers granted from the crests coupled with the alternate paths. It felt like they had grander plans to use those powers for more in-depth exploration, but instead you only use each briefly in moving on to the next. It just seemed like the map was intended to house more areas, the powers were intended to be more integral to the game, and more exploration to occur in the side-scrolling areas. What actually got finished was closer to something like Xardion in scale and length, but it felt like it was meant to be closer to Symphony of the Night, but never got to realize it.

Capcom has always been sketchy about ducking, though. How long did it take Mega Man to get the ability? If only he'd have fought some kind of Crouch Man to steal his power...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If by ducking you mean sliding, Mega Man had that power in MM3.
    What's weird is that Charge Man (in MM5) gave him the power to turn the slide into an attack. BUT it was just that one game and for some reason still consumed weapon power. WTF?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can see that as flaws too, annoying really to just set it up that way. The reason I bought up crouching, sure Capcom has been shaky about it being added, but to go from have to then remove is a bit questionable.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Wait, did someone say this game demands 100 bucks? Shit, I used to pass on it for $20-$30. I guess I shouldn't have! I'm just not about paying that much for games. Well, not unless it's purchased with trade revenue, or something insanely special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yup, current ebay history going back to February sorted for paid + US only shows a range of $100-130 depending on condition. I know mine is in there somewhere as it was a happy victim to the pinball gods. The price jumped up I think around a year ago or so, then stayed relatively flat within a small range. I remember before hand you could snap them up for $30-40 which is what I got it for if that a few years earlier. It's another victim of the scalper shuffle.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Its a fairly rare game and its really good also. Its not expensive because sellers are asking too much.
    Its a game many people want.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, fuck this game I give up. I managed to find every item except for 1 life capsule, and got to the third(final?) form of the last boss. This has to be the most ridiculously unfair boss battle I've ever played. Luckily, I'm a little doped up on Percs or my controller would be in pieces.

This game's difficulty is so wildly inconsistent it's like it was made by 2 different development teams. Some levels are a breeze once you get more crest powers. Some are straight cheap with respawning ghosts, bats, and other annoying things appearing right on top of you. Don't get me started on those levels where you have to keep torches lit in order to see and keep the bats off your ass...

The same with the boss battles. Some have easily discernible patterns. Most of them attack randomly, take a thousand hits to defeat, and just seem like a game of luck while spamming ginseng potions. It is easy to exploit the monetary system in the game by just returning to the same area over and over and collecting coins. That is poor game design, in my opinion. I was ready to give up on that goddamn eyeball boss. By sheer luck I managed to use a mostly useless scroll(imp) and let him do the dirty work for me.

I didn't have any issues with the mode7 map thing. It's a relatively small overworld that loops around itself. Pressing start brings up a top-down view of the entire map and even shows you which direction you're facing. It kinda points you in which levels you should be doing in order by numbering them, thankfully. There is alot of backtracking to find new areas once you gain more abilities.

So close... At times I was having fun with the game, but mostly I was cursing at it. I don't like it and will never, ever touch it again. Twitch masochists who like their games frustrating and challenging will dig it. The same kind of people who enjoy dying over and over again in Ghouls and Ghosts games. I'm not one of them.

It's a shame. The graphics and spritework are fantastic. The music fits the mood with a nice orchestral score. There are nice gameplay ideas in place. And it is really nifty to play as the anti-hero, something of a rarity back then. But ultimately, it's too goddamn hard for it's own good. Call me a pussy, I can only take so much frustration from a game I should be enjoying. Next....