Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Recapture The Magic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hehe wasn't going to spoil the difficulty for you had you not looked up a gamefaq. You comments pretty much hit it as a good list of reasons I had no desire to keep it along with other brought up things. The difficulty is for masochists is right, right up there with bullet hell fans with it jacked up to max difficulty going 10sec before being fed another shit sandwich they'll happily eat to go back in an 1000 more times to die moments later yet again with no real to limited gain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Words, words, words -- Steve mentioned Demon's Crest. Fucking great game. I'm both really happy that everyone is giving it it's due finally, but also really sad it's price has skyrocketed before I got another copy.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, the difficulty is all over the place.

If you're taking new suggestions, how about Rygar on NES? It's an old favorite of mine.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rygar is an old favorite of mine as well. Yet I never got a chance to beat that one and had no clue what I was doing. My cousin had this and I remember always getting lost and not knowing where to go. I was too young to grasp rpg elements and exploration in a game. I just wanted to walk right, kill shit, and hope for a giant boss at the end. Such a feeble young mind... I'll give it another shot with an older perspective and bring back some memories in the process. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If youre into Gameboy Advance or before I could suggest a few interesting things that shouldn't be too time consuming.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Consider Rygar conquered. Boy, father time hasn't been kind to this one. So many aspects of the game are confusing. Just looking at the sub-screen I was scratching my head wondering, what the fuck is "Tone"? Potential? Last? I'm assuming it's Engrish for exp, next, and strength? Still not sure. It seemed totally random when I leveled up and gained an extra life bar.

You guys are punishing me with tough games, although this one wasn't too bad. Enemies respawning out of thin air was my major gripe with this game. It fools you into thinking you have only one life, but hitting start at the title screen brings you back to the start of the area you were just in. Most of the bosses were pretty easy as long as you had enough health.

The graphics are serviceable considering when it came out. Some of the enemy designs are hideous though, especially those demonic birds that drop eggs on your dome. The tunes are catchy, sometimes moody, dark, and bassy. Some of it sounds familiar. The controls are super tight. It would've been nice to have diagonal movement in the overhead sections though.

It's not quite as good as I remembered it being. But better than alot of NES games released in 87. A bit crusty and wrinkly. Maybe better left remembered the way it was. The ending is nothing but a picture and a paragraph of more bad English. Disappointing after a pretty tough game. At least I finished it, something of an accomplishment. No walkthroughs. If a game requires one, I'll just quit then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    If youre into Gameboy Advance or before I could suggest a few interesting things that shouldn't be too time consuming.
    I'm listening...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I like Rygar's music a ton. I like the graphics, too, but it does suffer from tons of flicker. I'll always dig it, but I always wished it had a password system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok guess you have a GBA or some combination. I'm not going to go into good detail on the why, my suggestion, youtube it or something.

GBA--
    Wing Commander Prophecy (full pc conversion, it works)
    Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
    River City Ransom EX
    Robotech the Macross Saga
    V-Rally 3 (3D, Saturn like rally racer)

GBC--
    Cannon Fodder
    Lemmings & Oh no More Lemmings
    Tomb Raider (plays like prince of persia)
    Project S-11
    Warlocked (warcraft, seriously)

GB--
    Balloon Kid
    Fortified Zone
    Final Fantasy Adventure (Secret of Mana prequel)
    Turrican
    Donkey Kong

5 each per system, tried to almost entirely stay away from well known mass releases franchise games but I had to toss in just a few.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have very reliable emus, hehe. And pretty much every game you listed. I'm a pirate, people may hate me for it, but oh well. My physical collection consists of 3DS only(about 150 games and 3 systems). I love it and think it's a neat system. And it's relatively cheap to pick games up for.

That's a pretty hefty list there, you have one in particular to start off with? I'm weird and like to tackle one game at a time. I usually like to conquer one before moving on to the next.
    Last edited by FieryReign; 05-27-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Go for Bebe's Kids on SNES. It's really not as horrible as most people make it out to be, I made it to the last level the first time I played it. Just read the instructions before playing as the controls aren't that great through trial and error. I just want to find somebody else who'll play this.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Go for Bebe's Kids on SNES. It's really not as horrible as most people make it out to be, I made it to the last level the first time I played it. Just read the instructions before playing as the controls aren't that great through trial and error. I just want to find somebody else who'll play this.
    I'm willing to give it a try, just hope you're not messing with me.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I'm willing to give it a try, just hope you're not messing with me.
    I'm really not, I personally like the game. There's punches and kicks in the game, and super punches and super kicks. Regular ones do nothing, the super ones are the only ones I use. It's some weird trigger/button combination but once you know it the game is normal, it's not super hard like most youtube people say it is.

Then there's the haunted house level. Most people seem to give up on it after getting lost, I got through it the first time pretty easily. There's at most 3 doors, one you came from, which leaves two to choose from. There's a gauge on the screen which tells you when you're going the right way, if you're not then go back through the same door you just came from to be on the previous screen, and choose the only door that's left. No idea why most people struggle with this. If you keep going the wrong way past more than one or two screens, it randomly cycles you back to the beginning of the maze to start over. I picked up on this pretty quick but it seems most people who've played this just think the entire route is completely random.

I find this game follows the source material pretty closely and offers variety between levels. It could be better but for a licensed game it's not bad. It's actually better than the movie it's based on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Eh can't hate on you for pirating. I'd dare anyone on this site to admit they don't have one piece of stolen or expired software they still keep around. Back in the late 90s around 2000 I burned a NES set to a CD, has every unique US, Japanese and PAL(only) releases out up to that rate, and I still have it. It's how I would load up that powerpak I had. Back then I had the full selection of old GB games too but that's long gone. I only found the NES CD some years ago, thought it was toast too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Eh can't hate on you for pirating. I'd dare anyone on this site to admit they don't have one piece of stolen or expired software they still keep around. Back in the late 90s around 2000 I burned a NES set to a CD, has every unique US, Japanese and PAL(only) releases out up to that rate, and I still have it. It's how I would load up that powerpak I had. Back then I had the full selection of old GB games too but that's long gone. I only found the NES CD some years ago, thought it was toast too.
    I don't have any stolen or expired software. Anywhere.

No hate, though. We all do this our own way.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I'm really not, I personally like the game. There's punches and kicks in the game, and super punches and super kicks. Regular ones do nothing, the super ones are the only ones I use. It's some weird trigger/button combination but once you know it the game is normal, it's not super hard like most youtube people say it is.

Then there's the haunted house level. Most people seem to give up on it after getting lost, I got through it the first time pretty easily. There's at most 3 doors, one you came from, which leaves two to choose from. There's a gauge on the screen which tells you when you're going the right way, if you're not then go back through the same door you just came from to be on the previous screen, and choose the only door that's left. No idea why most people struggle with this. If you keep going the wrong way past more than one or two screens, it randomly cycles you back to the beginning of the maze to start over. I picked up on this pretty quick but it seems most people who've played this just think the entire route is completely random.

I find this game follows the source material pretty closely and offers variety between levels. It could be better but for a licensed game it's not bad. It's actually better than the movie it's based on.
    Um.... yeah. I gave it a shot. At first I thought it was going to be a poor man's Simpsons Arcade. Then reality set in. The controls are clunky and it seems like the framerate on the animation is jittery and spazzy. I managed to figure out everything you mentioned. Regular attacks do nothing. I sat there for about 5 minutes punching and kicking the same mouse mascots and ran out of time. The uppercut and spinning jump kicks are the only attacks that do anything, as well as some sort of roll move I pulled off with sheer luck. Didn't take long to figure out how to throw baseballs and basketballs.

Then the bullshit with the baby dropping glass stuff on the floor. So Im supposed to smash it before Robin catches it or they hit the floor? Yup, but the controls and pure randomness of the baby movement just make it a mess. And you have to do it 10 times in a row. I managed to pass this part too. Then the haunted house. That's where I had to draw the line like everyone else. The bats pissed me off the most. It sends you back to the start of the damn brawler section if you fail.

I've never seen the movie, just Robin's stand-up. He would be rolling over in his grave. I like how it says "chillin" when you pause the game. And now I've got that title screen music stuck in my head! They shouldve just focused on making it a pure brawler with combos and set-moves and such.

I just noticed and forgot someone mentioned Willow arcade. I'm going after that one next. Then to one of tanooki's choice picks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I like Rygar's music a ton. I like the graphics, too, but it does suffer from tons of flicker. I'll always dig it, but I always wished it had a password system.
    Ditto i've all ways enjoyed the nes rygar more then it's arcade counter part.I don't know i was never bother it didn't have a password system,never had a problem finishing the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, it's not too tough to finish, but when I was 8, a password would have been awesome, because what I can finish in a little over an hour now took me so many days of trial and error in the late '80s...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alright if we're suggesting "notoriously crappy" games might I suggest one that often gets unfairly bashed?

Try 3 Ninjas Kick Back on the SNES and let me know what you think. I've read a lot of hate on this game, but I found it to be decent and enjoyable. The game picks up after the first few levels. There is one level that you can beat in like 8 seconds and it's just ridiculous.

But some of the later levels are fun.

Not a good game by any stretch, but IMO a lot more competent than what most credit it for.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Willow(arcade) was kind of fun. Sort of like a mix of Ghouls and Ghosts and Magic Sword with two different playable characters and gameplay styles. Willow controls like Arthur with a charge shot, Val Kilmer's more like a less agile Strider Hiryu. Not as hard and unfair as most arcade games but their is still bullshit involved. You only get 2 lives and the time limit is stupid. There are shops where you can buy upgrades and such but only 2 of them are useful, a life meter extension and a power upgrade. At least the game lets you keep what you purchase after dying and even continuing. Most of the enemies stay dead when they're slain and not too much of the respawning nonsense. The final level is one of those labyrinth levels where picking the wrong door sends you back to a previous area.

The graphics are really colorful and vibrant. Some of the bosses are impressive, especially that uglyass 2-headed monster/dragon thing from the movie. The controls are on point aside from having to press up+jump to achieve a high jump. Music and sound get the job done, nothing memorable. It's a shame this didn't get a home console release. I can understand why though. The SNES was 2 years away and a Genesis port would've been impossible due to Nintendo's stranglehold on 3rd party companies. People would've long forgotten the film if Capcom had decided to port it to the SNES.

It's a pretty straightforward and short game. And it's not cheap and artificially difficult, it could probably be one-credited with enough practice and memorization. I haven't seen the movie in years but it seems to follow it pretty closely. There was a few times where I said "ah, I remember that scene". A solid good time for about 45 minutes. Capcom seemed to do no wrong with their arcade games of this era.

3 Ninjas Kick Back, huh? I forgot the game was even a thing and didn't know it had such a bad reputation. I guess I'll keep the licensed movie theme going and fire it up. But it will be the Genesis version, no more Nintendo related games. I don't even want anything semi-related to them on any of my devices. They've all been deleted and forgotten like the shit I took earlier.
    Last edited by FieryReign; 05-28-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Cool, enjoyed reading your thoughts on Willow. I wasn't expecting it to blow your mind but as a console-like arcade game with very good controls and presentation for the time (1989?) it's a bit of a forgotten gem. I did think keeping the time limit going when in shops was a bad design choice but it serves its purpose otherwise as limiting what you can buy since you can farm for gold here and there.

A couple of questions: Did you find any familiars, and was your route through the maze the same as mine; left, left, upper right? Just want to know if it changes the correct route between playthroughs.