Thread: Steam's Awesome New Refund Policy

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool Steam's Awesome New Refund Policy

During Steam's previous refund policy, you could only get a refund on pre-ordered games and only if you cancelled the pre-orders before the games were released. Now in a complete 180 from its old policy, basically, if you play anything for less than two hours and you want a refund, you get a refund - no questions asked.

From [ http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds ]:

Steam Refunds

You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it.

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.

You will be issued a full refund of your purchase within a week of approval. You will receive the refund in Steam Wallet funds or through the same payment method you used to make the purchase. If, for any reason, Steam is unable to issue a refund via your initial payment method, your Steam Wallet will be credited the full amount. (Some payment methods available through Steam in your country may not support refunding a purchase back to the original payment method. Click here for a full list.)

Where Refunds Apply

The Steam refund offer, within two weeks of purchase and with less than two hours of playtime, applies to games and software applications on the Steam store. Here is an overview of how refunds work with other types of purchases.

Refunds on Downloadable Content
    (Steam store content usable within another game or software application, "DLC")

DLC purchased from the Steam store is refundable within fourteen days of purchase, and if the underlying title has been played for less than two hours since the DLC was purchased, so long as the DLC has not been consumed, modified or transferred. Please note that in some cases, Steam will be unable to give refunds for some third party DLC (for example, if the DLC irreversibly levels up a game character). These exceptions will be clearly marked as nonrefundable on the Store page prior to purchase.

Refunds on In-game Purchases

Steam will offer refund for in-game purchases within any Valve-developed games within forty-eight hours of purchase, so long as the in-game item has not been consumed, modified or transferred. Third-party developers will have the option to enable refunds for in-game items on these terms. Steam will tell you at the time of purchase if the game developer has opted to offer refunds on the in-game item you are buying. Otherwise, in-game purchases in non-Valve games are not refundable through Steam.

Refunds on Pre-Purchased Titles

When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date.

Steam Wallet Refunds

You may request a refund for Steam Wallet funds within fourteen days of purchase if they were purchased on Steam and if you have not used any of those funds.

Refunds on Bundles

You can receive a full refund for any bundle purchased on the Steam Store, so long as none of the items in the bundle have been transferred, and if the combined usage time for all items in the bundle is less than two hours. If a bundle includes an in-game item or DLC that is not refundable, Steam will tell you if the whole bundle is refundable during check-out.
    Purchases Made Outside of Steam

Valve cannot provide refunds for purchases made outside of Steam (for example, CD keys or Steam wallet cards purchased from third parties).

VAC Bans

If you have been banned by VAC (the Valve Anti-Cheat system) on a game, you lose the right to refund that game.

Movies

We are unable to offer refunds for movies on Steam.

Refunds on Gifts

We are unable to offer refunds for gifts after they have been redeemed by the recipient.

Abuse

Refunds are designed to remove the risk from purchasing titles on Steam—not as a way to get free games. If it appears to us that you are abusing refunds, we may stop offering them to you. We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price.

How to Request a Refund

You can request a refund or get other assistance with your Steam purchases at help.steampowered.com.

Last updated June 2, 2015

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Damn within14 days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Damn 14 days indeed. It does say you can request after that for consideration. Tempted to try that for Ys since it doesnt seem that happy on steam for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Damn 14 days indeed. It does say you can request after that for consideration. Tempted to try that for Ys since it doesnt seem that happy on steam for me.
    Which Ys game do you have, and what is the problem with it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I bought 1+2 3s remake and origins and I have controller drift I can not resolve. It is a pain to play on a keyboard having to disconnect my controller. Also I dont believe it was playing in full screen. I am away from my laptop for a bit so I can not double check. All said though I like to own my games and have a physical copy which GoG allows for.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

And the indie devs are already complaining about it, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what developers are complaining? Is it on the Steam forums?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It was via Twitter. It was pretty much just the devs who had games that could be finished in under and hour or two, or were otherwise falsely advertised. Some Googling should reveal more.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ogreatgames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is quite generous of Steam to implement a better return policy for digital items!
    http://www.ogreatgames.com Hey check out Ogreatgames for video games and much more!