Thread: Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice (3DS)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thumbs down Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice (3DS)

Looks like the poor sales numbers of the Sonic Boom games on 3DS and Wii U weren't enough to outdo the good sales numbers of the Sonic Boom merchandise and the good ratings of the Sonic Boom cartoon. Now the adequate 3DS game is getting a sequel in the form of Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice.

Interestingly, the same developer as the last 3DS game, Sanzaru, was brought back to develop this one. I find that surprising considering how poorly long-time Sonic fans thought of the 3DS game. It's not that Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal is bad, it's just that it is merely mediocre and doesn't feel or sound like a Sonic game - you'd think they would have gotten a different developer on board to address these sorts of concerns. That said, I'm cautiously optimistic that this game will be better than the last one which felt more like an average character tie-in game rather than a proper Sonic game. Perhaps Sanzaru has learned its lessons. Either way, I'll eventually pick this game up too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ugh, just no.

Sonic Generations 2 or GTFO.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Suddenly, this game is sounding better (literally): According to this [ http://www.tssznews.com/2015/06/09/r...ce-soundtrack/ ]:

Aaron Webber confirmed on NeoGAF that Richard Jacques, [the] composer who worked on the soundtracks to games such as Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast, is returning to do the soundtrack for Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice.
    I like the music from Sonic R and 3D Blast, so now I'm more keenly interested in SB:F&I.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sometimes I wonder whe someone says feels like the old games this late along with so many sonic failures if they even know what a good sonic feels like anymore. They just have their 16bit rose tinted view of the franchise and perhaps dont realize maybe it has aged a bit badly more than some other games of the line or franchisesin general. I do not buy Sonic games and have not in years, but it seems like the go to complaint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Suddenly, this game is sounding better (literally): According to this [ http://www.tssznews.com/2015/06/09/r...ce-soundtrack/ ]:

I like the music from Sonic R and 3D Blast, so now I'm more keenly interested in SB:F&I.
    I didn't pick up Sonic Boom on 3DS after playing the Wii U version but I might check this out if it has Richard Jacques on board. he was also the mastermind behind the MSR soundtrack, which was bloody brilliant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haven't played the games, but I love the cartoon series. It's essentially Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog done right so it's actually funny instead of cringe-inducing.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Just a reminder as to how far Sonic has fallen: he is no longer a video game character getting a cartoon based on his games. He is now a cartoon character getting bad video game tie-ins. Oh how the mighty have fallen. They actually said straight up that the only "legacy" Sonic games are going to be Japan-developed and all Western Sonic games will be based on Boom.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I wasn't aware there was a new cartoon series out. I liked the early ones except for Sonic Underground. Not sure if I would take a chance on newer Sonic games as they're mostly bad or mediocre at best. I remember when even the spinoff games were good, like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Sonic Spinball. Now the main games generally suck. The series fell a long way.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

At South by Southwest, SEGA announced that "Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice" will release in North America on September 27th, 2016.