Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega Man Legacy Collection (PlayStation 4, XBOX One, Windows, 3DS)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know about Millions, but it would most likely sell very well as long as there were no issues with the games.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I agree with some of you guys: if you have the hardware for it, the PS2/GC/XBOX Mega Man Anniversary Collection is the way to go.

But imagine you are someone who doesn't have any of the older consoles, that you are a person who only has one of the new consoles or uses the family PC for gaming. Imagine you don't have any credit/debit cards or a bank account. You don't know about ROMs and emulators or you object to using them. And you have often heard from an older relative or friend about how awesome Mega Man used to be or you catch a great Mega Man video on TV or YouTube. Then this package of games shows up on the download store one day which offers you all of the earliest color Mega Man games in one low-priced set that is only half the price of buying them individually. Wouldn't you want to get an eShop/PSN/XBLA/Steam card from the game store and download this?

I think that is the market after which CAPCOM USA is chasing.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Mega Man Legacy Collection Vol. 1. Mega Man 1-10, Mega Man 1-5 GameBoy, Mega Man Power Battles 1 and 2, Rock Man Dash.
    <snip>
    Mega Man Legacy Collection Vol. 3. Mega Man Legends 1, 2, and Tronne Bonne, Mega Man Soccer, and the Mega Man Battle Network series.
    Rockman Dash is Megaman Legends, so you'd essentially have one game featured on two different collections.

Barring that, I like your organization better than most real compilations I've seen, but personally what I'd do is by console generation:

Volume 1 - "The 8-Bit Years" featuring every NES game, all the Gameboy and Gameboy Color games (technically still 8-bit), that one Game Gear game, Light and Wily's Rockboard, and just for funzies, ports/emulations of the two MS-DOS games by Ocean. Power Battle/Fighters would have to be bonus features here since really there's no other place where they make sense (how do you judge the "Bits" generation of an arcade game?)

Volume 2, then, would be the 16-Bit years and basically consist of everything from the SNES and whatever else could even vaguely qualify. Then Volume 3 would be all the PSX and Saturn games (preferably the Saturn versions since those tended to have more features) and again, whatever else. And so on and so forth.

But then, this is what fans would do, not what Capcom would do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you wish to recommend te MM Anniversary package do NOT do that for the GC. The fools who ported it reversed jump and attack on accident rendering it unplayable if you know the games. Its infuriating because the oher ports had the courtesy of remapping buttons while GC did not -- it was almost like sabotage.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    If you wish to recommend te MM Anniversary package do NOT do that for the GC. The fools who ported it reversed jump and attack on accident rendering it unplayable if you know the games. Its infuriating because the oher ports had the courtesy of remapping buttons while GC did not -- it was almost like sabotage.
    It was more likely incompetence. Remember, these are the same people that couldn't figure out Mode 7.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it was just an honest mistake. They correctly considered the A button as the primary button on the GameCube controller. So since you do more firing than you do jumping, they acted accordingly.

The stock GameCube controller really wasn't a good match for this collection. Not only is the button setup a poor match even if A & B were reversed, but you don't even get a full size d-pad. Even the excellent Hori digital controller only rectified the latter problem...

No excuse for the lack of button remapping options though.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-05-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Rockman Dash is Megaman Legends, so you'd essentially have one game featured on two different collections.
    I didn't mean Rockman Dash. I meant Battle and Chase. Being a racing game, Dash popped into my head and I typed that instead.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I rather doubt that anything is being ported.

I bet these are all recreations, such as Sonic CD HD for an example. The contributions from the NES originals will be as serving as templates for Digital Eclipse to follow, extracting sprite data, etc. I doubt one line of NES assembly code will be ported over and made to work within their proprietary game engine.
    Judging by E3 videos, flicker is intact.

So I'm either wrong and they're taking a different approach here, or they're simulating it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Release is set for August 25th.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...set-this-month

And apparently retail releases are planned for 2016 for all platforms except for the 3DS.

Edit: Even better, I misread; It's all platforms getting a retail version except for the PC.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-05-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know what I see why you were confused. Capcom's own crappy page is misleading.

Read the block of text over the MM6 image, it says one thing. Then read the block over the MM5 image talking about the raving E3 fanboy blowout, then you see this "The Legacy Collection began as a digital-only product, but after its strong reception at E3 and across the community, we're quite pleased to announce physical versions for Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo 3DS will arrive early 2016 in North America for $29.99."

I'd pay $30.

If only because it has:
    -Save load states (bye lame passwords though they're still there)
    -Museum of all the production and otherwise art
    -Jukebox to play any of the music in any game anytime you want
    -HD renditions using some new engine of theirs
    -Full, wide or original rendering modes
    -Cool 'Super Gameboy' like borders for each individual game
    -Huge enemy database of all the grunts to the big boys with there useful data and weaknesses including a robot master practice brawl mode

That brawl mode reminds me of those badass pair of arcade games they had called the power battles, loved the NGPC version as I owned it when I had that thing ages ago.

I'm thinking though if this is likely with their other stuff going on STEAM, I could see waiting on a 50% or more price cut and snapping it up, if anything so I can use various tools to jack the art and other stuff out of the game for my own needs. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since they are doing a physical release I'll most likely pick this up at some point but no time soon. There's already a ton of stuff on Xbox One to play this summer. I'll catch this in a sale sometime down the road.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CAX90 David
    PSN
    David_N15
    Steam
    DavidReid89

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Of course

But while I'm explaining the perfect situation, I may as well pick the system with the best d-pad while I'm at it.

Any preferences here for the XB1 d-pad over the PS4 d-pad? My time with both has been limited, and I'm not sure I've had a need to actually use either during gameplay. But while the d-pad looks much better on the XB1 than past MS controllers (Where it was useless), how does it actually perform?
    PS4 d-pad for me. Xbox one feels awkward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's what I had assumed, but since the XB1 d-pad looks like a significant advancement at long last on a design that sucked for Microsoft's first two generations of console hardware and through three major Xbox controller designs, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for opinions from those that have actually put it to use for gameplay so far.

I assume that Rare Replay is finally letting a number of people see how it performs first hand, outside of secondary functions and the like that is its typical domain in major releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I'll buy this because lord knows I need Megaman 1-6 in yet another format (I own them on Famicom, NES, MegaDrive, PS1, GameCube, Xbox, PS2 and soon, PS4).

That being said, judging from the livestream shortly after E3, this isn't going to be the ultimate way to experience the classic games. not. even. close. It'll be better than the diaster that Megaman Anniversary Collection was, but they've already confirmed that they are not including ANY of the improvements/features of Capcom's own internal project, the Rockman Complete Works from 1999 on the PlayStation 1.

The Rockman Complete Works are by far the best way to experience and enjoy the classic titles. Why? because of several small improvements that collectively add up.

-4:3 240p support that scales up nicely to 480p or even 720p. These games aren't blurry like the Megaman Anniversary Collection.
    -[optional] HUD update
    -[optional]rumble support
    -L1/R1 weapon switching, L2/R2 item switching (Rush forms, Beat, etc)
    -removal of all sprite flickering and slowdown
    -saving to the memory card (okay, this is outdated, but saving passwords nonetheless)
    -[optional] complete remixes of the entire soundtracks for 4, 5 and 6
    -post game content just as an enemy database showing what enemies are weak to as well as a small blurb about them
    -post game boss rush mode
    -post game time attack mode

Of all this, this new collection will only feature the processive scan, saving, and database. taking directly out of the Complete Works. The sprite flickering removal, shoulder button weapon change, remixed music and the post game unlocks will not be included in the new HD release.

If you want to experience the best versions, the first four Rockman Complete Works are available on PSN on the PS3/PSP/Vita for $5.99 each (although they were on sale last week for $3 each if anyone picked them up). Rockman 5 and Rockman 6 Complete Works are strangely not on the North American PSN, but they are on the Japanese PSN. You'll need a Japanese login and then need to import 2000 yen worth of Japanese points cards, but it is very much worth doing as again, these are the best versions of the games ever released. This new Legacy Collection may be in HD, but the fact that it's ignoring the improvements Capcom themselves already did sixteen years ago is almost rage inducing. The new endless challenge looks cool and the inclusion of a digital art gallery of art from the Rockman R20 Artbook is nice, but it doesn't change the fact that this is a more lazy collection than it could be, to say nothing about the fact that 7, 8, 9 and 10 are not even on the table as potential DLC.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

But shouldn't the Rockman Complete Works be the better option at $36 versus $15?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    But shouldn't the Rockman Complete Works be the better option at $36 versus $15?
    It looks and plays alright. But there are load times, plus much of the new content uses Japanese text. PS3 doesn't let games link to a Pocketstation either.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Even though each game is a very good value at $5.99, there is no excuse they aren't for sale as a bundle price, just as there is no excuse 5 and 6 are not on the North American PSN store even though 1-4 are as import titles. It's completely ridiculous.

Equally ridiculous is the notion that a collection for 16 years ago should offer more than a brand new collection during a time when many people's faith in Capcom and Megaman is shaken.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    It looks and plays alright. But there are load times, plus much of the new content uses Japanese text. PS3 doesn't let games link to a Pocketstation either.
    Well... the Rockman Complete Works set are PS1 games from sixteen years go. Complaining there are load times and the games being in Japanese? Uh......these are PS1 games that were originally only released in Japan dude. It's like complaining that a car has a motor and wheels. That's......what a car is.

Also the Pocketstation support is entirely frivolous. I didn't even bring that up when I was talking about all the bonuses and extras the games offer. Even if the PS3 versiosn DID work with the PokcetStation, that's still not a bonus worth even mentioning.

I guess my whole point is that its absurd that Capcom put considerably more work into the Rockman Complete Works set 16 years ago than they are putting into this new Legacy collection, and aren't even bothering to bring over their work form that collection into this one. So lazy are they that they aren't even going to recycle work they already did.

This is fine for people who are blissfully ignorant of the Rockman Complete Works set and/or only own a PS4/Xbone/3DS, but if you still have a PS3 (as you should since there are hundreds of excellent games for it) you're better off spending a bit more money and getting the enhanced versions on PS3 via PSN.

It's important to note my frustrations with the Megaman Legacy Collection don't stem from hatred of Capcom, but bitter disappointment that Capcom isn't living up to even the level of their past work. The endless mode, savestates and digital R20 artbook are cool additions, but they don't matter much when they are included instead of game engine improvements, gameplay enhancements and the remixed music for 4-6.

When this collection was first announced, I had hoped that this would mean Capcom would rearrange the entire soundtracks of Rockman 1, 2 and 3 as they did for 4, 5, 6, but far from doing that, they're not offering any remixed music at all this time around.

So yeah, my feelings are disappointment and frustration. This collection could be so much more if they would only put in the slightest effort.
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 08-12-2015 at 05:18 PM.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think the frustration is warranted anymore when you look at Capcom and their history going back a good many years, even more if you were a Nintendo fan. They keep shelving more and more of their talent and IPs to a purgatory much will never escape. Well at least unless they're bought out, which now they're open to with that change in their profile in the last week. They don't give a damn anymore if they can just keep rolling out SF and RE games to keep the gravy train rolling into the station. MM is a near non-interest to them. They've shown it repeatedly with their handling of Inafune, MM Legends 3, other terminated goodies, not following up on the great sales of MM11. The fact they're even bothering was a nice surprised, and it was a stunning heart stopper they'd dare blow some cash on a physical release.

The sad reality of Capcom is, expect nothing, be surprised by anything, if it's not Street Fighter or Resident Evil. It's just easier that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't mind the relative lack of features compared to what was done years ago. But it does irritate me that this is missing Mega Man 7-10. It would've been especially nice to get a retail copy of Mega Man 9 and 10, and would've helped set this apart from Mega Man Anniversary Collection.

But that this is getting a retail collection and looks to be well done despite its more limited scope than we'd all prefer, pretty much gives it a pass by me.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

At minimum, this game should have had everything Mega Man Anniversary Collection had, while realistically they should have included everything up to Mega Man 10. What's the Mega Man X Legacy Collection going to consist of? Mega Man X - X4? As it stands, retail or not, this is one of the laziest cash grabs I've ever seen come from a developer. Hopefully it bombs because I won't pick this up for anymore than $10 at retail.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.