Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man Legacy Collection (PlayStation 4, XBOX One, Windows, 3DS)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Lazy relative to Complete Works, sure. But that viewpoint misses the point. This is a new collection, intentionally avoiding recycled content from Complete Works, Wily Wars, Virtual Console, or otherwise.

As for missing 7-10, they aren't NES games. Thus potentially very different program code to work with.
    Last edited by theclaw; 08-12-2015 at 10:50 PM.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    If you wish to recommend te MM Anniversary package do NOT do that for the GC. The fools who ported it reversed jump and attack on accident rendering it unplayable if you know the games. Its infuriating because the oher ports had the courtesy of remapping buttons while GC did not -- it was almost like sabotage.
    This might be relevant to your interests, at least if your Gamecube is modded. Was released not too long ago.
    I hate it when people write their initials on a game cart's label. Can't get it off without ruining part of the label!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's not, but damn at least someone fixed it.

It was one of those big hits where I lost a lot of interest in buying Capcom games and faith in their behaviors too. It worked just fine in the other releases, but the GC one magically is screwed up (reversed) alone. Throw in them scorching the promised Capcom 5 and hinting to Sony fans weeks before RE4's arrival not to buy a GC because a definitive release would come once the time was up on the contract all played into it too. Capcom loves to mess with peoples trust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

The reversed controls are just the tip of the iceburg of the problems Anniversary Collection has. There are all sorts of audio problems in all three versions, none of them support true progressive scan properly, and all of the extras Capcom put in were thrown out the window.

But before you go blaming Capcom for the horrendous Anniversary Collection, the whole thing was outsourced to a developer called Atomic Planet. They are entirely to blame for the way AC turned out. The only blame Capcom has is in approving it.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you wish to recommend te MM Anniversary package do NOT do that for the GC. The fools who ported it reversed jump and attack on accident rendering it unplayable if you know the games. Its infuriating because the oher ports had the courtesy of remapping buttons while GC did not -- it was almost like sabotage.
    I really doubt that it was an accident.

Like I said in another thread here not too long ago, I don't think it's any coincidence that the GameCube's A button, widely viewed as the primary button on the controller for obvious reasons, was tasked with handling the most common action in Mega Man Anniversary Collection. While I only own the Xbox version of MMAC, I have plenty of experience with this button layout with similar games thanks to the Game Boy Player and the GameCube controller simply didn't offer a great button layout either way for a collection such as this one.

While I think Capcom would've lost either way they went with this, shame on Capcom for not at least letting the gamer customize it to their own liking as best as possible with configurable controls. Hopefully that's not going to be happening this time around, especially on the 3DS and XB1 where they could potentially be matching up decades old button labels due to the presence of A & B buttons on each, sacrificing playability to a great degree.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-15-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My understanding is that the PS2 and XB versions have in the option screen the ability to remap buttons, the Gamecube doesn't. That's why I took that tone, it was like sabotage. I think the GC controller was fine for it, had it been done right or with the choice to, MM Network Transmission basically was a classic MM game in setup and style, the buttons were not reversed and the game was quite enjoyable if underrated. Capcom may not have coded it, but damn if they're to blame not reigning their designer in to fix that mess they exclusively dumped on the GC. And I think we're agreed, if they dink around with the systems today doing the same due to the lettering on the buttons, they're true fools and deserve every bit of hell they'd catch for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My understanding is that the PS2 and XB versions have in the option screen the ability to remap buttons, the Gamecube doesn't.
    I don't believe this to be the case.

I vaguely recall something about it being added to the later Xbox port, but only after the GameCube controversy. I think it's one reason why I went with this version, along with keeping most if not all of the platform exclusive bonus features of the earlier two versions. My Xbox isn't hooked up though so it's not convenient for me to go check right now.

Too bad that the Xbox d-pad sucked though...

Edit: Looks like my memories are accurate.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=32&t=6602
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-15-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    The reversed controls are just the tip of the iceburg of the problems Anniversary Collection has. There are all sorts of audio problems in all three versions, none of them support true progressive scan properly, and all of the extras Capcom put in were thrown out the window.

But before you go blaming Capcom for the horrendous Anniversary Collection, the whole thing was outsourced to a developer called Atomic Planet. They are entirely to blame for the way AC turned out. The only blame Capcom has is in approving it.
    Yeah the Xbox port added 480p, just not 240p. Ugh. (to be fair Xbox didn't officially support 240p)
    Last edited by theclaw; 08-15-2015 at 09:28 PM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    <Regarding Megaman Anniversary Collection>
    While I think Capcom would've lost either way they went with this, shame on Capcom for not at least letting the gamer customize it to their own liking as best as possible with configurable controls. Hopefully that's not going to be happening this time around, especially on the 3DS and XB1 where they could potentially be matching up decades old button labels due to the presence of A & B buttons on each, sacrificing playability to a great degree.
    Megaman Anniversary Collection was not a Capcom product. It was ported and developed by Atomic Planet. They are the ones to blame for all of the collection's shortfalls that make it immeasurably inferior to the Rockman Complete Works of which Megaman Anniversary Collection is a hollow shell of.

Among all the things Atomic Planet removed from the Rockman Complete Works were the ability to customize controls. In the Complete Works set, you can make any button do anything you wanted.

The PS2 version echoed the default controls of the Rockman Complete Works and as you mentioned, Atomic Planet "guessed" what would work best for the GameCube controller layout.

Neither version allowed any control remapping at all.

The following year, Atomic Planet ported Anniversary Collection to the Xbox, and while introducing several new glitches where none had appeared prior, one of the things they added was user selectable control presets. Note that not even this version allows controls to be customized, only chosen from predetermined lists.

One of the reasons why Megaman X Collection turned out so much better on both PS2 and Xbox was because Capcom handled it themselves and didn't do a half assed port job of a superior older collection.

My understanding is that the PS2 and XB versions have in the option screen the ability to remap buttons, the Gamecube doesn't. That's why I took that tone, it was like sabotage. I think the GC controller was fine for it, had it been done right or with the choice to, MM Network Transmission basically was a classic MM game in setup and style, the buttons were not reversed and the game was quite enjoyable if underrated. Capcom may not have coded it, but damn if they're to blame not reigning their designer in to fix that mess they exclusively dumped on the GC. And I think we're agreed, if they dink around with the systems today doing the same due to the lettering on the buttons, they're true fools and deserve every bit of hell they'd catch for it.
    The long and short of it is Megaman Anniversary Collection was not a very good port, especially not on GameCube. It's a good _idea_ of for a collection, but the execution was awful, almost as bad as the Sega Smash Pack on Dreamcast.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Yeah the Xbox port added 480p, just not 240p. Ugh. (to be fair Xbox didn't officially support 240p)
    Too bad the Xbox version's 480p support was actually 240p converted to 480i and then to 480p, making it look like shit even though it should have looked great.

Meanwhile. The PSN versions run at 720p, which is directly upscaled from 240p. There was never any interlacing involved.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Are there any collections or plans for a collection to include all of the original Gameboy games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I really wish they'd do that, even as some stealthy unlock surprise. It's not complicated and not unheard of, Nintendo did it with their Kirby package on Wii.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I guess you could always download the 3DS Virtual Console versions of Mega Man I - V (GB series). They don't allow for button remapping and they don't include extras. However they do allow save states (1 automatic, 1 manual), they cost only $3 apiece, and they look a lot better on a 3DS than on an original Game Boy... or Game Boy Pocket... or Game Boy Color. However, playing Mega Man I - V on a Game Boy Advance SP/SP2 or a Game Boy Player or a Super Game Boy or an imported Game Boy Light does look pretty good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Megaman Anniversary Collection was not a Capcom product. It was ported and developed by Atomic Planet. They are the ones to blame for all of the collection's shortfalls that make it immeasurably inferior to the Rockman Complete Works of which Megaman Anniversary Collection is a hollow shell of.
    Thanks for all the information and clearing up a few things.

That said, just because it was contracted out to a 3rd party doesn't mean that Capcom didn't oversee the project. Ultimately, any blame has to fall on their shoulders since it's their game and if it wasn't satisfactory, it's their fault for not seeking changes to rectify issues prior to releasing it. Atomic Planet was working for them, after all.

At least that's how I see it. They should've kept them on a tighter leash and forced some much needed adjustments. It's really not too far away from being a very good collection, but it's quite evident that Atomic Planet settled for "good enough" instead of striving for as close to perfection as reasonably possible.

Too bad that Capcom didn't force the issue a bit, and helped get it there instead of the lazy job that we got instead.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-18-2015 at 06:28 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    I guess you could always download the 3DS Virtual Console versions of Mega Man I - V (GB series).
    I wasn't aware they were there so that's something, but I'm just hoping for a type of physical release. I actually knew someone who sold off his Gameboy Mega Man games when there was supposed to be a GBA compilation coming out, only that got cancelled so he was out of luck. I still feel bad for him after all these years. Most of the games he sold were complete in box too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oooh he screwed up. I remember that rumor, then it turned out to be the MM Zero games and even then that got shoveled off on the DS.

I was aware they existed, did not know they were $3 only. Far better than what MM5GB goes for (or 4 to a lesser degree) which sucks. They're still not real though, just cheap rentals. I'm considering snapping them up. I owned the first two in the day, never got the others and I did get back #2 so far since 1 was kind of annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oooh he screwed up. I remember that rumor, then it turned out to be the MM Zero games and even then that got shoveled off on the DS.
    It wasn't a rumor and it didn't evolve into a Mega Man Zero collection, it got cancelled.

Capcom was indeed working on a colorized compilation of the original Game Boy games for the GBA, right around when Mega Man Anniversary Collection was released. This was officially announced and retailers were taking preorders for it, and I think Capcom even released boxart if I remember correctly. Sadly, something about the incomplete nature of the source code led them to cancelling it after it sat idle on the release schedule for a couple of years.

The Mega Man Zero titles were brand new games around this time, that were collected together years later on the DS in unchanged form, by virtue of the DS being fully compatible with GBA code.

Edit: Here are some old news articles from IGN about this.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/12/...ania-announced

http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/02/...n-mania-change

Last edited by Leo_A; 08-17-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I didn't say it turned into it, I said history turned out to be that mmzero got a compilation package on DS, which it did. I remember something about the GB package being thrown around with some mocked up art for it, but it never happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, but your post made it sound like it somehow wasn't official. You called it just a rumor, when in actuality, Capcom very much had officially announced this project.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-18-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Sadly, something about the incomplete nature of the source code led them to cancelling it after it sat idle on the release schedule for a couple of years.
    Nearly correct. The fact of the matter is that the development team wanted to base the new compilation on the source code from the old games as it would make them play authentically to the originals and make their job easier. The team wouldn't have recompiled the code for the new platform with coloring added in; they wanted the source code to read it over to use as a reference while developing their project as a new code base. However, Capcom of Japan "lost" all of the source code for all of the GB MM games! More accurately, nobody at the company was sure of exactly what happened to all of the materials from the various game projects at Capcom from the time, but it was believed that they had thrown out all of the drawings, models, and papers to make room in the offices and had reformatted the disks to reuse them for newer projects.

The Mega Man Zero titles were collected together years later on the DS in unchanged form, by virtue of the DS being fully compatible with GBA code.
    No again. The MMZ games were re-released as a compilation on DS, but they were changed from the originals to add new "easy" modes to each game, add another mode to play all the games on "hard" mode back-to-back-to-back-to-back in order, and a gallery of unlockable art which required you to complete several different challenges from finishing any game on easy to things like having to play through all 4 games in order on hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The team wouldn't have recompiled the code for the new platform with coloring added in; they wanted the source code to read it over to use as a reference while developing their project as a new code base.
    If it sounds like I suggested that they'd of been ports from the old source code, I really didn't mean for it to read that way.

I'm not familiar with the particulars that were planned with this project one way or another. I never saw anything about the details, although I vaguely recall some mention about incomplete source code as being the cause for cancellation.

No again. The MMZ games were re-released as a compilation on DS, but they were changed from the originals to add new "easy" modes to each game, add another mode to play all the games on "hard" mode back-to-back-to-back-to-back in order, and a gallery of unlockable art which required you to complete several different challenges from finishing any game on easy to things like having to play through all 4 games in order on hard.
    Thanks, I was under the mistaken impression that they were 100% unchanged with no modifications or extras.

I've never played a Mega Man Zero entry in this franchise. Perhaps someday when the GBA Everdrive comes to fruition, I'll see what I think about them. It's the 8 bit era (and Mega Man 9 and 10) that I find appealing.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-18-2015 at 06:31 AM.