Thread: Is it normal for an original Xbox to be really loud?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is it normal for an original Xbox to be really loud?

I got an Xbox(the one released in 2001) from a thrift store, and everything seems to work fine with it, but it's so loud. It sounds kind of like a hard drive noise(albeit the loudest hard drive I've ever heard), but the noise also happens when playing game games, so I wonder if it's actually the DVD drive.

I haven't owned one of those consoles since 2005, and I don't remember it being so loud. Are your consoles like this as well?

crap I put this in the wrong forum

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kwyjibo View Post
    I got an Xbox(the one released in 2001) from a thrift store, and everything seems to work fine with it, but it's so loud. It sounds kind of like a hard drive noise(albeit the loudest hard drive I've ever heard), but the noise also happens when playing game games, so I wonder if it's actually the DVD drive.

I haven't owned one of those consoles since 2005, and I don't remember it being so loud. Are your consoles like this as well?

crap I put this in the wrong forum
    My original xbox is loud as well. I have modded mine as well and the whole thing is loud and always has been.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My original is quiet, but the disc drive on a 2nd hand Xbox that I bought as a spare makes a lot of noise like a Dreamcast does.

The fan seems very quiet.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

could be the fan speed.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it's the fan, that would probably be more of a constant sound, while this sounds like it's loading data. I modded it as well(XBMC), but it was pretty loud before it was modded.

I was thinking that I might buy another one because the sound is really loud. But if this is a common problem I might just go all out and install a big hard drive and not even use the stock hdd or DVD drive. I'm not exaggerating when I say this is the loudest piece of equipment I've ever owned

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Weird. I've put 400/500 gb drives in a few I softmodded. I do run the fan a bit higher speed largely because the hdds heat up far more than the stock.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could also grease the rails DVD to quiet it down some. I haven't used my drive on mine since I modded it. I just ripped all of my games to it and play off of that.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Weird. I've put 400/500 gb drives in a few I softmodded. I do run the fan a bit higher speed largely because the hdds heat up far more than the stock.
    Is the fan speed adjustable through software, or do I have to mod it?
    Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    You could also grease the rails DVD to quiet it down some. I haven't used my drive on mine since I modded it. I just ripped all of my games to it and play off of that.
    I'm gonna open it up this weekend and see if I can isolate the noise.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Is the fan speed adjustable through software, or do I have to mod it?
    Yes, quite easily. I personally use uLeashX but all the modding dashboards can do it. The Xbox OS is a version of Windows, so it's setup like old 98/2000/xp Control Panel.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It sounds kind of like a hard drive noise(albeit the loudest hard drive I've ever heard), but the noise also happens when playing game games, so I wonder if it's actually the DVD drive.
    The hard drive is used for caching data from the DVD, so you would hear it when playing games if it was what was causing the noise. Not saying that's what's happening, just that it could be.

My Xbox (v1.0) is probably my third loudest system, but it's a far distant third after the 360 (which got even louder when I modded it and started running the fans at 100% as a precaution) and the Dreamcast, which has the loudest optical drive I've ever encountered. 3rd loudest as it may be, it's not very loud except when I crank the fan up in xbmc (which is what I'm using it for mostly these days).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OatB0b

The fans on these have always been loud. I've owned three Xboxes and they all suffer the same noise issue. It's laughable to think that I relied on one of these as a DVD player in college. The noise is bearable for gaming, but unacceptable for film watching. This is my opinion.
    it's thinking

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Early models (1.0 and 1.1 I think) have an extra fan on the GPU that is really noisy. My Halo (green) 1.4 has a larger heat sink instead and is quiet by comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As others have said, the original Xbox has always been a loud console. The fact that the system shipped with a sleeve bearing fan doesn't help, as though things get loud really damn fast by way of wear and tear. The speed of the fan may be irrelevant if the bearings are worn out. Ball bearing fans are considerably quieter than sleeve bearing fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My original Xbox has never been that loud, especially when compared to my launch PS3 and gen one 360. The only time I even notice the original Xbox making noise is when I use to watch dvds on it. But other than that the system noise was never louder than what was going on in the game.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just an update that I forgot to make months ago, for anyone who is interested. I took it apart and determined the the noise to be the hard drive.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just an update that I forgot to make months ago, for anyone who is interested. I took it apart and determined the the noise to be the hard drive.
    I just purchased an OG XBOX as well and it is indeed the hard drive. The fan isn't even the problem at all. I guess the HDD has always been this loud? Mine sounds like a buzzsaw. That HDD is going full speed at all times regardless of what is going on.

I hooked up a modded one and set it to "quiet" mode for the HDD and it was still loud. I think it's time to spend more time on the PS2. Such a shame. TOO LOUD!