Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shenmue III - For Real This Time (Was "Yu Suzuki, a Forklift, & E3 - What Does It Mean?")

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

So glad I bought a copy of shenmue 2 for the xbox recently to replay for $20 cause I have a feeling the demand is gonna drive the price up. Wish I'd bought some Dreamcast copies to though - finally spotted a euro version of Shenmue 2 in the wild for $80 at a local shop. I look forward to replaying these even dated as they are but man remastered editions would be great alongside/prior to the 3rd game. The kickstarter has some great options and I hope I get a chance to help out soon (broke) little bummed it won't see xbox one release but oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This Eurogamer article helps clear things up a tiny bit more:

Speaking to Eurogamer's Oli Welsh last week, Sony's president of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida provided a little more clarity on the relationship. "I cannot talk about the specifics of the deal, but I can talk about the set-up," he said. "It's the third-party relations team's work. They've been supporting many indie developers - you've seen Adam Boyes or Shahid Ahmad showcasing indie developers over the last few years. When the third party relations team identifies some great indie game being developed they strike a deal so it comes on PlayStation first on console, or something like that.

"There's a variety of ways of support, including financial support. When the game's not being funded at that point, the developer has to come up with some funding themselves, for third party relations team to help - because third party relations is third party relations - if we fund the project then it's first party! It's my job! There's a great difference. If Suzuki's Kickstarter is successful [and very quickly after our conversation it was], SCEA will add funding and other support."

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. So basically, Suzuki gets funding (Kickstarter backers), SONY gives more funding, SONY gets a limited exclusivity window, Suzuki is afterwards free to target any other console/handheld platforms he wishes. Meanwhile, all "PC platforms" (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.) are available to Suzuki and co. as they see fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still think Sony should have funded it from the beginning and added another exclusive to their stable. But this is the way they wanted this partnership and they know best what works for them. Now it will be interesting to see if this does indeed come to other systems as part of a future stretch goal.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't count on an Xbox port any time soon.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Here is some clarification from the man himself as posted in a Kickstarter update:

Quote Originally Posted by Yu Suzuki
    There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3's budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony's case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3's development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 - Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game's development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.
    I'm calling it now: I believe this fundraiser will garner $6 million dollars by the end of their Kickstarter period. It's already sitting at $3.6 million and is steadily climbing.

Also, as written in the YS Reddit AMA, it seems there will be horse riding and sword fighting in Shenmue III.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Tried playing the first one this past week for the first time. Game is a snoozefest with a lot of plot problems. Plays like a tech demo. Killed any excitement I might've had over this new one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Tried playing the first one this past week for the first time. Game is a snoozefest with a lot of plot problems. Plays like a tech demo. Killed any excitement I might've had over this new one.
    I heard if you keep playing you get to play perfect versions of classic Sega coin-op games like Hang On.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Glad someone feels the same way I do. Just when I was finally starting to get into the game after a lot of stupidity and slow plodding, the game switched to night to abruptly stop any progression. I sold the game and my Dreamcast after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I heard if you keep playing you get to play perfect versions of classic Sega coin-op games like Hang On.
    The best part about Shenmue is playing other Sega games that aren't Shenmue.

One of the dumbest parts I know of in Shenmue, time 1:30-2:40.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJd764u8fMc&t=1m30s

You ask around for a tattoo and agree to join a gang, later the gang member finds out you were just using him for information. Strangely, this gang member isn't angry at all about this, just slightly disappointed that you didn't join him. Nicest gang member I ever heard of. When you combine this type of stuff with all the horrible voice acting, it's all just some horrible B movie that's trying to be taken seriously.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I only played the original in Japanese when it was brand new. I really enjoyed it at the time, but my understanding of the story was very loose due to the language barrier, so I didn't pick up on a lot of nonsense stuff even having completed it. I bought the US version at launch and still haven't gotten around to it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought the Xbox sequel years ago when it was cheap for the arcade games, especially Hang-On.

Can I play that while ignoring the base game? Doesn't sound like something up my alley outside of the arcade games.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I bought the Xbox sequel years ago when it was cheap for the arcade games, especially Hang-On.

Can I play that while ignoring the base game? Doesn't sound like something up my alley outside of the arcade games.
    Yes you can. Just walk into the arcade and play.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

So what do you think of the announcement of the PS4 physical copy reward level for this Kickstarter project which was recently revealed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I will soon pledge. I will just wait a bit to see if a better edition on PS4 becomes available. If not, then physical PS4 version it is.

I still believe he should use the extra money to finish the game instead of expanding areas. I dont want to wait another 14 years to see how it ends, of ever.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

"About that day..."

"You mean the day Shenmue III was funded?"

"Yeah..."

Well, here's the final tally: 69,320 backers pledged $6,333,295.

With that much money and all of the stretch goals which it unlocked, the final game should include:
    • the cinemas from Shenmue I & Shenmue II (They'll be like the recap included with Shenmue II.)
    • Japanese dubbing
    • English dubbing
    • Japanese, English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese subtitles
    • a rapport system (i.e. Some characters will remember what you say and how you act and will react to you differently in the future based upon this.)
    • skill tree system (basically like skill trees in other modern games)
    • Baisha village super-expanded with much more content and many more buildings
    • 5 mini-games
    • an infiltration mission
    • an additional quest
    • a battle event
    • the character perspective system (???)
    • the battle system expanded
    • advanced free battle added

Oh, and Shenmue III set an all-time Kickstarter record for the most money raised in the video games category for a single project. Go world record!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

It better end the series. I dont want to wait another 14 years for the conclusion.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Um, it's been confirmed Shenmue III won't end the series. Yu Suzuki has been talking about how if S3 is a success, then there will be a Shenmue IV and Shenmue V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That doesn't mean that this can't conclude their story-line, does it?

If there's another Shenmue release, it could be set between previous games, perhaps be a prequel, or not even feature Ryo.

Not saying that this would be the case since I simply have no way to know. But this series could certainly continue while this existing story-line is brought to a conclusion in Shenmue 3.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-18-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

He's said previously that he hoped there would be Shenmue III and at least IV in order to complete the storyline properly.

As someone who's completed the first two, I really wonder what he has in store. I thought the pacing in the second game was far better and made for a higher quality playing experience. Pushing it out to 5 total games is a recipe that could easily lead to disappointment if it doesn't deliver.

I guess we'll see!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ogreatgames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It means Shenmue 3 is coming, according to the kickstarter that was launched!
    http://www.ogreatgames.com Hey check out Ogreatgames for video games and much more!