Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shenmue III - For Real This Time (Was "Yu Suzuki, a Forklift, & E3 - What Does It Mean?")

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool, looking forward to the game.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    He's said previously that he hoped there would be Shenmue III and at least IV in order to complete the storyline properly.

As someone who's completed the first two, I really wonder what he has in store. I thought the pacing in the second game was far better and made for a higher quality playing experience. Pushing it out to 5 total games is a recipe that could easily lead to disappointment if it doesn't deliver.

I guess we'll see!
    I agree pacing in 2 was far better. I hope he manages to do these games as well as 2 and gets it all wrapped up in a couple games we can all afford to support cause the support is needed (and to some extent there of course)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

About that update... the update when the news was shared?

Q: How is the production progress going?

A: Please take a look at this diagram. So far, we have finished the composition, story, planning and the game flow. We will be advancing to the next development step soon.

Q: Can you tell us more about the composition stage?

A: Shenmue III is based on the 11 chapters created 17 years ago, and each chapter is set in different regions. For example, the first chapter was set in Yokosuka, second was set in Hong Kong and so on. However, we cannot finish with just one chapter in one region, so I had to restructure the story to fit within the scope of Shenmue III.

Q: What is the story stage about?

A: We had to rethink the storyline to make a more coherent flow, such as writing additional stories and making other changes.

Q: What about the planning stage? What is going on in this part?

A: Since we now know the amount of the funding from the Kickstarter campaign, we can plan the overall budget for development. So I have mapped out the game project to fit that budget scope at this stage.

Q: After the plan is written and ready, what happens in game flow stage?

A: It is about placing various cut scenes, events, battles, and quests in order. We have just finished this stage few days ago, and we will be working on the actual game development now.

Q: What other plans will be upcoming?

A: I will promise that I will be updating you about the progress of the development at least once a month. This is what we have for now.

Q: Is there anything big coming up on your schedule?

A: I am thinking about seeing the 2015 Tokyo Game Show which will be held in September. Also, I am planning to travel to China this October to both attend a game show called CHUAPP×2015, and also to do some location scouting for Shenmue III's development.

Q: Lastly, do you have any stories you could give that occurred during development so far?

A: One night, I went to a Thai restaurant with the development team after work. At that restaurant, a man approached me and asked to shake hands. He said he was a fan, and we had a brief talk. He also happened to be in the game industry and we began to hit it off. We talked some more to find out he really knew his job, and on top of that, he was an exceptionaly good person. I was so impressed, I asked him to help with the development. I couldn't help but feel Shenmue's unique gravity to bring interesting things together.
    Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1336892

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LOB3
    PSN
    GoldyK
    3DS Friend
    0817-3747-2478
    Steam
    segarocks30

This is a major thread bump, but I'm so damn excited for Shenmue 3. It stinks big gaming media had to drum up some skepticism for the Kickstarter gig and whanot without really knowing the facts, but I proudly pledged the $250 for the collector's edition. 100% worth it to me as a huge fan of the first two games. Hope we see a I and II re-release in HD on the current gen consoles as well, but that's probably asking a bit much.
    Dance Dance Toejam and Earl!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by segarocks30 View Post
    I proudly pledged the $250 for the collector's edition.
    Now here's a man that puts his money where his mouth is! $250 isn't just a sneeze in the wind!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Now here's a man that puts his money where his mouth is! $250 isn't just a sneeze in the wind!
    Thank goodness for people like him. I will reap the benefits of waiting until something actually comes out. I just can't do it. I don't preorder unless their is some sort of cash discount for doing so like Best Buy. I am not an investor and I don't see getting the game as a justified reason for me to hope that something comes from my "donation". I play the wait and see on it and hope for the best. What can I say that hasn't been said a million times. Gamers seem to bitch and moan that their wallets are being milked to death and the devs are to blame but we know who is really at fault. I await the fruits of the labor your money is generating.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LOB3
    PSN
    GoldyK
    3DS Friend
    0817-3747-2478
    Steam
    segarocks30

Haha, gotta support what you love, right? I basically screamed like a little girl when the E3 announcement was made, I'm honestly shocked I didn't spend an ill advised grand on some of the other crazy collectible packages they were offering. I completely understand people being hesitant to do it though.
    Dance Dance Toejam and Earl!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You do you booboo but I just can't get so hyped to pay more for the exact same game as everyone else and to pay for it so early in advance with zero guarantee of anything even coming out.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First screenshot here. Looks like Shenmue.
    Last edited by CDiablo; 01-21-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    You do you booboo but I just can't get so hyped to pay more for the exact same game as everyone else and to pay for it so early in advance with zero guarantee of anything even coming out.
    More elitist shennigans here.
    So, they're continuing to accept donations for the game development.
    The attitude among those who donated during the Kickstarter (towards late backers being allowed to receive rewards, which apparently they aren't) ranges is between "NO! Them's MY toys!" and "don't care 'cause I'm getting my rewards".
    For the rewards, by capsule toys, are we talking the same kind of capsule toys that come from those dollar machines? Can't spare more of those, Sega? :P But whatever. People who donate that much are probably concerned with the game funding than a cheap toy.
    But if we're talking not getting a copy of THE GAME ITSELF as part of a donation (at an appropriate level), that's pretty low. "Gee, thanks for funding us making the game. We hope you'll pay again to play the game when it's finished."

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Shenmue 3: A Message from Yu Suzuki, More Screenshots, and Reactions from Backers

An update: https://www.segalization.com/2017/08...arter-backers/

Shenmue 3: Message from Yu Suzuki, More Screenshots and Reactions from Kickstarter Backers
    Draikin August 22, 2017 1 Reply

Yu Suzuki has provided a few comments regarding the latest Shenmue 3 trailer and the game’s new logo, on both the official PlayStation Blog and the Kickstarter page. You can read the comments below, as well as find a batch of old and new screenshots of the game. I also looked into the comments from Kickstarter backers on the latest update.

Message from Yu Suzuki on the PlayStation blog:

Hello PlayStation fans! This is Yu Suzuki, director of Shenmue III.

It’s hard to believe so much time has passed since we debuted the game at Sony’s E3 2015 press conference. Since then, the team has been extremely busy developing the game in Tokyo, but now it’s time to come up for air.

To coincide with Gamescom 2017, we are happy to share the news that we have inked a publishing partnership with Deep Silver! From the early days on the project, the team at Deep Silver really impressed me with their deep passion for the series and their desire to work with us to deliver a proper sequel that all fans will love.

To celebrate the news, I would like to share with you a teaser video built from a small slice of an in-development build of the game. As you will see, the latest chapter in Ryo and Shenhua’s journey begins with a beautiful set piece in China. You’ll also see that we’re aiming to significantly upgrade the game’s visuals, and you may also notice a new character during that quick glimpse of our new battle gameplay…

I’m pleased to be able to offer a small peek into what we’ve been building thus far, and I am looking forward to the opportunity to show you more as we get closer to our 2018 release.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to all those who have supported me and the team. I will continue to work hard to deliver the best possible realization of Shenmue III.

Yu Suzuki

Regarding the logo, Yu Suzuki had this to say on Kickstarter:

I really wanted to bring home the Shenmue logo because this belongs to all of you, and I know how passionate everyone feels about it. As the result, I felt the design should come more from the heart. So, with more than a bit of trepidation, I took brush to hand. I believe we have reached a design that will please, but let me know what you think!

Needless to say, backers had a lot to say about the first teaser trailer and the new logo. Reading the reactions from the backers, what stands out is that just about everyone is asking the team to go back to the previous Shenmue 3 logo. Below you can see both the old and new logo.

Regarding the teaser video itself, most seem to agree that the environments look good, but the character models and particularly the lack of facial animation is something that many feel needs to be updated. The characters’ faces have an overly plastic look to them and their eyes don’t move, giving them an awkward doll-like appearance. That said, I’d argue that gameplay, storyline and voice acting are far more important aspects of the game. And it’s those that I’m personally more worried about, as we really haven’t seen anything from the game in that regard. Until then, it remains difficult to judge what we can really expect from Shenmue 3. Hopefully, we’ll get updates and video footage more frequently moving forward.

Below is a set of high-resolution artwork, provided with the update on the Sony blog. Again, it looks to me that they’re using a shader that is making the game look way too dark. In several of the screenshots showing the environments, a lot of detail is lost in the darker areas because of this. It’s an effect I’ve also seen in games like Mass Effect 2 (where it could be reversed on the game’s PC version by tweaking the Unreal Engine’s settings), but here it’s far more exaggerated. Hopefully this is something they’ll dial back in the future builds of the game, as it really serves no purpose.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Wanna try a game of Lucky Hit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Yu Suzuki Special Interview | Then, Now and Tomorrow | Shenmue 3

of note, Suzuki mentions the fights will not be like Virtua Fighter timing based, but rather puzzle-choreography based. An example he referenced was a players decision to use pick-up an item and attack with it will be a piece of the puzzle choreography.

Shenmue Dojo clarifies in the comments:
    Switch's Phantom River Stone blog has an analysis up for the video, including some clarifications about Yu's comments in Japanese that didn't come across as directly as they could in the English subtitles.
    Which matches with Yu's comments at Gamescom that Choubu alone could have an NPC count of 200.

Similarly, "puzzle game" is a bit of a translation goof, and is actually "thinking-style game", which is the same phrase Yu has used at Gamescom and (I think) in interviews even earlier than that about the combat. It's obviously not referring literally to puzzle games, but was likely used to evoke a sense of strategy Yu has talked about before in regards to the new combat (splitting enemies into smaller groups, knocking objects and other enemies into each other for an advantage, etc). PhantomRiverstone Article: http://bit.ly/2C5qPvu
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 01-14-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

That sounds fairly remarkable and interesting! I'm looking forward to the game more now. I just hope that development doesn't take too many years. Mr. Suzuki is known for letting his ambitions get away with him.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shenmue III Kickstarter
    Hello Everyone,

MAGIC 2019 was held yesterday and along with it came a new trailer release! See the latest Shenmue III trailer here now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenmue III Kickstarter
    How was that? We know we have not put up a development report for a while, but please rest assured that production is steadily moving forward, and we hope to share more info with you very soon!

MAGIC is presented by Shibuya Productions and their CEO, Cédric Biscay, a co-producer of Shenmue III. The event which is five years running hosts “conferences and round tables with famous international authors, game designers, producers, writers and illustrators”, as well as gaming, manga and cosplay contests. For more information, please see the official MAGIC site.

Everyone here on the team is giving it their all and we all thank you for your support!
    The game's currently listed release day is August 27, 2019 for PS4 and Windows.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Does he get to drive a Zamboni in this one?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

This sequel is about 10 years too late for me. Im not buying a PS4 or fancy gaming PC just to play it. Release it on the original Xbox or Dreamcast and I will buy it

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    This sequel is about 10 years too late for me. Im not buying a PS4 or fancy gaming PC just to play it. Release it on the original Xbox or Dreamcast and I will buy it
    I don't believe you will need a particularly good pc to use it. And ps4s will be getting cheaper soon I would think. For me this game is worth a hardware investment

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

System Requirements for Shenmue III's PC Version

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)

DirectX: Version 11

Network: Broadband internet connection

Storage: 100 GB available space

Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate.

*Game is currently in development so system requirements may change without notice. We thank you for your understanding.
    Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2434667

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

And things have been getting ugly. First, when crowdfunding the game, Ys Net (Yu Suzuki) promised both a physical PC and a digital PC release for Steam. Then when Sony gave the group big bank ($$$) to make Shenmue III a console exclusive for PlayStation, slacker backer pledges and pre-orders for PC copies stopped. It's currently publicly unknown whether it is a limited time console exclusive (like a year or two) or a permanent console exclusive, but the PC releases were still supposed to happen. Then they started taking PC pre-orders again after many months. Then even though backers pledged $100 to be the first people in the world to play Shenmue III outside of the Ys Net offices, they weren't. The media at E3 were the first to play the game's beta / demo, and even now the $100+ backers still haven't gotten a chance to play it. Then Deep Silver signed with Ys Net as Shenmue III's publisher. As if that wasn't bad enough, it was then announced that Epic gave Deep Silver big bank ($$$) to make Shenmue III a PC exclusive for Epic Game Store, with the aforementioned Steam version left in purgatory with a pending announcement to be made after E3. Then it was stated that the exclusivity with the Epic Game Store would be for one year so that Steam players, even ones that pledged a lot of money back in 2015, would have to then wait that full year before playing. And to add another offense to that injury, it was also announced that the "physical" PC copies would just be a disc with an Epic Game Store installer on it which, once someone signed up for an EGS account and signed into it, would then launch a long, 100 GiB download. That's right, the "physical" copy of the game is not even a proper copy of the game, just an installer for a launcher that will then fetch a huge download. Talk about fumbling the football at the five yard line! Things are going to be interesting when this game (finally?) launches on September 19th, 2019.

JULY 2, 2019
    UPDATE #104
    Update On PC Version Rewards
    Posted by Ys Net
    CREATOR
    763 Comments
    162 Likes
    日本語はこちら

Hello Everyone,

Regarding the recently announced Epic Games Store exclusive, all of us here at YSNET, Deep Silver and Epic are taking the matter with utmost concern and would like to clarify the circumstances leading to the decision and offer backers options for moving forward.

As noted in the updates and survey at launch, we had originally planned for PC distribution through Steam. Taking publishing and sales considerations into account, YSNET and Deep Silver agreed to our partnership with Epic Games Store on PC version distribution. As a publishing partner, Deep Silver has greatly contributed not only to sales and marketing, but to scaling up the game so there is more Shenmue III to begin with. Also, Epic Games has been with us from the start of the project when we adopted Unreal Engine 4 for development, and have given us their support throughout the development process.

In response to backers who have requested Steam keys for their rewards, we discussed offering the keys on the day of release. However, coordination with the sales policies of the involved companies was untenable, and as a result we are not able to make a day one distribution option for Steam keys available.

That we are not able to offer Steam keys for Kickstarter rewards at the time of the game’s release is a great disappointed and inconvenience for those backers who were expecting to receive them. We deeply apologize for the unrest caused by the announcement.

Response Policy

The team would like to offer the following:

Version Availability

a. PC Physical: Package (Disc) + EGS Key

b. PC Digital: EGS Key

c. PS4 Physical: Package (Disc)

d. PS4 Digital: PSN Voucher Code

*If selecting either the PC Physical or PC Digital version, an option to also receive a Steam key one year later will be available. Backers must manually select this option in the survey to receive the Steam key.

**If you had previously selected PC and want to change to PS4 or vice versa, you may do so.

Survey Implementation

We are currently working on the necessary changes to the backer survey system. We ask for your patience as there will be a short wait while the preparations are made. Once the survey changes have been implemented, there will be an announcement here in the updates with details and notice of the survey response period. (Changes to your shipping address may still be made through the backer survey up until shipping begins.)

Concerning Refunds

Along with Deep Silver and Epic Games, we have agreed that should the above proposal not be acceptable to backers, refund requests will be honored.

Details concerning the refund request process will be announced in a following update. We ask for your patience until that time.

*In the case rewards within your reward tier, such as in-game content, have already been created and implemented, a full refund may not be possible.

PS4 Region Selection

PS4 regions are automatically set based on the country information answered the through your backer survey. However, there will be an option through the backer survey that will allow you to change your PS4 region during the Survey Response Period. If you would like to change your PS4 region, you will be able to select from four regions: US, EU, Japan and Asia. An announcement will be made when the option is added to the survey.

SIEE: Europe / Middle East / Africa / Oceania

SIEA: North America / Middle America / South America

SIE Japan: Japan

SIE Asia: Asia (excl. Mainland China and Japan)

PC Physical version

The PC Physical version will be delivered on disk. However, the disk will contain the Epic Games Store installer and not the actual game data.

*Please note, if your region selection differs from the PS4 system region or the console setting, PlayStation™Network online services or DLC may not function properly.

**Also, please be aware that a PS4 "cross region" selection may cause a shipping delay.

About stretch goal

We have provided below an explanation on differences between the stretch goals that were promised during the campaign and the actual elements implemented in the final version.

Stretch Goals Reached and Final Implementation

Some stretch goals that were reached during the campaign were not able to be implemented. There were also stretch goals not reached that were able to be implemented. Development began in line with the stretch goal content, but with the addition of sales partners during production, we were able to increase our development budget. In order to maximize game quality under the adjusted budget, game planning was fundamentally altered and ultimately allowed us to incorporate a number of different elements beyond our original expectations. Listed here are the major changes.

Campaign Stretch Goal Elements

Achieved stretch goal elements not implemented

・Character Perspective System (Implementation could not be achieved in this game.)

Achieved stretch goal elements changed

・Skill Tree System was changed to the Skill Book System to better fit the battling style.

・Baisha area changed to Fortified Castle area. Mini-games, infiltration event, battle event, investigation and battle event have been implemented in the Fortified Castle area.

Stretch goal elements not achieved but implemented

・Please see the image above. 10 of the unreached elements will be included in the game.

Non-Stretch Goal Elements

Story Improvements

・Shenmue III begins the day after Shenmue II leaves off. The story now includes more cinematic scenes and nostalgic flashbacks to naturally draw new players in (and fans back in) to the world of Shenmue.

Scaled Up Free Roaming Enviroment

・Initially, the Guilin area was to be organized into three areas: Bailu, Choubu (Niaowu), and Baisha, but to accommodate major additions and changes to game elements, Baisha became Fortified Castle area, and focus shifted to expanding Choubu (Niaowu). We have in effect been able to achieve a scale greater than that of Shenmue II and bring the fun of an "open world" to life. To better experience quests and events, NPCs and things to interact with in the cities have been multiplied beyond what was originally envisioned making for a more complete Shenmue experience.

Powered Up Battle System

・With the inclusion of the Skill Book System and the Dojo System, you can train or have matches any time you want for deeper, more immersive play. Battle difficulty can be changed in-game to be enjoyable for beginners all the way to experts.

Game Cycle Improvements

・Story progression, skill acquisition, training, mini-games, jobs and other elements that were independent from each other in previous games have been worked to flow into a singular game cycle.

Message from Yu Suzuki

I first want to thank all of you for your enduring support from the bottom of my heart. This announcement was made in the coordination of all our partners. As such, it was not presented in a timely fashion which I apologize for. We have at last been able to report the results of the project team's review of the EGS exclusive distribution deal.

The project team is currently concentrating on finishing up to release the game. We are working hard to deliver a game better than hoped even if by a little for the announced release date. Along with the significant project changes at the heart of this announcement, there have been many other changes since our original assumptions. I believe, however, that the game overall has been strengthened and that Shenmue III has assuredly been transformed and is heading in a positive direction.

Thank you always for your support.

---------- General Information ----------

Inquires

Kickstarter Campaign Inquiries

For inquiries regarding the Kickstarter Campaign, please email us at info(at)shenmue.link.

Epic Games Store General Sales Inquiries

For inquiries regarding the General Sales such as Epic Games Store exclusive or Pre-Order, please see our FAQ page. For other inquiries please visit Deep Silver customer support.

System Requirements for PC Version

*Game is currently in development so system requirements may change without notice. We thank you for your understanding.

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)

Additional Info: Requires Epic Games Store Client to activate.

Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 (3.60 GHz)

Memory: 16GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Additional Info: Requires Epic Games Store Client to activate.

Fangamer and Third Party Use of Personal Information

YS NET has a written contract with Fangamer to carry out the backer surveys. Fangamer is a formal representative of YS NET to help process and fulfill all backer's orders through the surveys. Personal information is handed over and treated in accordance with the privacy policies of both companies for the purposes of conducting the surveys and reward delivery only. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
    Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2553891