Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $40 Season passes now?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default $40 Season passes now?

Batman Arkham Knight has a $40 season pass. I am sure some other games have done this before but I am fucking shocked that this isn't really being talked about anywhere. Are people that used to it now? I was browsing this on Steam in the US BTW. It makes me want to pirate games again. It isn't like there is a ton of competition for season pass sales. I was trying to see if the season pass for Batman Arkham orgins was on sale and of course they are just normal price. So it looks like I will never get to play the full game unless I want to pay full price for them or put up the black flag and start pirating them. I am sick of season passes. Every game is over $60 now and it is the reason the price has stayed at $60, of course to get the full game you have to pay more money.

Sorry for ranting. I just hate my hobby now and all the sheep that let this happen to us. Why do gamers feel like they are the ones that should be grateful to the companies that make games? Why isn't it the other way around? There seems to be zero customer appreciation. Oh, well not shit I can do about it. Everyone has to have the cock of their favorite dev, writer, director, actor in their mouth 24/7 and will never see anything wrong with it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I find more repulsive is that I tried to come up with a list of 2014 retail games that do not have a season pass and I think the list was less than 5 games(all I can remember is South Park). A large % of games are now just a vehicle for dlc. What is worse it that I can't get behind this practice so I have to wait years until I get a GOTY version(I will probably get Fallout 4 GOTY in 2017-18) or skip games all together.
    Last edited by CDiablo; 06-21-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Honestly seeing developers try to defend this stuff is pretty funny. Maybe if every game didn't cost $300 million dollars...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    Batman Arkham Knight has a $40 season pass. I am sure some other games have done this before
    I'm not 100% sure about the single player games but Call of Duty and Battlefield have had $50 season passes since they started them a few years ago. I do think that their should be a little bit of outrage but I've already made the decision to wait for the game of the year version of Batman: Arkham Knight. WB Games made that decision for me when they decided to give every retailer some kind of exclusive content at launch.

As for season passes in general, I don't like them in general but don't mind them as long as they are optional. Sometimes you enjoy a game so much that you don't mind an extra few missions for a small fee. That way you don't have to wait for a full sequel. But the practice these days seems to be purposely holding back content until after launch(sometimes it's already on the disc you bought at launch) and that is beyond annoying.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sorry for ranting. I just hate my hobby now and all the sheep that let this happen to us. Why do gamers feel like they are the ones that should be grateful to the companies that make games? Why isn't it the other way around? There seems to be zero customer appreciation. Oh, well not shit I can do about it. Everyone has to have the cock of their favorite dev, writer, director, actor in their mouth 24/7 and will never see anything wrong with it.
    I see the Batman thing as the evolution of the shit Microsoft first tested on a lot of suckerfish with their bait called xbox live. Sure, you could buy the same game always with Sony, often enough in the earlier days (gamecube) from Nintendo too, yet it was Ms that wanted to squeeze stupid people for $50 (or more monthly) to be given the right to fully access their game to use the multiplayer parts. Depending on the game as an xbox owner you paid $50 and only got like 33% - 80% of the whole experience depending on design while the other console owners paid once and got it all. This worked so well that they kept it up, and then Sony copied it on PS3 as an option with fluff features, and now on PS4 you have to buy the shitty PS+ access to play. The access of the season pass is the next logical step. When you get your fish on the bait you can keep reeling them in and they don't care they're being shanked by a hook as the bait is tasty. Those who wise up like yourself and others (who buy game of the year versions) don't bite the hook or jump off the line and wait.

I'd advise just waiting on a game of the year version, or sticking to GoG.com where stuff just works, totally works, and you own everything. Once you give up a little control someone will jump in to take and take some more.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I do think that their should be a little bit of outrage but I've already made the decision to wait for the game of the year version of Batman: Arkham Knight. WB Games made that decision for me when they decided to give every retailer some kind of exclusive content at launch.
    Same here. If everything was included on disc and not day one DLC it'd have been fine buying it earlier and probably purchase the GotY edition later if the season pass stuff was really even worth it. WB and Deep Silver are fairly new and have quickly became the worst publishers when it comes to bs DLC practices so I'm disappointed in anything that I'm interested in that happens to be published by them. Nintendo is also new the DLC game and they're already up there with this bs as well. I just got my Wii U and one of the games I purchased was Splatoon, only to find out yesterday or the day before that more content than the game releases with is disc locked content only to try and extend gameplay. It's not a major issue because Splatoon is pretty much an online only game, but there's stuff like Mario Golf and Fire Emblem which are ridden with DLC.

Stuff like this is just inexcusable and like kai, I'm starting to hate the hobby as well just because all of the bs surrounding it all. We shouldn't have to do research to see whether we're going to get screwed over for buying a game or not, or whether it has to be patched 50 times before it becomes playable, etc. The game should be 100% complete without all the patches, without all the DLC. Want to give us more content? Do like Diablo 2 and games on the PC did in the past releasing expansions. Do like Rockstar did on GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption, actually giving us a full game worth of content which later on was released on disc. Don't do this bullshit holding a fourth of the story and catwoman as a playable character back(Arkham City,) or holding a stage, new boss, and playable character back(Mighty Number 9,) etc. Developers should make their games worth purchasing and people will purchase them as doing all these shady behind the scenes deals and bullshit can't be more profitable with as many potential sales that they've lost or pushed to a heavily discounted price.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ugh I had no idea Nintendo went against their word on DLC. They had been sticking to the so called promise of optional DLC. The one glaring slap in the face I remember was Mario Golf on 3Ds where they sold it for $10 less, and left out stuff and said so media wise (not on the box which is deceitful) due to that, yet if you added up the losses the game was like $5-10 more than a usual retail price. I sold the game due to that. Fire Emblem though that one the DLC is a mix of free stuff and optional extras that add nothing but more time to the game and no reward that'll cripple you not getting at it, so that's fine...fluff stuff they promised. We all know my sad dislike of not the system but the mishandling of the WiiU so I no longer have it, so I had no idea they did that on Splatoon. That stuff is clearly things they took swipes at casually nitpicking how DLC was handled and like hypocrites they pull a Capcom and ship on disc locked content?? That's crap.

I'm swinging towards not really hating the hobby, but hating aspects of it. The scalper shitheels who wrecked buying 8-16bit console games from Nintendo and secondarily others, and yet on the whole the limited packages from any maker to the Amiibo farming to knife people wanting a particular one is disgusting. When you collaborate the abuses with the DLC shenanigans that have been worsening for some years now along with this pay to multiplayer garbage MS started the others are in on now too...why the hell should I care? All good points why I saved like hell last year and sold stuff to get this crazy ass high tier gaming laptop followed by shoveling more over valued junk to get a pinball table. Also it points to why I decided after swearing off it for years why I care about owning GB, GBC and GBA games again -- they're oddly and for whatever reason I don't understand, not scalped or abused on almost all of it, it's like the old days where maybe 10% of it was legit expensive due to some real reason like low print runs or a jerked license, and the rest falls into that $1-10ish range. These days even with that I do more with my kindle, laptop, pinball than I do video games, and the PS4 hasn't had a game in it since april (pinball arcade to make a point) other than blu-rays and dvds for mostly the kid. The 3DS gets fair use, but I've been off it mostly about a month now other than some puzzle and dragons.

These days I'm fairly fed up. If the game is on PS4 and it stays there, it's unique, not shovelware, not port crap, and I like how it ends up I'll get it. Maybe at $60, maybe if I think it'll fall to $40 fairly quick I'll give it a few months. The 3DS is about the same but being cheaper I'm less testy about price and because I can take it anywhere. Other than that I just don't care unless something fun pops up on GoG (or if they don't have it Steam.) I avoid the abuses and it's a happier thing.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are GOTY editions really the final version or do some of them still have to update? This is the worst offender as far as I concerned. Nothing like a "complete" edition.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/278080/
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I see the Batman thing as the evolution of the shit Microsoft first tested on a lot of suckerfish with their bait called xbox live.
    As usual you are wrong. This is a natural progression of map packs for shooter games and expansions from other earlier PC games. Unless Microsoft was responsible for all of those(which happened before the original Xbox launched) then this evolution to the current season pass has nothing to do with them.

Sure, you could buy the same game always with Sony, often enough in the earlier days (gamecube) from Nintendo too, yet it was Ms that wanted to squeeze stupid people for $50 (or more monthly)

Um....you are a hot mess of misinformation, especially if you think people actually pay $50 for Xbox Live. Over the past five years I've constantly and vehemently mentioned this(and others have echoed the sentiment) but nobody actually pays full retail for Xbox Live. I've been a member for close to a decade and have NEVER paid more than $30 a year. For several years it only cost $12 thanks to Walmart clearances and there's also craigs list to consider. I'll have to check with kupo or another PS+ member but I'd take a guess that they aren't paying the full $50 either. Thats what deals are for.

This worked so well that they kept it up, and then Sony copied it on PS3 as an option with fluff features, and now on PS4 you have to buy the shitty PS+ access to play.
    Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't own Sony or the Playstation brand and as such has no bearing on their business decisions. Playstation members have to pay for online multiplayer on PS4 for two simple reasons: A) Sony as a business decided this was the best thing to do in order to add another revenue stream and B) when they announced this at E3 two years ago Sony fans like yourself were so busy clapping and applauding everything else that you didn't mind when Sony threw this up on the monitor. So to Sony that meant that their fans were ok with it. So as far as paying for PS+ you can blame either Sony or you can blame yourself but you definitely can't blame Microsoft.

Are GOTY editions really the final version or do some of them still have to update?
    They're suppose to be but you know how that goes.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Uhh no, I'm not wrong, and I'm usually not you fool. MS propagated a lot of the problems, I'm not saying they created them.

You can choose to try and discredit me with your opinions and falsehoods, have at it. I'm not going to play into the trap. Sure, everyone didn't pay full price for xbox live on any of their systems. Keep telling yourself that. Because you haven't since you were smart enough to shop clearances or get online gift cards or whatever, a lot of people don't. They just find a card of the shelf or they run the credit card through the system. I never said that MS owned Sony, you're making up more stuff. MS started the model on consoles, and Sony decided to copy it as it was an easy extra revenue stream. I'm hardly a Sony fan, I just don't dislike them like microsoft. Historically a NIntendo one, and I'm fairly fed up with them too after their last 2 consoles.

Fact is I don't pay for ps+ and I likely never will. I see no value in paying for online multiplayer, and I don't have the time to get the money out of the free monthly games Sony throws out there either so this whole argument is fairly pointless. I wasn't taken with it when they announced it, was more offended by it since I had the PS3 at the time. I took the freebie months they gave me then let it go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Batman Arkham Knight has a $40 season pass. I am sure some other games have done this before but I am fucking shocked that this isn't really being talked about anywhere. Are people that used to it now? I was browsing this on Steam in the US BTW. It makes me want to pirate games again. It isn't like there is a ton of competition for season pass sales. I was trying to see if the season pass for Batman Arkham orgins was on sale and of course they are just normal price. So it looks like I will never get to play the full game unless I want to pay full price for them or put up the black flag and start pirating them. I am sick of season passes. Every game is over $60 now and it is the reason the price has stayed at $60, of course to get the full game you have to pay more money.

I'm going to state the obvious. If you hate the hobby, why continue to buy games? There's plenty of games out there that would take more than a lifetime to play that don't participate in this practice.

There's also heavy development in the indie scene where you won't find as much of this. There's more to gaming than just AAA titles and big corporations.

Honestly, this is just marketing so the publisher doesn't have to tell you the truth. Basically, they want $100 for Arkham Knight. It's like charging $4.99 for something. It really is $5, but the company marks it down a penny so that people will think it's $4. I'm going to say this so it's clear.

The price for the full game of Arkham Knight is $100 when rounded properly. The absolute price for the full experience is $59.99 + 39.99 = 99.98. It's fucking $100. If you can't afford that or don't want to pay that much, you can't legally own Arkham Knight. Period.

I don't like this practice either, but I'm a little more broad and don't like the concept of taxes, shipping, fees and extras tacked onto the final price of anything. I just want to know the final price after all that bull shit noise. I wish they would just slap a $100 price tag on it and say you get everything, but as kupo states, you have to research the final price now because of marketing.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    I'm going to state the obvious. If you hate the hobby, why continue to buy games? There's plenty of games out there that would take more than a lifetime to play that don't participate in this practice.

There's also heavy development in the indie scene where you won't find as much of this. There's more to gaming than just AAA titles and big corporations.

Honestly, this is just marketing so the publisher doesn't have to tell you the truth. Basically, they want $100 for Arkham Knight. It's like charging $4.99 for something. It really is $5, but the company marks it down a penny so that people will think it's $4. I'm going to say this so it's clear.

The price for the full game of Arkham Knight is $100 when rounded properly. The absolute price for the full experience is $59.99 + 39.99 = 99.98. It's fucking $100. If you can't afford that or don't want to pay that much, you can't legally own Arkham Knight. Period.

I don't like this practice either, but I'm a little more broad and don't like the concept of taxes, shipping, fees and extras tacked onto the final price of anything. I just want to know the final price after all that bull shit noise. I wish they would just slap a $100 price tag on it and say you get everything, but as kupo states, you have to research the final price now because of marketing.

I hate the current version of the hobby. As you said there are tons and tons of games to play. I just happen to enjoy playing the newer games too. I agree with you that the price should literally be $100 on the page. I always shop for deals anyways that is why I saw this season pass price. I was hoping to get the older games season passes but they were not on sale of course. The base game was on sale for $4.99 but the season pass was worth $20 still....just annoying crap as always haha. Trust me I am not going to be paying full retail for any game that is coming out soon. I have seen Arkham Knight already on sale at some key sites I use for around $25 so there is that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Uhh no, I'm not wrong, and I'm usually not you fool. MS propagated a lot of the problems, I'm not saying they created them.

You can choose to try and discredit me with your opinions and falsehoods, have at it. I'm not going to play into the trap. Sure, everyone didn't pay full price for xbox live on any of their systems. Keep telling yourself that. Because you haven't since you were smart enough to shop clearances or get online gift cards or whatever, a lot of people don't. They just find a card of the shelf or they run the credit card through the system. I never said that MS owned Sony, you're making up more stuff. MS started the model on consoles, and Sony decided to copy it as it was an easy extra revenue stream. I'm hardly a Sony fan, I just don't dislike them like microsoft. Historically a NIntendo one, and I'm fairly fed up with them too after their last 2 consoles.

Fact is I don't pay for ps+ and I likely never will. I see no value in paying for online multiplayer, and I don't have the time to get the money out of the free monthly games Sony throws out there either so this whole argument is fairly pointless. I wasn't taken with it when they announced it, was more offended by it since I had the PS3 at the time. I took the freebie months they gave me then let it go.

Well you are wrong and you don't need me discrediting you, your post do that job just fine on their own with all the shit you constantly make up. As I already pointed out Microsoft didn't start this evolution that lead to season passes which is what you said in your first post. It doesn't take a huge leap of logic to figure out that even if Microsoft never charged people for Xbox Live we would still have gotten season passes as developers keep experimenting with various revenue streams.

Maybe some people paid full retail for XBL or PSN but the majority of people on sites such as this are well informed enough to find deals, not just me. As for the Sony comment, I wasn't sure how else to explain why you thought Sony had to do what Microsoft did unless you thought they owned them and told them what to do. If Sony didn't charge for online during the 6th or 7th gen(when Microsoft was charging) then they didn't have to charge during the 8th gen either. You pretty much made it sound like it was Microsoft's fault they did it and it wasn't, it was Sony's choice and it was a smart business decision for them. Thats the point I was trying to make.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sony realized they were missing out and changed their game play when it was convenient with the PS4 launching.

I've paid full price for both but it's really because I would subscribe for just a month or two at a time to play specific things with friends. Or in the case of PSN, to take advantage of deep discounts like during their crazy Halloween sale a year or two ago. Of course, now I feel ridiculous for not buying the majority of those titles on Steam. They'll disappear within a handful of years from PSN...
    Last edited by sfchakan; 06-23-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    A large % of games are now just a vehicle for dlc.
    Most games are now online store fronts that you are expected to pay $60 for. Each game is designed to have in-game hooks that are essentially nagware to purchase DLC.

The most rage inducing example of this I encountered was in Dragon Age Origins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    Sony realized they were missing out and changed their game play when it was convenient with the PS4 launching.

I've paid full price for both but it's really because I would subscribe for just a month or two at a time to play specific things with friends. Or in the case of PSN, to take advantage of deep discounts like during their crazy Halloween sale a year or two ago. Of course, now I feel ridiculous for not buying the majority of those titles on Steam. They'll disappear within a handful of years from PSN...
    Exactly, you get it no stuck in some fantasy bubble. Sony saw how easy it was to exploit gamers on their captive audience thanks to xbox live pulling it since the beginning. PS3 inched it in with PS+ being optional, and then went all out with PS4 yet to pad the blow have the monthly free games that work with the sub being active. Youre right though console stuck downloads are a trap, its clear now seeing how when one network goes away or system goes away for the next if you move along the goodies really do not, but on Steam(and GoG) they do. I rarely if ever buy a console download for that reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is why I'm glad I only got a 360 a year or so ago. By now, any game I really care about already has a "complete" edition so I don't have to worry about it.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm starting to wonder myself about that if I was making a mistake trusting Nintendo twice and being burned twice now. Sony I never trusted, so when I got a system it had been out at least a year or two already and had some games unique to it I'd play and enjoy with more on the horizon. Nintendo I went in immediately and within a year the support crumbled due to their own arrogance in design and treatment of others. This next go around with the NX, if it's a console and not a handheld I'm thinking of giving it some serious lead time on the shelf before I'd bite if I do.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

This crap is the biggest reason I haven't touched an XboxOne or PS4. There's nothing I'm dying to play yet, and I won't buy a game I can't get a physical copy for and have the complete experience I want without DLC, because I want to be able to play them whenever I want, wherever I want, and I only pay for a game once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    This crap is the biggest reason I haven't touched an XboxOne or PS4.
    You aren't alone. A lot of people who have a last gen system(360 or PS3) haven't seen the need to upgrade to a XBO, PS4 or Wii U yet, although in the Wii U's case I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it truly is when you consider some games that haven't come out for Wii U had versions made for the 360 and PS3.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P