Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xbox Collectors: Where are they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I never had a problem with my crappy PC back in 2004-2005 running the original KOTOR. I bought both on Steam some time ago but haven't gotten around to trying them out yet.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few games for my old XBOX and I love it. It was a great system for the time. I had an xbox live account for a little while on it but then just used the tunneling software to play my games online. Which I assume is why most games released today don't have a lan mode. I sold all of my 360 games after my third RROD. I will pick some more up when the BC comes out for the one.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Yet the KOTOR games got superior PC releases, and recently re-releases months ago (if that) on GOG so no more problems and on ios/android devices too. Rogue is and has been bound to the Cube so it's exclusive while KOTOR really never was. And on the other comment, saying the xbox has the best exclusives of that period is a bit of a stretch even if it is just opinion.

Leo is right and it's sad, RS2+3 were going to hit the Wii, I think they were more or less done since conversion wasn't much of an issue, yet it got shelved. It's probably a star wars gamers NES earthbound sized white whale to get if it ever surfaces.
    The Rogue series being on Gamecube doesn't change the fact that the Xbox got the better selection and quality of Star Wars games last gen, that's not even in dispute. And the comment you quoted stated that the Xbox got the better console exclusive Star Wars games. I don't care that most of them got ported to PC because we are talking about console exclusives so just like you won't be playing the Rogue Squadron games on Xbox you won't be playing the Kotor, Jedi Knight Jedi Academy or Republic Commando games on Gamecube.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I bought a 100 xbox game lot with 2 systems and 4 controller s and a ps2 with 37 games for 200$ in february. A lot of crap in the lot, but got a couple of gems like shenmue 2, outrun 2, gunvalkyrie, etc. I really like The Warriors, it looks like an xbox 360 game when running 720p, 480p looks like crap now that i got used to 1080p gaming! I still prefer playing my xbox on a crt with RGB on my pvm, but The Warriiors really shine with component cables on modern tv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wrong thread. Can delete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You have an interesting view of console exclusive. Its in a bubble, but if you narrow the terms that thin sure it only came out on xbox. But the reality of things really is that they could be legitimately played on more than one system, it just happened to be the PC. Ive seen them in action on both, played some of them on PC. I found the PC looked and sounded nicer, and controlled better in enough cases too. Because theyre on PC they really are not exclusive, that's like the sillines ms pulled touting that Titanfall was only on the one, yet it came out on PC too and was better for it with half decent hardware to run it. Rogue though on GC, warezing with Dolphin aside, was on that only. Thats what I was getting at.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW I'm selling 99% of my Xbox collection. PM me if you're interested before I trade them off to a local store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the majority of what you have is basic releases than there's probably nothing I need unless you have some beta's, rare demos or other memorabilia from back then. And my previous statements on the Star Wars games still stand.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 06-23-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

as others have listed tons of great games to be had but many do not collect because well you can pirate. I'd like a collection but would admittedly be more apt for most games to use a hard drive since my budget is limited. Also many of the games were re-released as well. And of course these aren't big name titles either like nintendo or sega have.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    as others have listed tons of great games to be had but many do not collect because well you can pirate.
    That must be why PSP games are so cheap in general. A lot of buffoonery in terms of easily pirating the games, which, IMHO, were quality over DS's quantity ratio. Still, at least I can get what I want without hassle, for the most part.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Generally speaking, if there's a multiplatform game from that gen that has an Xbox version, I'll get that version. The other versions either:

a) Don't do 480p
    b) Do 480p, but require a cable so expensive that I could buy one of the console that comes after it plus the cable it needs for 480p (signal quality difference doesn't bother me on Wii)
    c) Reverse part of the control scheme for insufficient reason (Mega Man Anniversary GCN)
    d) Don't have some of the extra content due to smaller discs
    e) Worse load times -- can you imagine Half-Life 2 loading on the PS2? It was terrible enough on an unmodified Xbox!

If it ALSO has a PC version, I'll get that instead, with the only exception so far being the original Halo (horribly-optimized PC port). Widescreen and higher-res/framerate, plus mods that games like Morrowind and KOTOR II practically NEED? Yes please.

Frankly, I'm glad the Xbox got completely cracked, and not for piracy reasons. Being able to load the games I own onto a massively upgraded-capacity hard drive, plus modifying a faster, PC DVD drive, AND using a higher-speed IDE cable to improve loading times even further makes some games a completely different experience. (No, I'm not going to let you off the hook on that one, Half-Life 2.) Not wearing out an expensive laser or scratching a disc is great too. Same goes for PSP, sans most of the hardware upgrades.

I think that not as many people collect/keep Xbox games compared to GCN/PS2 because of the horrible backwards-compatibility and hardware reliability of its successor, along with Microsoft having their "exclusives" available on their PC os. Combine it with its not-entirely-undeserved reputation for being a FPS-box, huge size, PLUS the ease of piracy, *PLUS* not exactly being hard to find stuff for due to being comparably new....you get a recipe for something that just doesn't scream "I'm a Collectable!", "Nostalgia!", "I'm still worth keeping around!", or "I'm so bad that you've got to have me just to say you have me!".
    I hate it when people write their initials on a game cart's label. Can't get it off without ruining part of the label!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They haven't been born yet, lol

( well, if you look at the current state of SNES and NES collectors. Most seem to have been born way after those machines arrived )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    They haven't been born yet, lol
    Yes we have but as already mentioned there aren't as many as on other systems. Also already mentioned is that this is good because I don't have to compete with many people on ebay when bidding on stuff. But it's not good when trying to do trades or find other desired stuff on sites like this because the pool of Xbox collectors is fairly small. I've still managed to find some stuff on here that I probably wouldn't have been able to find elsewhere but the majority of my finds will always come from online and at this point it's rare I find something I need or didn't know existed.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would have to imagine that garage sales and flea markets would be a good place to find old Xbox games. Craigslist of course.

I'm sure there will be a time when I get Nostalgic for Azurik, but I think that's still about 10 years away..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's still some of us around. Problem is that many of us may have our collection where we want it already. I pretty much have everything I want outside of a few games here and there and i hate that, "Oh, you want this game? this REALLY rare game? Well then, YOU ARE GOING TO PAY FOR IT THEN! MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!" attitude anymore. Games like Stubbs the Zombie, for example. It's NOT a rare game. Maybe a little uncommon as it may not have sold very well, but by no means is it rare. Still, everywhere you go, it's OMG! R@R3Z, OOP!!!! yeah, no thanks. I'm not paying that much money for an XBOX game. Funny how resellers always try and find that one game to rape people on. Conker Live and Reloaded is another one they are stupid with in respect to the price. not sure what else to say. For me, in general, Video game collecting has become much more trouble than it's worth. I am glad I got most of my Turbografx 16 collection, as an example, before things went full on Shelf monkey over it. When I see games like Pac-land being called rare and selling for upwards of $50.00, it's a cold day in Hell. Point is, it makes me sad knowing that one day, there will be XBOX games, other than Steel Battalion for obvious reasons, selling for upwards of $100.00. Just lame as the games really aren't all that hard to find, but they will find a way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    There's still some of us around. Problem is that many of us may have our collection where we want it already. I pretty much have everything I want outside of a few games here and there
    Same here. Most of the remaining stuff I need isn't even Xbox games but rare demos and other memorabilia.

Conker Live and Reloaded is another one they are stupid with in respect to the price. not sure what else to say.
    That game will always command a premium. The N64 version still goes for $50+ used and so does this version. And I can guarantee you that in a few years Rare Replay(which just launched today) will also go up in price for used copies. Not only does it have Conker's on there but several other games that have a decent second hand value as well.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    I can think of a few reasons Xbox stuff is cheap.

- you hit on the biggest reason, which is that it's a living room pc, with generic stuff that was either popular at the time (and has since been replaced with superior sequels or forgotten)

- many of its "only on Xbox" titles were also on pc

- most of its catalog is western (not Japanese) fare

- many of its third party things were at least okay on GameCube, ps2, pc, or all three

- the whole system was cracked wide open and is easily pirated. I would think that many of the biggest Xbox fans have large hard drives full of every game they would want and have little need for original disks.

I can think of a few cool Xbox exclusives not seen elsewhere, like steel battalion and panzer dragoon orta, but so much of the system is forgettable crap. Like every game system!

^^^^^^ This says it all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    That game will always command a premium. The N64 version still goes for $50+ used and so does this version. And I can guarantee you that in a few years Rare Replay(which just launched today) will also go up in price for used copies. Not only does it have Conker's on there but several other games that have a decent second hand value as well.
    Just sad really. The funny thing is it really isn't that great of a game either, to be quite honest. While it isn't the worst game I have ever played, there are so many much better games available on both platforms...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I liked the Star Wars games on Xbox too...in their time. But honestly that time has passed.

Microsoft killed online long ago, so even if you could get a gang of people together to play Clone Wars, Jedi Academy, or Battlefront, it wouldn't work (in contrast to the wide-open PS2 version of Battlefront II, which still has players even now!).

The best games (Starfighter, Republic Commando, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Battlefront II, KOTOR I and II) are easy and cheap to find in digital stores, and they run in higher resolutions and faster frame rates than Xbox ever could, even on cheap hardware like a $200 HP Stream. I really like the mobile port of KOTOR.

The true xbox console exclusive games? I can think of Obi-Wan (was always crap, except possibly the ridiculous pie-fight "battle royale" mode) and Jedi Starfighter, which is also on the PS2. I would love to see a "PS2 Classics" release of Jedi Starfighter like we got on the PS3 last May the 4th, but I'd much rather have a high resolution, widescreen, multiplayer Rogue Squadron trilogy remaster.

Better yet would be for 2015 Battlefront to be so good that we don't need to pine away for old games anymore.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought an OG Xbox in early 2002, and it took me a while to "warm up to." Once I started playing stuff like Burnout 3, Stubbs the Zombie, Fable, and online in Far Cry, Halo 2, and the Battlefront games, I really started to appreciate the console more. I have it hooked up to my 32" LED TV through component, and it's the only console of that generation that does not look absolutely horrid on it, imo. I also prefer its version of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance to any other, even the 360...though I have no actual logical explanation for that. I LOVE wrestling games, and, the Xbox most certainly did NOT deliver in that department.