Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Allowing Homosexual Marriages in Fire Emblem: Fates... Even in North America

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Post Nintendo Allowing Homosexual Marriages in Fire Emblem: Fates... Even in North America

Oh my, how times change. 1980's Nintendo wouldn't have allowed anything like this to exist. But believe it or not, the next Fire Emblem game, Fates, will allow the player to choose whether the protagonist hooks up with a same sex partner. And don't worry, "nobody" has to be left out: it allows for both lesbian and gay marriages. Basically, this applies to only two characters (one male and one female), and marrying either one is completely optional, and you have to work toward it happening, i.e. it doesn't just suddenly drop down as option out of the blue at some point.

On the one hand, hooray for openness and choice! On the other hand, I don't really want stuff like this in my entertainment. I'm not anti-gay (far from it), but when did games stop being about playing and having fun in a neutral in-game environment regardless of who you are? I mean, there are a lot of games from over the decades where you rescue someone just because that person is in peril, not because there is any kind of romance involved between the people. I guess perhaps fogies like me should go back to Pong Sports...

Either way, though, if this game is as good as Fire Emblem: Awakening, then I'll eventually acquire it too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    On the one hand, hooray for openness and choice! On the other hand, I don't really want stuff like this in my entertainment. I'm not anti-gay (far from it), but when did games stop being about playing and having fun in a neutral in-game environment regardless of who you are? I mean, there are a lot of games from over the decades where you rescue someone just because that person is in peril, not because there is any kind of romance involved between the people. I guess perhaps fogies like me should go back to Pong Sports...
    Well said. Games don't need to be getting political and touchy feely to everyone out there's on personal preferences or reason to whine about something well beyond the gay issue. Games are an escape, and it has a story and you either buy it and enjoy it for what it is or ignore it. It's not about being exclusionary and picking on people, it's not a political movement, it's a bloody video game. When games start to really parallel reality either in content/context or trying to appease every group of people, they're effectively dead because the escape from reality is gone and it's just digital pandering.

That said if it's (as you put it) as nice as Awakenings, it'll be worth a buy, and something you have kind of hidden you'll have to dig a lot for anyway can be easily avoided. I'd feel more sorry for someone who felt the need to make that their deciding factor in buying and playing the game because they have some larger underlying(or not) personal problems and issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you two even hear yourselves? Giving players more choice in how to roleplay has never been a bad thing.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 06-24-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

This should be such a non-issue that should just be automatically in the game and no one should be batting an eye. It's completely normal and to be honest not even worth focusing on. It's a gimme. Focusing on it like this won't normalize it like it already should be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Who gives a shit about it. If you don't want to do it then don't, simple as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    This should be such a non-issue that should just be automatically in the game and no one should be batting an eye. It's completely normal and to be honest not even worth focusing on. It's a gimme. Focusing on it like this won't normalize it like it already should be.
    Very true. And as a minority I feel the same way about minority characters and female lead characters. I think now that we are here in 2015 all of this should be completely normal.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Can you two even hear yourselves? Giving players more choice in how to roleplay has never been a bad thing.
    In my mind yeah I can hear it, but writing it still reads the same. It seems more like political and dillution of things to make a subset of people who care that much of a larger subset of people who don't really at all happy. Either way I just see it as pandering, and yes to make a public deal out of it instead of just being quiet and having it there (media whoring stories for hits included) it would be a non-issue as no one would notice or care really. The way I see it, if they're going down the road of people with mental conditions, perhaps they should invent the first mainstream video game where the lead has autism or something, they did this with a good series of manga books (With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child) which got well reviewed and released in english too. Another would be maybe to make a game after some different TLC/Discovery TV series hits like My 600lb Life where you can train your character into a better life?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    In my mind yeah I can hear it, but writing it still reads the same. It seems more like political and dillution of things to make a subset of people who care that much of a larger subset of people who don't really at all happy. Either way I just see it as pandering, and yes to make a public deal out of it instead of just being quiet and having it there (media whoring stories for hits included) it would be a non-issue as no one would notice or care really. The way I see it, if they're going down the road of people with mental conditions, perhaps they should invent the first mainstream video game where the lead has autism or something, they did this with a good series of manga books (With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child) which got well reviewed and released in english too. Another would be maybe to make a game after some different TLC/Discovery TV series hits like My 600lb Life where you can train your character into a better life?
    Being gay is not a mental condition. You don't just become gay. I am not sure if that is what you are trying to say there.

Onto it being in the game then why not? I don't personally care but if someone has to change the vision of their game to cater to everyone then that could be an issue. If you are choosing who you marry in the game then you should have the choice of anyone. I am not even gay but I would probably make the choice to be in a gay marriage in the game. It is just a game after all.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Very true. And as a minority I feel the same way about minority characters and female lead characters. I think now that we are here in 2015 all of this should be completely normal.
    To be honest, I'm ignoring every post in this thread because I really don't think this discussion is that hard. You're right about it applying to female and minority characters too. It's so normal to me that I don't even find anything weird about it except people trying to treat it as a big deal. Like, no shit? There's literally nothing special about characters being these things in 2015.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Oh my, how times change. 1980's Nintendo wouldn't have allowed anything like this to exist. But believe it or not, the next Fire Emblem game, Fates, will allow the player to choose whether the protagonist hooks up with a same sex partner. And don't worry, "nobody" has to be left out: it allows for both lesbian and gay marriages. Basically, this applies to only two characters (one male and one female), and marrying either one is completely optional, and you have to work toward it happening, i.e. it doesn't just suddenly drop down as option out of the blue at some point.

Either way, though, if this game is as good as Fire Emblem: Awakening, then I'll eventually acquire it too.
    . . . (I need 5 characters)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    Being gay is not a mental condition. You don't just become gay. I am not sure if that is what you are trying to say there.

Onto it being in the game then why not? I don't personally care but if someone has to change the vision of their game to cater to everyone then that could be an issue. If you are choosing who you marry in the game then you should have the choice of anyone. I am not even gay but I would probably make the choice to be in a gay marriage in the game. It is just a game after all.
    Actually that was what I was getting at, it's a mental condition. I don't see it as a religious abomination or other crazy junk that's out there, but there's no conclusive genetic documentation showing it's a legitimate gender. Seriously though, I didn't want that line derailing the topic, so if that needs to carry further the off topic section is there for a reason.

Now onto what you said, I was eluding to just that, changing to vision of a game to pander to some small group that'll get vocal and take offense on their behalf and on others whether they'd want to care about it or not. Imagine you had a story where the win creates a relationship that in an RPG brings forward the next generation (a prince/princess) to run the leader position for a sequel, a nice ending, or for the back half of a story..same gender would make that story impossible. I know it's a vague example, but there are ways you can water down or jack someones vision on what a game should be to keep some group of people rom being offended. The question is, how far do you have to take it before everything just falls into some nebulous or over PC shell of itself so everyone and everything is happy? What's next, Mario can't save the princess because that's anti-feminist because she's a weak woman?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh my god. Its not 'changing the vision of the game' WHEN THE DEVELOPERS DECIDED TO PUT IT IN.

Its changing vision and pandering when a company like Nintendo of America actively deciding to censor it out for fear of minority opinion backlash! Like they used to do all the time.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh my god. Its not 'changing the vision of the game' WHEN THE DEVELOPERS DECIDED TO PUT IT IN.

Its changing vision and pandering when a company like Nintendo of America actively deciding to censor it out for fear of minority opinion backlash! Like they used to do all the time.

Yea, I am saying that if I want to make a character be a straight white guy in my game I shouldn't be harassed because of that choice. If the developer wants it in their game then have at it. Just don't try to make them change their vision for the game. IDC who they have in the game as long as it is good. I just don't like people being pressured to change something if they don't want to. Most stories in games are not very good anyways so I am not looking for the story to be much to write home about. There are only a few games that hook me with the story. I mostly just want to play. I would love to see some diversity in games because they are sure as hell are all starting to feel the same.

BTW if a game like Hatred is out there then there really isn't any censorship in gaming. It is mostly the big boys who don't want to take any risks that are to blame for the lack of diversity. This is a good step from Nintendo who is still considered one of the big boys.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is going places.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Actually that was what I was getting at, it's a mental condition. I don't see it as a religious abomination or other crazy junk that's out there, but there's no conclusive genetic documentation showing it's a legitimate gender. Seriously though, I didn't want that line derailing the topic, so if that needs to carry further the off topic section is there for a reason.

Now onto what you said, I was eluding to just that, changing to vision of a game to pander to some small group that'll get vocal and take offense on their behalf and on others whether they'd want to care about it or not. Imagine you had a story where the win creates a relationship that in an RPG brings forward the next generation (a prince/princess) to run the leader position for a sequel, a nice ending, or for the back half of a story..same gender would make that story impossible. I know it's a vague example, but there are ways you can water down or jack someones vision on what a game should be to keep some group of people rom being offended. The question is, how far do you have to take it before everything just falls into some nebulous or over PC shell of itself so everyone and everything is happy? What's next, Mario can't save the princess because that's anti-feminist because she's a weak woman?
    The game gives players the option of getting married. As part of that gameplay choice, players can choose to marry someone of the same sex. Nobody is forced to either get married or marry anyone of the same sex. I'm not seeing what the problem is. Do you just not like games that provide players with choices? If you want to be forced to follow a story from a particular perspective, there are plenty of books and movies and television shows that fit the bill. As a gamer, I am excited about having choices. Nobody is forcing you to buy the game or play the game.

As someone who was done a lot of volunteer work with HIV/AIDS and non-profits that serve the LGBTQ community, I can tell you that I have met plenty of young children who are raised by heterosexual parents that are simply born gay. I believe that it's not a choice or a mental condition, it is in fact just who they are. No amount of bigotry or small mindedness is going to change the fact that this country is becoming more diverse and it's going to create an America for the future that will be vibrant and amazing. I personally am just happy that I'm living in a time when we are actually becoming a country that embraces difference rather than trying to repress it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Being gay isn't a gender, it's sexual orientation. Unless there's some new hip definition of gender I'm not aware of.

I always find the 'I'm not anti-gay, but...' quotes amusing. They provide some mild entertainment of the backward contradictory logic that people come up with so they don't appear a certain way to others.

Yea, I am saying that if I want to make a character be a straight white guy in my game I shouldn't be harassed because of that choice. If the developer wants it in their game then have at it. Just don't try to make them change their vision for the game. IDC who they have in the game as long as it is good. I just don't like people being pressured to change something if they don't want to. Most stories in games are not very good anyways so I am not looking for the story to be much to write home about. There are only a few games that hook me with the story. I mostly just want to play. I would love to see some diversity in games because they are sure as hell are all starting to feel the same.
    I have to agree with this. I can't stand modern day feminists and social justice warriors, which is where a lot of these attitudes come from. If you want equal rights, that's one thing pretty much the vast majority will stand behind. However, nobody has the right to tell others how to think or feel; that is way over the line and a direct infringement on freedom and liberties.
    Last edited by Zthun; 06-24-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two hot chicks

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    Two hot chicks
    ..and a bottle of ketchup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    I have to agree with this. I can't stand modern day feminists and social justice warriors, which is where a lot of these attitudes come from. If you want equal rights, that's one thing pretty much the vast majority will stand behind. However, nobody has the right to tell others how to think or feel; that is way over the line and a direct infringement on freedom and liberties.
    Oh.... And you were doing so well too.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh.... And you were doing so well too.
    I have no right to tell someone how to feel or think. People will think and feel however they please. I can talk with them and try to get them to see my side of it and they can try the same to me as well. If Jerry Seinfeld thinks that colleges are becoming too PC I think we may have a communication problem from both sides.

Stories and gameplay are a creative endeavor. You can't please everyone all the time. At the end of the day though the developers are really beholden to publishers. They don't seem to like diversity in gaming at the moment. If the demand was there you bet your ass there would be more of them. Vote with your wallet. Unless everyone thinks making youtube videos off of kickstarter donations is going to change the world.