Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When's the last time you used your computer's CD drive or DVD drive?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

hmm interesting, I went and said I didn't use mine a whole lot earlier and now that I found out my recent dreamcast pickup can run mil CDs I am burning more.

interesting thing is I was able to get the first one to burn correctly on an ancient CD-R from staples that I had from highschool.
    the next one wont work though and I have gone through a few discs, these other ones are Philips. I set the burn speed to 16x on both, the staples one might have been slower but I don't know because there no indication of max write speed on the disc.
    one of the Philips burns (16x) doesent work period, the second I did AWS (max possible basically) and it gets the second sega screen after the dreamcast logo but then it sounds like some ones having mini laser battles in the system. seriously sounds like little PEW PEW PEWs as its going back and forth. I'm trying to write the next one at 2.4x, it defaulted to the slowest my burner will support which is 4x so we will see.

I bought a puck of verbatims at work incase its a Philips brand problem.

also using ImgBurn for the process

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Used my CD drive today to setup Archon Ultra on my laptop. If you liked the original Archon on the NES, A8, or the C64 then you'll probably like Archon Ultra. I personally think it's a hidden gem. Wow, that's the 1st time I've ever used the phrase, "hidden gem." But I really think it applies to this old DOS game.

http://www.amazon.com/Strategic-Simu...VQDM3S94VX38JP
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 07-25-2015 at 09:34 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Just five hours ago, to install a game.

I actually use my drives more often to backup rare anime DVDs, especially ones that seem scratched and have trouble playing in a player--often I can make an ISO of them then play it with VLC just fine.

So yeah I can't imagine getting a comp without an optical drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I hooked up my external DVD drive last night, so I could watch the concert film for the comedy podcast The Thrilling Adventure Hour.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I can't recall I am very download and stream oriented these days for better or worse. My drive works sometimes other times not-one of the reasons I no longer bother

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    hmm interesting, I went and said I didn't use mine a whole lot earlier and now that I found out my recent dreamcast pickup can run mil CDs I am burning more.

interesting thing is I was able to get the first one to burn correctly on an ancient CD-R from staples that I had from highschool.
    the next one wont work though and I have gone through a few discs, these other ones are Philips. I set the burn speed to 16x on both, the staples one might have been slower but I don't know because there no indication of max write speed on the disc.
    one of the Philips burns (16x) doesent work period, the second I did AWS (max possible basically) and it gets the second sega screen after the dreamcast logo but then it sounds like some ones having mini laser battles in the system. seriously sounds like little PEW PEW PEWs as its going back and forth. I'm trying to write the next one at 2.4x, it defaulted to the slowest my burner will support which is 4x so we will see.

I bought a puck of verbatims at work incase its a Philips brand problem.

also using ImgBurn for the process
    The only media worth buying is either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, those are the only current manufacturers making archival quality media. I would only use anything else if I found it extremely cheap and didn't expect it to last long. ImgBurn is a good burning program, just record on the slowest speed available(like 4X) and it should be fine.

For burning discs it's not just the brand of the disc, but the firmware of the burner being used. The firmware needs to support the brand of discs being used, you have a better chance of compatibility using well known and trusted brands of discs. If a disc is generally unknown but still good quality, a drive might not know how to burn to it properly.