Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crappiest game that you own?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M.Buster2184 View Post
    Maybe I'll have to give it another try. I vividly remember not enjoying it.
    My initial impressions were the same. It didn't become a new favorite or anything with the better controls, but I like it more than I dislike it now.

Insert Coin (Level 0) stlgamer75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just going off memory, these are some of the games from my more played systems that I distinctly recall not enjoying:

Atari 2600: Custer's Revenge - only redeeming factor is curiosity being a Mystique game
    NES: X-Men - one of worst LJN games & I don't mind Jaws and Friday the 13th
    Where's Waldo - awful concept for a video game
    NES/SMS: California Games - I loved this on PC but can't stand any console version
    TG16: Takin' it to the Hoop
    Jaguar: Cybermorph - so boring
    32X: Moto Cross - ugly and unplayable
    Check out my retro gaming blog - Cartridge Corner
    http://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

Console of the Month: PlayStation

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its probably either one of the 8 bit computer Capcom ports, or a Marvel licensed property...

Final Fight for the Spectrum seems really bad, almost unplayable the last time I tried to play it. Controls were terribly unresponsive and the game ran dog slow. Only impressive thing about that game were the sprites.
    Street Fighter 2 for the Spectrum. What do you really expect? There was no way the arcade game could be squeezed onto the Spectrum and the controls were obviously going to be terrible.

Marvel stuff -
    Spider-Man 3 (Gameboy). Its just terrible. The first level has you punching guys on skateboards, and I was bored before I even finshed that level. The controls sucked so I've never actually managed to finish the game either. I mean, Spider-Man 2 for the GB is bad, but I kind of appreciated that they tried to do a Metroid style progression system on that game, and I did eventually finish it, it was annoying but still not as bad as this game!

Fantastic 4 (Playstation). Yeah, just plain bad. Looks terrible because they used polygon graphics and the gameplay had no depth what so ever for a 2D scrolling fighter. Plus for some reason you could fight Ice Man in a bonus game. You know, that X-Man who is a good guy and probably has nothing against the F4 unless the Human Torch flew close to him once?

Hulk Pantheon Saga (Playstation). Just awful. Awful controls that made platforming sections a hassle, awful combat that made fighting a hassle, and a terrible roster of characters that were a really poor fit for a Hulk game (I know its based on a comic, and Maestro rocks, but this game was just awful when it came to telling the story. Get Ultimate Destruction on the Xbox instead).

Wolverine (Snes). This one probably takes the cake since I owned it for so long but never finished it. I lost the game and then repurchased it down the line (it wasn't the cheapest game to buy again either). And I wonder if I "lost" the game or disposed of it. Its bloody awful. Controls suck, combat sucks, story sucks, level design sucks... you get the point. At the end of the game there is a terrible maze level and the bosses were just boring to fight against. That and no checkpoints meant that if you died you went straight back to the title screen. At least passwords exist! Oh, and where the hell was Sabretooth, you know, Wolvies most iconic bad guy?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by stlgamer75 View Post
    32X: Moto Cross - ugly and unplayable
    I'm a 32x fanboy and that game has zero redeeming qualities. I debated and debated and finally got it new for $40 at Software Etc, probably the last 32x game I bought at retail and then the Playstation launched. Didn't see a whole lot of media coverage but fell for the long winded score that Halverson gave it in Diehard Gamefan, 75/100 I think.

Totally, totally unplayable. Racing graphics look like shit, physics are garbage, the whole Road Rash punching thing is stupid as hell, and every single race starts with everyone jammed into a goverment cheese handout line. Even the digitized still shots of the trophy girls ended up being completely covered up from their original bikini attire.

Sad thing is this was in development prior to the 32x even launching and ended up being a turd, and on top of that it is the only game I know of where the 32x video output is the *entire* screen; not just the sprites or background or some other small part. In game the Gensis graphics are not used at all unlike say Knuckles, MK2, or Cosmic Carnage where the limited Genny video output makes up a huge chunk of what you see. That fact makes you think this would be at least one of the best looking games but it looks and plays like dogshit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Checkered Flag on the Atari Jaguar is another stinker. The idea behind the game is sound, but the stunningly bad control scheme makes it insanely frustrating. Unless you get off on bouncing off every guardrail and track wall.

Sword of Sodan on the Genesis is a steaming pile. I have to wonder about the sanity of people who design and program these things. And worse, it was a port of a terrible computer game that never should have been ported to anything.

Charge N' Blast, Wild Metal, MagForce Racing and Urban Chaos on the Dreamcast were all flaming bags of dog poop. I'd rather play weak junk like Soul Fighter or POD: Speedzone before I'd ever have the desire to play those games again.

Insert Coin (Level 0) stlgamer75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    I'm a 32x fanboy and that game has zero redeeming qualities. I debated and debated and finally got it new for $40 at Software Etc, probably the last 32x game I bought at retail and then the Playstation launched. Didn't see a whole lot of media coverage but fell for the long winded score that Halverson gave it in Diehard Gamefan, 75/100 I think.

Totally, totally unplayable. Racing graphics look like shit, physics are garbage, the whole Road Rash punching thing is stupid as hell, and every single race starts with everyone jammed into a goverment cheese handout line. Even the digitized still shots of the trophy girls ended up being completely covered up from their original bikini attire.

Sad thing is this was in development prior to the 32x even launching and ended up being a turd, and on top of that it is the only game I know of where the 32x video output is the *entire* screen; not just the sprites or background or some other small part. In game the Gensis graphics are not used at all unlike say Knuckles, MK2, or Cosmic Carnage where the limited Genny video output makes up a huge chunk of what you see. That fact makes you think this would be at least one of the best looking games but it looks and plays like dogshit.
    I assumed I wasn't alone in my disdain for Moto Cross. It's fucking atrocious.
    Check out my retro gaming blog - Cartridge Corner
    http://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

Console of the Month: PlayStation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Checkered Flag on the Atari Jaguar is another stinker. The idea behind the game is sound, but the stunningly bad control scheme makes it insanely frustrating. Unless you get off on bouncing off every guardrail and track wall.

Sword of Sodan on the Genesis is a steaming pile. I have to wonder about the sanity of people who design and program these things. And worse, it was a port of a terrible computer game that never should have been ported to anything.

Charge N' Blast, Wild Metal, MagForce Racing and Urban Chaos on the Dreamcast were all flaming bags of dog poop. I'd rather play weak junk like Soul Fighter or POD: Speedzone before I'd ever have the desire to play those games again.
    Checkered Flag hurts feelings. It's such a shoddy game.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It takes THREE MINUTES drawing the high-score screen (like anybody is going to see anything but the defaults).

I don't know if that's more sad than Ikari Warriors II (NES)' 4-minute long 4-screen prologue.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's been awhile since I've seen Sword of Sodomy mentioned anywhere. It's still been too soon to be reminded of this game again, but it does fit this thread perfectly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I think I saw a few screenshots and a preview for Sword of Sodan for the Amiga, and I was really interested in it. But by then the US Amiga market was shriveling up, and I couldn't find a copy.

I bought a copy of the Genesis game several years back, remembering how nice the game looked in the old Amiga mag and I was finally getting a chance to play it. And... that didn't work out, obviously. A few minutes in and I feel like my soul is being torn out of my chest. What a letdown, waiting all those years only to find out the game's a dog.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

My collection has become quite large recently, so it might not be the absolute worst game I own at this point, but the one that always comes to mind is Earth Defense, aka The Earth Defend. It's an unlicensed Sega Genesis shoot-em-up that is poorly designed, and has just terrible everything. The music is totally forgettable, the graphics are boring and ultra repetitive, the gameplay is lacking, the power-up system is flawed, the enemies take way too many shots to take down in most cases, and the enemy wave design is also lazy. Everything about the game screams "amateurish". I wrote a review of this for the 1st "Review A Bad Game Day" event in 2012:

http://metalfroreview.blogspot.com/2...th-defend.html
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFRO View Post
    My collection has become quite large recently, so it might not be the absolute worst game I own at this point, but the one that always comes to mind is Earth Defense, aka The Earth Defend. It's an unlicensed Sega Genesis shoot-em-up that is poorly designed, and has just terrible everything. The music is totally forgettable, the graphics are boring and ultra repetitive, the gameplay is lacking, the power-up system is flawed, the enemies take way too many shots to take down in most cases, and the enemy wave design is also lazy. Everything about the game screams "amateurish". I wrote a review of this for the 1st "Review A Bad Game Day" event in 2012:

I have that game. It's an abortion. I've played for 5 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

M.u.s.c.l.e.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFRO View Post

The first time I played Earth Defense Force, I loathed it. It took over ten years for me to come back to it after the first time, especially having first played it hot on the heels of MUSHA and Phelios. Coming back to it later, I enjoyed it much more. Yeah, it's a mess, but it actually is pretty clever in how it likes to steer you into traps, cornering you with bullets and then sending a formation up your ass from the bottom corner. I was impressed by how much the game's design seemed to account for typical player decisions. There are loads of better shooters on the Genesis, but I've played way, way worse games.

MUSCLE, though... totally agree. The Super Famicom sequel, Dirty Challenger, is ass as well.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Traded my Atari and 50+ games back when I was a kid for some NES games. In hindsight it was stupid, but back then the games were worth $.25 a piece at flea markets and as a young kid I didn't know any better.

When it comes to consoles I still own, NES and later, I only buy games that I enjoy and will keep, so for older stuff emulation helps. I do still have some crap I haven't given away, and you can't help with new games. Just today I've bought and played the worst game I've played since the SNES. It's a fighting game, and I'd put this garbage alongside the magnificent quality of Rise of the Robots and Shaq Fu. I know I've only had it just a day, but the game is seriously that bad. There's no making this up.

The game I'm speaking of is J Stars Victory Vs +. The bad thing about this is that the DS game Jump Ultimate Stars was such a great game. I imported Jump Ultimate Stars and played it so much that I've hit 99:59:59, with over 3000 online wins and 1000 losses. Unless you collect everything, including games like the above listed Rise of the Robots or Shaq Fu, I'd recommend against ever purchasing this game for no matter what cost you see it for.

I'd say the other worst game I own is Wheel of Fortune for the NES. As a kid, I was at a video store, didn't have enough money for anything at the time except for this game and I didn't want to leave empty handed. It was less than the cost to rent a game because I didn't have the money to rent a game either.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-17-2016 at 02:29 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Rocket Ranger on the NES is very bad. That could be one. Or Hunt for Red October on the NES. Also very bad. Now don't get me started on some old Atari stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VIP
    NBA jam extreme
    Powerdrome misprint that plays Goodtimes season 5 disc 1 (maybe not technically a game but not even a good season of the show)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adenture for the Lynx is the first one that comes to mind. Just a mind numbing experience

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

You know, it USED to be "Super Hunchback" for the original Game Boy. The game is extremely difficult, largely because they've adjusted the physics so your character controls like an unresponsive slug. Probably not as bad as some of the worst in the list, but it was the worst one I had.

I probably now have worse stinkers in my Steam library, too, but that's a different matter. Lots and lots of shovelware on that platform that sells for $.50 or gets thrown into some random Humble Bundle...one reason why I stopped buying Humble Bundles - they're mostly filled with trash these days.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Super Hunchback might be the funniest title Ive ever heard for a video game