Thread: Ever look back and realize you owned more games than you realized for a system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Ever look back and realize you owned more games than you realized for a system?

With my interest going back into Gameboy in the last month I started a list this evening and I was stunned just how many games I actually owned for both the GB and GBC. The GB was alive when I was in also buying mainly SNES games on an allowance, yet because so many of them were like $20-30 I could get quite a few, plus gifts too. GBC was in college when it was ticking and N64 got tanked by Sony and their system plus media tactics, so I ended up with a lot of those too, plus between both I am even able to part out which were retail and used shop buys and it's still quite a lot. If I'm counting right and I'm probably a little off GB came up to 76 games including imports. The GBC comes in at least 62 so far US/JP/EU releases. Of the GB stuff 29~ of those I bought later on, not retail in the day and for the GBC around 10 of those.

That's quite a lot of games I sunk into both fresh out of the box and years later in the upper 90s and 00s and even a few as late as just the last month with Lemmings on GBC among a few others.

Was there ever a system you were surprised how many games you racked up back in the day when things were new, not as a semi-modern to modern collector? You can list if you want, I just didn't want to put a huge thing in here but I do have it saved as a text file with stuff marked out I don't want back (dislike now, or lame duplicates like Link's Awakening GB vs GBC.)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Yes, I have almost 90 Sega Genesis games. For comparison, I have about 35 SNES games. Part of the reason is that even CIB Genesis games are fairly cheap, whereas many SNES games cost a pretty penny.

I have about 45 NES games, but nearly as many Master System games. Part of it's the CIB thing, but I used to be obsessed with the SMS around age 13-14.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I have a variation on this where I keep saying "Man, I want to play Game X, I wish I owned it" and then I look and... I actually DO own it and somehow forgot. This happens most often with PC games due to my inconsistent organizing of them (brought on by how PC Games can come boxed, jewel-case-only, or sometimes even disc-only, which I have to arrange different ways). Just last week I was like "I kinda wanna play Dune II now. Better look up prices" only to realize I already owned it. Megarace was another game this happened to me with, after watching the ADG video about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For me it's my Dreamcast. I kind of forget at times that I racked up 40 or so games for it. I bought them SO long ago (2001-ish to 2004) and it never felt like I bought that much.

Sad thing is, I still haven't played probably 80-85% of those 40 games

Keep saying one day I will, but in my mind I know one day means like a decade from now lol. God willing. There's just so many other games on my queue I want to play first before I turn my attention over to my Dreamcast collection.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Definitely, I probably had somewhere around 50-100 playstation games, being young and dumb I traded a lot of games in for pennies on the dollar when a new game came out that I really wanted but didn't have enough cash for. I sort of did the same with the ps2 but I managed to wise up a good bit and only got rid of bad games I never played. Since the ps1 did so well a lot of stores around me put older games on clearance for super cheap so it was a really good time to be a gamer.

I managed to have a fairly decent collection of snes games since a hardware store near me use to sell older rental games from a grocery store for $5-10, I picked up some ps1 games there too but about half of them were scratched to hell and didn't work so I eventually didn't even bother to go there for games any more. The durability of carts is something I really miss it's pretty bad when 25 year old used games are more likely to work than something that's less than 6 months old. I dunno how people manage to m

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ogreatgames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well Tanooki in short yes, I did not realize my own collection until taking inventory of all games within my collection. Plus, due to youtube & other media websites, game play videos are abundant enough to see most games before playing it & I realize the gems that these games are.
    http://www.ogreatgames.com Hey check out Ogreatgames for video games and much more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good points, and my ravaging of the paypal and selling of useless fluff has continued to net me more ebay pickups. I'm waiting on some delayed GB/GBC buys, and more to come whenever things get sorted out.

Any of you use yamatoko games out of Japan? Dude says he combines shipping and I bought 2 JP Gameboy games and I've asked for an inventory like 3x so far. I'm getting pissed. I picked up Tekkaman Blade and a CIB SD Lupin the 3rd both games I once owned before and really want to play again.

Currently being processed or in the mail Metal Gear, Dragon warrior 3 (w/poster and manual), and still in limbo is Kirby Block Ball (dude is so getting a 1 star on shipping since he sat on it), a bundle of 3 I hope are here tomorrow, and another bundle I bought of 3 just for blaster master gbc. I'm having fun with all this, and I ended up bagging Pokemon Yellow for $20 a few days ago and then 2 days ago I found the Versus made guide made for R+B+Y together for just a few bucks (had no idea it was a $40 guide online) so help me play it again due to the area maps.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Good points, and my ravaging of the paypal and selling of useless fluff has continued to net me more ebay pickups. I'm waiting on some delayed GB/GBC buys, and more to come whenever things get sorted out.

Any of you use yamatoko games out of Japan? Dude says he combines shipping and I bought 2 JP Gameboy games and I've asked for an inventory like 3x so far. I'm getting pissed. I picked up Tekkaman Blade and a CIB SD Lupin the 3rd both games I once owned before and really want to play again.

Currently being processed or in the mail Metal Gear, Dragon warrior 3 (w/poster and manual), and still in limbo is Kirby Block Ball (dude is so getting a 1 star on shipping since he sat on it), a bundle of 3 I hope are here tomorrow, and another bundle I bought of 3 just for blaster master gbc. I'm having fun with all this, and I ended up bagging Pokemon Yellow for $20 a few days ago and then 2 days ago I found the Versus made guide made for R+B+Y together for just a few bucks (had no idea it was a $40 guide online) so help me play it again due to the area maps.
    Yeah, I buy from Yamatoku on and off. Hisashi always takes a long time to send invoices for combined shipping, but he'll get there. I buy Famicom lots from him from time to time to try out some new stuff, and he's always come through.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

It's gotten bad lately though. Invoices just hour's before the end of the 14 days to hold things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Oh, wow. It's been a few months since I last bought from him, but it took about three days then. Last second stuff sounds sloppy, and let's face it, we don't want stuff we ordered a month from now. We want it yesterday.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This problem is exactly why I made a google docs sheet for my collection. There are so many used game stores around here that I've actually bought doubles unknowingly. Plus it's good for if I'm travelling I can just pull it up on my phone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well that's some shady business. Hmph.

I was thumbing through stuff, and I found a way through his domain at the website where it will refer back to an ebay ticket so you can actually pay for the goods and it auto-combines the shipping of your choice and gives the option of a $1 added charge for a box over a bubble bag I guess. I combined it, added a box, and the shipping was like I think $6 less. I haven't seen a word on ebay if he shipped it or anything at all, but I do have the proof it's paid.

Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll show up by August if he's that lazy. I won that SD Lupin game CIB for gameboy and then a loose copy of Tekkaman Blade. I had these back in the 90s from a local shop of all places, and they're great.

Also if you want one that's nice, attentive, and even gives away free bags of japanese green tea with the order, try ryoplanshop (on ebay) as they're good people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, ryoplanshop is very reliable, and usually ships faster than yamatoku. I use hit-japan once in awhile as well, but I swear, I'm never home when their stuff arrives, and since they use registered mail, I have to go to the post office... but that's not such a bad thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I never had a collecting or buy-spree phase back in those days, all my games except a small handful were gifts for birthday or Christmas.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have enough NES and Atari carts now that I have trouble remembering what's in my collection when I browse the local shops. I need to compile a list of "haves" and bring it with me when I shop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

My collection never really snuck up on me per se, but there are a couple of things about it that I didn't see coming. First off, I always wanted a Neo Geo AES, and wasn't sure I'd ever own one. Now, I have more than 30 games for it, which tickles me pink. Sure, half of them are fighters, but I like them. Secondly, and similarly, I always dreamed as a kid of having, like, one arcade cabinet. I grew up without a lot of money, and rarely had a quarter I could plunk into a cabinet, so I really relished it when I had the chance, and it was often over quickly. More often than not, you'd see little kid me with my hands on the joystick, mimicking the movements on the attract screens, wishing I was really playing Time Soldiers or Rastan or Ninja Turtles. Now, I have 5 cabinets and some jamma pcbs I can swap, and it's really neat to me. It makes me really happy when we have big family parties at my house and young kids gather around the cabinets, getting a taste of what captured my imagination at their age. It's as much for them as it is for me, and it makes me happier that I'd have expected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't say in the day I ever did a buying spree. The most I'd ever do at once was usually at retail 2 or super rarely 3 games, usually when it was buy 1(or 2) and get 1 free kinds of deals. I remember long ago Sears did one for Gameboy and I ended up getting Kirby's Block Ball, Kirby Star Stacker, and something else with 1 free. It wasn't until I got into used older games in 95 that I'd go to a retail shop and blow like $20 on 4 NES games or something. I'd at least take them home and go at it for the week or two before getting more. I find it's far too easy to abuse ebay or whatever else online and end up with a pile of stuff fast so I have to force myself to slow down at times, realize what I have and try and knock more off.