Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nintendo NX to be released in 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My biggest concern with whatever system they have is the fact that they just can't make games fast enough. With Nintendo you're always waiting around for games, and you have to hope that the one game they bring out each quarter is a game that you actually care about. They've been like this since the days of the N64. I got a N64 at launch, and let me tell you.... the first 10 months of that system it was a total waiting game for games to come out. It was wait, wait and wait some more. Sure, Nintendo would deliver some killer games here and there, but the wait in-between the games was super painful.

So regardless of what Nintendo is going to bring to the table, my biggest hope is that they have enough games to really give some variety right away. I'm talking about a new F-Zero, new Mario, the Zelda cross port and maybe a Metroid. They really need to come out guns blazing, but I just have a hard time seeing them actually do that. They always take too damn long, and have too few games. They make great games, no question, they have a magical quality about most Nintendo games that is pretty much Disney-like, but playing the waiting game really sucks. (early adopters of the N64 know exactly what I'm talking about...)

Also, they need to follow it up with a second wave of games. So, not only do they need to have a legit launch window lineup, but then they need a legit 2nd wave of games to follow. That's going to be the hardest part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

WCP, your entire post is why I've bought into the rumors of a merger between their hardware lines since the beginning. The advantages of being able to code a single game and sell it to all next-gen Nintendo hardware owners is just too great to pass in the situation that they're in.

I don't know the particulars on the NX such as if it's a handheld that docks when connected to a tv for extended functionality or will still incorporate independent console and handheld hardware that runs common software, but I'm confident that this will happen.

They can't continue to fight a two front war. They have to consolidate in some way if they're going to make this work in order to stabilize themselves and start growing for a future where hopefully they're again a home for 3rd party development and mainstream gamers that don't view Mario and Zelda as reasons enough to buy Nintendo hardware.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-31-2016 at 03:59 AM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

What Nintendo really needs is EA and Ubisoft on board. Look at how much it helped with the Wii U. And those two companies' average games have such a high quality to them. Plus the public just loves both EA and Ubisoft as companies and enjoys having their Origin and U-Play services running on their machines.