Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo NX to be released in 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo NX to be released in 2016

Just read this yesterday and a couple of things stick out such as 20 million units being produced within one year and it being released July 2016. I highly doubt that it would make sense to release it in the summer. Fall 2016 seems more feasible. I think everyone knows although the Wii U has games coming up that all the focus on any big hitters is being saved for the NX. I think it makes sense as its time for Nintendo to just cut their losses with the Wii U as it has been a total flop.

The biggest question is what exactly will this be? A hybrid system an actual dedicated home console? A couple of Nintendo stated it being as a home console but without confirmation and a reveal I'm not so sure. They did show third party developers at E3 what was it about. I'm hoping its just a home console where there are no stupid gimmicks its as powerful as the PS4 and a lot of third party games. A lot of Nintendo fans may not like third party but there a huge of us that actually do. If they can go back to their NES and SNES days I would never buy Sony as their first party games suck anyways. With the same hardware that Sony has probably being cheaper by now I hope Nintendo goes this route. By the time Sony and Microsoft make another console the NX would have at least 5 years so it wouldn't trail behind them. Then again its Nintendo so it will probably be a lame, gimmicky console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn....I posted it in the wrong forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You also didn't mention that this is just a rumor.

And nobody at Nintendo has confirmed anything about the nature of the NX (Such as it being a console replacement for the Wii U), beyond stating that it's a different concept and confirming that it's dedicated gaming hardware to reassure those that would've worried that Nintendo was leaving when their mobile initiative was announced. And the most that has ever been officially said about 2016, is that they'd tell us more next year.

My sole observation is that if there's any truth whatsoever to this, it basically confirms the long rumored direction of hardware commonality going forwards for Nintendo. Coming off the 3DS and the Wii U, there's no way as I see it that 20 million consoles or handhelds could be sold from a summer launch through the end of that fiscal year, if it was just one or the other.

But with console and handheld versions of the same hardware, if Nintendo has a heck of a software lineup ready and markets it properly, and the stars and planets are in the correct alignment, then just maybe they could ship an amount approaching that.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-05-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

yea Nintendo has already said they wont release a new home console until they feel satisfied with the Wii u and they aren't yet obviously. they are finally getting something going on it with the zeldas, star foxes ect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also, I can't imagine that Microsoft and Sony don't already have people working on their next consoles too.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Without some huge gimmick/selling point, I don't see "NX" being successful. At that point, they'll be no different than if a totally new company got into the console game, like Google or Apple. Almost no one has a Wii U, and I'll bet most of those households own an XBone or PS4 as well.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Without some huge gimmick/selling point, I don't see "NX" being successful.
    I suspect the gimmick will be one line of hardware.

Not necessarily with an all-in-one device and maybe not even with the physical software format itself (I could see the handheld relying on 100% digital distribution while the console supplements digital with Blu-Ray based retail releases). But almost assuredly with one common line of software so that any title created for the NX can be sold to every owner of modern Nintendo videogame hardware instead of the traditional split nature of Nintendo's business.

Completely separate handhelds and consoles worked fine when 3rd parties thrived on Nintendo hardware and Nintendo was virtually the only place to go for gaming on the go, but has only been detrimental now that Nintendo is responsible for the lion's share of software sold on their hardware. If they're going to survive in both of these business lines, they can't keep splitting up their development resources.

The gaps this generation have been much too long between major Nintendo releases, they have to virtually discontinue new releases long in advance of the launch of next-generation hardware just to prepare, and inevitably, they still don't have an adequate flow of software ready to go for that crucial opening six months on the market as the launch of both the 3DS and the Wii U demonstrated so well.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-05-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Doesn't that limit themselves? Handheld graphics cannot compete with console.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without some huge gimmick/selling point, I don't see "NX" being successful. At that point, they'll be no different than if a totally new company got into the console game, like Google or Apple. Almost no one has a Wii U, and I'll bet most of those households own an XBone or PS4 as well.
    There are still millions who haven't upgraded to the next generation for whatever reason, Nintendo can potentially reach out to this market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing I've heard Nintendo say is that they won't talk about the NX until 2016. If they actually plan on releasing it in 2016 then they'll probably release that next Zelda game on both systems as they did for Twilight Princess on the Gamecube and Wii. And I'd bet that the NX version comes out first while they hold the Wii U version back for, um...."quality control" reasons.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Nintendo has already stated they're not going to compete with Sony for graphics. I've expected for awhile that the NX to be basically be Nintendo's version of the TG16 and Turbo Express Portable. Both handheld and console will be sold separately, but the games on each system will be universal. I think the NX will be no more powerful than Wii U, and may or may not have Wii U backwards compatibility. Imo it's going to be more like "you didn't support us purchasing the Wii U? Go fuck yourself." The reason I don't think it's going to be more powerful than the Wii U, is because the handheld will need to be as powerful as the console and both systems will use cards. The concept of the Wii U is basically a DS. The HDTV is basically the same as the top screen, the touch pad is the same as the bottom screen. So the NX might use the same concept and the portable version will be a DS style system. Or they might do away with the DS and use a regular controller, going back to a Gameboy style system.

As was already stated, the benefit of both systems playing the same games is that development costs are reduced as you'd be developing it for a single unified system. Not only would this benefit first party developers as they wouldn't have to split resources between systems, it might interest other third party developers, maybe more niche studios, to develop for this system instead of the another console, because they'll be able to capture the interest of both the handheld and console market by developing a single version. Nintendo hasn't had much third party support in comparison ever since Sony came to the market. The portables have had a lot of great software that was exclusive, but not so much with their consoles. I think this hybrid console is really going to be a necessity if Nintendo wants to continue to do both portable and console and still be a competitor in the market. I also think it's Nintendo's last chance to show gamers they're relevant on consoles and that if the NX fails as a console, Nintendo may go exclusive to portable development.

I think if it's a hybrid console it'll succeed though, because this benefits gamers. Gamers can purchase a single copy of the game at retail and play the game portable or on home console. So people can purchase the console if they're more interested in playing on console, or purchase the portable if they're more interested on portables, and then you'll have the people who purchase both, playing the console while they're at home and the portable while at a friends, work, etc.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Nintendo has already stated they're not going to compete with Sony for graphics. I've expected for awhile that the NX to be basically be Nintendo's version of the TG16 and Turbo Express Portable. Both handheld and console will be sold separately, but the games on each system will be universal. I think the NX will be no more powerful than Wii U, and may or may not have Wii U backwards compatibility. Imo it's going to be more like "you didn't support us purchasing the Wii U? Go fuck yourself." The reason I don't think it's going to be more powerful than the Wii U, is because the handheld will need to be as powerful as the console and both systems will use cards. The concept of the Wii U is basically a DS. The HDTV is basically the same as the top screen, the touch pad is the same as the bottom screen. So the NX might use the same concept and the portable version will be a DS style system. Or they might do away with the DS and use a regular controller, going back to a Gameboy style system.

As was already stated, the benefit of both systems playing the same games is that development costs are reduced as you'd be developing it for a single unified system. Not only would this benefit first party developers as they wouldn't have to split resources between systems, it might interest other third party developers, maybe more niche studios, to develop for this system instead of the another console, because they'll be able to capture the interest of both the handheld and console market by developing a single version. Nintendo hasn't had much third party support in comparison ever since Sony came to the market. The portables have had a lot of great software that was exclusive, but not so much with their consoles. I think this hybrid console is really going to be a necessity if Nintendo wants to continue to do both portable and console and still be a competitor in the market. I also think it's Nintendo's last chance to show gamers they're relevant on consoles and that if the NX fails as a console, Nintendo may go exclusive to portable development.

I think if it's a hybrid console it'll succeed though, because this benefits gamers. Gamers can purchase a single copy of the game at retail and play the game portable or on home console. So people can purchase the console if they're more interested in playing on console, or purchase the portable if they're more interested on portables, and then you'll have the people who purchase both, playing the console while they're at home and the portable while at a friends, work, etc.
    That actually makes sense. The only problem I see is how much will each cost? Someone is going to shell out a lot of money if they want both I believe. If it is more powerful than the Wii U how is the battery life? My main concern is the third party issue. As much as I love Nintendo's games they need variety and will third party developers be convinced of this system since making a game with the power of more than a Wii U will obviously cost more than a 3DS game where graphics aren't strong. If they don't get the Resident Evils, the fighting games, the console RPGs and other titles I'll be dissapointed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It makes partial sense. I don't think they'll do a go fuck yourself system over the WiiU.

I've said this a lot here before and I'll keep it shorter here. A few things have popped up in their history over the last few years that got me to this point.
    - Preaching scalability
    - Melding console + handheld R&D divisions into one unit
    - Adamant about not making high tech stuff to compete
    - Being unique
    - High development costs are a burden/problem

The last couple of years, I've been stating seeing this stuff and the tidbits I get off my game producer brother is that they succeed in handhelds and they fail in the console, even the Wii. I don't speak just of profit, but of quality buyers and of companies they don't own a share in making good games. DS vs Wii, 3DS vs WiiU, which one had the third party games? Which one sold more units and games per system combined? Handhelds. Japan on the whole is a mobile society and the handhelds and phones/tablets do a lot more penetration than the consoles. I can see a situation where they make two systems, 100% compatible hardware, and games that run on both. Think of my old laptop vs my gaming laptop. Both can run something like Civilization 5, but while the old was lesser parts it ran on a mix of low-mid settings, my gaming laptop runs on maximum with room to spare. They both play well, both ran at 30fps (or better), it's just the older machine ran at a lower resolution with lower settings, but the game experience is the same. Now envision the NX handheld and the NX console. Both are the same parts, but while the handheld has a lower clocked smaller cache, maybe a little less RAM on it system, the console itself has the full specs. The console would run in full HD 1080p, the handheld would be more on a resolution like the Vita has with a lower resolution screen. Both games would essentially run the game, sound pretty close, and look pretty close, the game would be scaled to the appropriate hardware, and like 3DS games the game would save to the game card so you can go between both, DLC would be pulled or exterior files docked on the hardware could get network transferred.

This way you could sell a nice console to those who want something more on a Nvidia Shield (or so) type level, or you could get the handheld if you're a more mobile, couch, car, public transportation guy who wants it that way. The games will run on both, but you don't have to buy both. Since the parts are cheaper versions of the ones in the console vs the handheld, they can use the same facilities to make both systems and the games that run on both. Big savings, no left over junk to struggle getting out there, and being not a competing system development costs are lower too so 3rd parties would be more inclined to make games for the handheld, and if someone has the system they can do that too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Doesn't that limit themselves? Handheld graphics cannot compete with console.
    Nintendo hasn't competed on horsepower directly for years now anyways.

A plateau like the Wii U, where the console experience provides for the graphical fidelity seen in titles like Mario Kart 8 while the handheld displays a 480p image not unlike the Wii U's gamepad, not only appears adequate for beautiful graphics as evidenced by existing titles like Super Mario 3D World, but also doesn't seem out of reach for unified hardware going forward. We're talking about capabilities that are roughly comparable to the hardware that Nintendo's competition released nearly a decade ago. I think Nintendo can get to there with a handheld in 2016 at a reasonable cost.

Plus, mobile graphics can be very high quality these days. Even the handheld Vita from several years ago can get pretty close to this level when it's properly pushed by a talented developer, as seen in titles like Killzone and Uncharted. And like was just said, there's also the potential that the software when running on the handheld version can scale to have things be toned down to bring it down to 480p, reductions in processing effects like AA and AF, frame rates being dropped from 60 to 30 fps (I hope not), etc.

That would allow for higher quality console graphics while helping keep the cost of the handheld version of the hardware in check (And assist in minimizing the form factor of the handheld, maximizing battery life, and so on).

More expensive programming since two variations of the base hardware must be taken into account, but PC developers have taken it much further for many years now and must deal with many more variables. I suspect that being able to sell a future title like Mario Kart 9 to everyone instead of just a segment of Nintendo's market, will more than justify the added complexities if the handheld spec isn't exactly identical to that of the console version.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-06-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's exactly what I was and have been thinking for awhile. While I'm fairly mad at the current Nintendo and feel I've been left twisting in the wind as a buyer of their stuff since the 80s, I get it. I'd still because of what Sony and definitely what MS offers gaming these days want to see them not die. I just want to see them wise up and play to their strengths while getting back lost support. Making a straight up console will not do this. They will fail and fail some more because they won't keep up with the tech and it will eat them alive. The only way forward without pulling a Sega (argh) and just being Android, Apple's and whoever elses bitch with downloadable game apps is to wise up and make profitable hardware that's fairly cheap, very effective, and plays to the desires of the third party companies level of quality expectation from a portable device (ie: tablets and stuff like the android home console like the Tegra X1 using Shield system.) If they could make a console/handheld system that scales, used the same os, same games, same games on the same media, all at one price for the game, for the console and/or the handheld of your choosing they could rake it in. They'd be competitors again in the emerging home gaming market based on cheap android systems that are portable or anchored to a TV. If they made a system that would understand and take Android games, even if it wasn't specifically an android box (which they were oddly super fast to come out saying it wasn't, not even their less guilty looking no comment comment), they could get good stuff if they regulated to keep out IAP garbage. Look what Activision, Namco, Square-Enix, EA, Capcom, Konami, Sega, and the others do on Android for straight up pay games. If those could be at a minimal expense ported to a theoretical NX (handheld and/or console) system from Android the opportunity there is huge. You could get even the console games that got tweaked/redone a bit over to the Shield TV system too which hit big media a month back. Imagine a Nintendo NX console/handheld you own (either or both) that would run Chaos Rings 1-3, Need for Speed, Call of Duty, Soul Caliber, Castlevania, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Pinball Arcade, LEGO games, Tomb Raider, along with Mario, Zelda, starfox, kirby, xenoblade, and so on. Best of both worlds and at a cheaper ($40-50 price point to compete on that field if not less $.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The one thing about Nintendo is they sometimes say new system, but it's really just an update. The 3ds sells like hotcakes. I'm thinking the new system is just a Wii u that plays 3ds games too.

Or its a console that plays every game media since the nes. , nope it won't be that. [emoji6]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

[tinfoilhat]

NX....32X....hmm

Nintendo says it will not necessarily "replace" the Wii U or 3DS, all while mentioning both in the same announcement meaning an incorporation of all platforms which has been even shown in graphs.

Concept:

Just replace this concept with a device that is similar to this but connects your phone/3ds games/upgrades the Wii U via a 64 DD solution, I know, i'm left field here , but Nintendo has been batting these ideas around for years, would be fun to see them finally come up with a solution to all these unused ideas from the past.

[/tinfoilhat]

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I've been talking about an add on like that for the wii u for a while, if it were only real.

I think they would make bank on it though, $50 or $60 attachment to basically unlock a whole not audience that don't use portable to be able to play that HUGE library of games on their existing system.
    would be a smart move I think on their part

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Why not port those games digitally to test the waters then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems the consensus here seems to be having a unified platform and not of a major powerhouse. Optimism unlike some other sites that I've read from comments is surprising. Basically it's no power equals no third party equals Wii U 2.0. At least it has everyone talking.