Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo NX to be released in 2016

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Didn't help releasing 2 underpowered consoles in a row with stupid gimmicks. With the goofiest names in existence. They're better off sticking with portables and silly plastic figurines. And maybe making the portable comfortable/ergonomic to hold for more than 10 minutes, instead of making them for their homeland people. They must not have a clue about hand size outside of Japan. Learn how to implement a 2nd analog without the need for an extra peripheral or redesign(another stupid name) with a useless nipple. They shouldn't expect people to be finger contortionists.
    I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. My hands start to cramp after about 30 mins.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. My hands start to cramp after about 30 mins.
    My hands started to cramp within 15-30 minutes playing the standard 3DS, but hundreds of times more comfortable with the XL. I kind of felt that the original GBA was the last console they've developed that feel like holding a brick until I used the 3DS XL. The new 3DS XL is also comfortable but the button placement for start/select/power/and home are far better on the original XL.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Well based on that NDA breaker guy from Nintendo, among other things Nintendo has a very bad issue with naming things in the United States. Like, they love the word "new' because in Japan it's just a cool English word that's used for marketing. Meanwhile in the USA, "new" can also imply condition and is an antonym for "used." Calling it the "New 3DS XL" was stupid.

I really hope they drop the whole Wii name with NX. It definitely has lost its luster anyway.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    My hands started to cramp within 15-30 minutes playing the standard 3DS, but hundreds of times more comfortable with the XL. I kind of felt that the original GBA was the last console they've developed that feel like holding a brick until I used the 3DS XL. The new 3DS XL is also comfortable but the button placement for start/select/power/and home are far better on the original XL.
    Ever tried to play Resi Revelations or Ironfall on a NewXL? Impossible with that nub and L2 and R2 buttons. I got one of those grips from Japan and it's still not right. The grip worked wonders with anything else though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Ever tried to play Resi Revelations or Ironfall on a NewXL? Impossible with that nub and L2 and R2 buttons. I got one of those grips from Japan and it's still not right. The grip worked wonders with anything else though.
    No, I haven't tried playing anything that requires the nub with anything, although just pressing on the nub and it being so hard to move, I can see it being super uncomfortable using at all. I don't see why they didn't just use a second slide pad.

--

Looks further proof that points towards the NX possibly being a hybrid console.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/08/21...-optical-drive

If you look at the images, the system doesn't include an optical drive, but it does include an external hard drive and a memory card. Nintendo said they would never go all digital so it's probably a game card and they did away with the SD cards. They better not do all digital or it's time to close up shop. It really looks identical to the Wii U aside from the remove of the optical drive. The controller still uses a display screen like the Wii U does, meaning that if it's a hybrid, the console version will be a dual screen system like the 3DS.

*edit*

It could just be a digital only version of the Wii U though, because that worked so well for the PSP.

Last edited by kupomogli; 08-22-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

It almost seems to me that these "nx" patents are almost like a ds player for the wii u.

It also could be nothing that ever winds up in the final product of what ever this is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

See now had that been a good guess, and one so good they put it out a year ago, I'd still own that WiiU. To do the 3DS on my big TV would be awesome. It's kind of a good reason why my GC is still plugged in there, it has the GB Player. I wouldn't get rid of it like the WiiU though, it had solid 1st and 3rd party games of which I kept a good supply of 20 of them to mess with when the mood hits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd love to see a 3DS Player.

The 3DS is particularly well suited for it since a lot of the bizarre nonsense from the DS had largely ended when the 3DS appeared, that called for things like holding the system sideways, shoehorned in touch controls, spreading the playfield across both screens, etc.

Such stuff makes it a struggle to adapt many DS titles to this different environment and all but mandates the need for many extra features like control remapping and various display options in order to best customize each game for a console experience. That's one reason why Nintendo's downloads are lackluster for DS titles on their console, since some important features like control customization are absent.

And even at their native resolution, quality 3D polygonal titles on this platform still manage to look nice upscaled and blown up on a larger screen, as can be seen on YouTube via capture equipment. The resolution is just high enough and the picture detailed enough, where it's able to make that jump with some degree of success.

3D polygonal DS titles on the other hand look awfully rough when rendered at their native resolution, as demonstrated by games like Mario Kart DS off the Wii U's Virtual Console. Unless they're rendered in HD like a homebrew DS emulator can (As demonstrated by that screenshot comparison), we didn't miss much by not getting a 'DS Player' accessory for the old Wii.

2D stuff though would've been nice and make the leap well...
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-24-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Ugh some people are just dicks it seems

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-...--307559.phtml

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Douchebags. And I thought Kotaku was bad with Nintendo stuff. Nintendo shares a large chunk of the blame in good fairly equal proportions with their asshole fanboy base who only buy their stuff or what they'll publish/give a gold star of approval on, and then the asshole double talking developers who do anything from avoid them to say do this and we'll do that to then whine, then cut and run.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was a bit amusing. Especially the goofy Metroid game being a pack-in. They really should wipe the Metroid name off that thing. I've never seen such backlash, even from fanboys.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Ugh some people are just dicks it seems

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-...--307559.phtml
    I want my click back.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

This doesn't even qualify as rumor, but on NeoGAF a member posted information about NX, originally in Italian, from someone who says he has sources inside NCL. Very easily could've been completely fabricated. That said, an interesting read.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2847

- He's under strict NDA with Nintendo Japan

- Informations are from march 2015, with some updates from june-july

- He received a bunch of patents (some of them are publics now), info about what Nintendo is planning and a list of games potentially in development (some of them may or may not have been cancelled), third parties included

- NX is a platform, not tied with a single device

- Wii U is still in the picture thanks to good software results for games like Splatoon, will still be the main home console in 2016

- 3DS is a bit old, they're planning of replacing it. Some games will still come out on it, but big projects are being moved on portable NX

- With NX, Nintendo wants to create a platform where they can develop software for multiple devices with ease, from the home console to the portable to smartphone and tablets. They'll have a big catalogue available for multiple platforms, with cross buy, cross saves and cross play, similar to what Microsoft is doing with Xbox One and PC thanks to Windows 10 (that allows to play many Xbox games on PC, which is also getting a bunch of ports from Xbone). Each platform will still have exclusive games

- NNID is tied to the single device, but it will allow to share details between platforms, like friend list, contents, local coop games, etc. Thanks to the new membership program (the successor of Club Nintendo), we'll benefit from the new Nintendo policies in terms of rewards

- They'll show the portable in spring 2016, will be out for the end of the year or spring 2017 max. Specs will be higher than PS Vita but nothing mindblowing, screen resolution should be 540p, considering 720p if costs go down. BC with 3DS was problematic

- Wii U successor will not have an optical drive, which will be optional. It will sync with the portable (not obligatory). Specs won't be super high, but close to PS4/X1 (doesn't know how much, like with the portable this is still subject to change anyway). Cross games will look better on the home

- Nintendo is focusing a lot on the anti-piracy system

- Big focus on the OS as well. They hired people that worked for Google on Android, the guys who worked on the Gamecube OS and Wii U browser are there too. Optimized versions of the same OS for every NX platform (think, again, W10), each with its set of specific functions. Updates will come out at the same time, they're focusing on making the OS blazing fast on every platform

- The home console can connect with the portable to send to it its own version of the games you buy, will use the same tech as the Wii U-Wii U Gamepad streaming to do that, or the internet connection

- The home will have bc with the Wii U. Gamepad should be compatible as a controller, considering selling it standalone. Can connect with the portable for offtv and bc. WiiMote compatibility is being considered too. As for support, since the new home won't have an optical drive, they're considering an external one. Also being considered NNID/eShop bc for titles bought on the eShop. Seems they're considering digital games sharing too, but this bit is not perfectly clear

- The portable will have its own internal memory, which will be expandable

- There will be a complete overhaul of online infrastructures, but Nintendo is determined to hold successful operations as Miiverse, extending it even further and making it a central hub for communications by developers and a meeting place for players. It will be even more interactive with the ability to upload videos and screenshots in an integrated system and not dependent on the game

- Voice chat and interactions between users will be revisited too, much will depend on the users age though, to protect the minors

- The home will be out 6-12 months after the portable, creating the "NX system" that will allow Nintendo to better use their resources in games development

- They approached third parties during E3. Capcom, Square-Enix, Ubisoft and Electronic Arts already have devkits. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Sonic, F-Zero and Metroid are in development, doesn't know if these are main episodes or spin offs. Zelda is currently a Wii U only title due to high development costs, but they can reconsider to have another big game at NX launch

- Prices will be low, 200-300€ (for the home?), considering a bundle with both for no more than 500€

- Many of these things will be discussed in future Nintendo Directs, which will have a different host in every market if Nintendo can't find a new CEO by october

- A new 3D Mario will be shown, along with a new Zelda trailer. Retro moved their project on NX, will not be unveiled before 10-18 months

- They'll talk about a new "Club Nintendo", which will be in full function with NX

- Considering making agreements with phone carriers in order to better manage applications like Miiverse, Club Nintendo and the ability to purchase software by phone. Some of these will be out by March 2016

- Is everything set yet? Yes, but with Nintendo you'll never know. If he has updates he will share them with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Funny if it even is rumor, and the 1% some of it is right. It does match what I've been saying for 1-2 years now on what they need to do to fix their problems. NX being a platform where there are a handheld and a console device with shared games, shared data, etc with a unified OS to ease development costs. It would be something that scales, works on both tiers, and isn't there again to compete with the other guys but more with the microconsole (shield, etc) market. Optional optical is interesting, if anything just because WiiU games will still be usable and given the dislike many have for it, the old games there would still be new to many kind of like how some GC games due to PS2 got ignored that owned and ended up on other consoles like Wii. Sticking to the Wii setup, allowing the old controllers including the WiiU tablet to have a function as a primary tool going further is smart as that makes them money and saves on costs.

I don't know. In theory if Nintendo finally learned their lesson on going halfassed AND not competing with other people and saw through how their handhelds do and with their DENA partnership they have an alternative to do well doing this I'd be on board for the handheld. Virtual Boy(not really one anyway) aside they've never had a portable system that was a total flop to where third parties didn't make a good presence for some years on a device. In this case with them only really having one device, the console won't be left to twist in the wind and just suck on sales being an anchor either. All of it is a huge IF, but if this pile of translated overseas non-sense is half right I'd buy another handheld of theirs, but still not a console unless most the nonsense was right and it got the games due to the shared architecture. Though I'm not sure I'd see a good reason why to buy it as I'd rather not game on my TV as my big chair is more comfy dug into it than sitting on the edge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

IMHO, what Nintendo needs to work on is fixing all the bridges they burned over the years. If not this will be just another flop.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hah, well said. Sadly well said, because they won't. They're all about themselves and living in a bubble driven by blind fanboys who feed their wallets and spurn third party games on their hardware to validate that blind sense of illogical behavior. It's why I gave up on the WiiU and cashed out while the getting was good and why I wouldn't buy a NX console, but a handheld, since they seem to get support on those still I would. It's amazing to me they can make two systems and only get games on one and run both of them differently, then act clueless or ignore their failures in front of the TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

focusing a lot on anti piracy and no optical drive suggests to me more cartridges.
    with SSDs getting cheap and holding more than a bluray I totally see this as a viable thing and if they made a new cart based around SSD tech that would be a tough nut to crack

if rumor has validity but from the patents we know that there doesent seem to be any disc drives

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am taking everything re: NX with a truck of salt until I can be sure Nintendo will keep doing Directs.

Speaking as merely one Nintendo fan, I like good 3rd party games (Rayman Legends!), not bloated shovelware (Polished Turd... I mean, Devil's Third).

Unfortunately, when other big developers/publishers completely write off your console because you're not in the graphics/power/catering to young adult men who probably drink too much Mountain Dew and/or booze arms race, you have no choice but to go it alone.

My spouse and I are perfectly fine with the Wii U, but that's mostly because we're overgrown retro gaming kids who don't fit in the demographic that the "other guys" love.

(I also own a PS3, and have been known to play games on it. Waiting for Kingdom Hearts III to at least get a ballpark release date before taking the plunge on a PS4.)
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fair enough there sailor makes sense, and I was like that. I still am, just not there, I keep the 20th century stuff around for my little girl to enjoy as she gets old enough to appreciate it and handle playing the stuff.

Niku I was thinking that too. Look how much space a 3DS card alone can carry and with them saying no optical except as an add-on for WiiU games speaks to physical of another form and what you're saying fits. Something like that can grossly range in size from teeny to huge and it could impact the costs of the games as well too. You could end up with phone/tablet level type stuff that's fairly small on a $20-30 game, or you could end up with something huge you'd expect on the 3Ds and above or something like the Nvidia Shield console and get that out at $50. Not limiting themselves to optical opens a lot of doors and those doors include very nasty copy protection like you noted. The 3DS has like I think 128bit level RSA encryption or something of the sort on the cards and downloads and you can go well beyond that these days to lock things up even tighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorneorune View Post
    Speaking as merely one Nintendo fan, I like good 3rd party games (Rayman Legends!), not bloated shovelware (Polished Turd... I mean, Devil's Third).

Unfortunately, when other big developers/publishers completely write off your console because you're not in the graphics/power/catering to young adult men who probably drink too much Mountain Dew and/or booze arms race, you have no choice but to go it alone.
    Problem is that you're one of the few. Developers aren't writing off the Wii U because of graphics, as many of these games are cross gen releases with PS360 and PS4/Xbox One. These developers found that it's not making them money by releasing to the Wii U because most Nintendo fans don't purchase third party. It's not like devs haven't been giving Nintendo a chance though. Time and time again it's clear that third party developers and publishers want to Nintendo to succeed, so the line ups for their consoles and third party software starts off really good, but it's the lack of fan support that kills any future support.

Going off from only a little information, even the Japanese Nintendo fans don't purchase third party titles on Nintendo consoles. Nintendo could have had a chance to share the Yakuza series with Sony, but Yakuza 1 and 2 HD flopped hard on the console, so when Yakuza Ishin and Yakuza 0 were developed, they were both on the PS3 and PS4, but not on the Wii U.

Unfortunately, unless Nintendo does something different, they're not going to have a large fanbase because they'll have those who own a PS4 and Xbox One who will buy the multiconsole titles on those consoles and exclusives only on the NX, the majority of the Nintendo fanbase who buys only Nintendo, then others who buy exclusives, and the few who actually buy third party, and the others who own a single console and won't be purchasing an NX at all. Microsoft and Sony have a two year head start, so unless Nintendo does something to differentiate themselves, your average consumer will see the quantity of titles on the competing console and purchase what should be the obvious choice(PS4 of course :P. )