Thread: Getting the best picture and audio from a Model 1 Genesis with Model 2 Sega CD?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Getting the best picture and audio from a Model 1 Genesis with Model 2 Sega CD?

I’m currently learning how to improve the audio/video output on my retro systems, and I watched a few videos about using SCART to HDMI on the Genesis, but couldn’t find anything else about it when it comes to the Sega CD.

I have my Genesis (Model 1) attached to a Sega CD (Model 2). The Genesis has a Stereo Cable running from a jack in the front to the “mixer” port in the back of the Sega CD. The system outputs on composite, using the Genesis’ proprietary composite av cable for video and then the audio cables running from the back of the Sega CD.

But I don’t want to use composite anymore because it looks like crap on my TV, I want to try upgrading to SCART and running that through an HDMI converter. So what cables do I need to buy and where do I need to plug them up at?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
    Last edited by Dormond; 07-06-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

it probably wont be a just buy cables and use sort of situation but more like a modify console for RGB and use standard cables to fir the application.

the model 1 gen on model 2 cd is a pain in the ass too, I think it would be best if you went model 2 on both genesis and cd versions. you'll get better sound out of the cart games on a model 2 but the system with supplied cables wont have as nice a picture but that's where the modding will fix that. something like an RGB mod, you could go to RGB SCART or RGB over standard RCA jacks, its up to you, but that's the way I would go.

after that then RGB into what ever upscaler you want or pipe it directly into a tv or monitor (monitor like Sony BVM/PVM) that's able to understand that signal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    it probably wont be a just buy cables and use sort of situation but more like a modify console for RGB and use standard cables to fir the application.

the model 1 gen on model 2 cd is a pain in the ass too, I think it would be best if you went model 2 on both genesis and cd versions. you'll get better sound out of the cart games on a model 2 but the system with supplied cables wont have as nice a picture but that's where the modding will fix that. something like an RGB mod, you could go to RGB SCART or RGB over standard RCA jacks, its up to you, but that's the way I would go.

after that then RGB into what ever upscaler you want or pipe it directly into a tv or monitor (monitor like Sony BVM/PVM) that's able to understand that signal
    I was under the impression from all the research I've done (mainly this page) that the Genesis 1 and 2 can output RGB without mods just fine if you have the right cables. Am I wrong about this? I thought the NES and N64 were the ones that needed the mods.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Genesis has an RGB output. Just that the signal tends to be bright and may have vertical bars.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

it probably wont be a just buy cables and use sort of situation but more like a modify console for RGB and use standard cables to fir the application.l
    Genesis puts out RGB natively through the DIN AV port.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Genesis has an RGB output. Just that the signal tends to be bright and may have vertical bars.
    Do the bars come through the RGB, too? In that case, you may want find a VA6 Model 1, it has the best video without bars or "rainbow banding."

Check this guide for details: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-from-bad-ones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post

Do the bars come through the RGB, too? In that case, you may want find a VA6 Model 1, it has the best video without bars or "rainbow banding."

Check this guide for details: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-from-bad-ones
    Yeah, my Genesis is one of the "good" ones described there, so am I over thinking this? Just get the SCART cable and a framemiester or what not from my dealer of choice and call it a day? Do I need to do anything special when hooking the CD up to the Genesis to get better audio or does running the Stereo cable from the Genesis to the CD take care of that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Yes but the din is a pain in the ass that's why i suggested what i did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yes but the din is a pain in the ass that's why i suggested what i did.
    I think the standard procedure is to use a DIN to SCART cable to get the RGB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I find RCAs alot easier, plus I'm sure there's things you can do to improve the quality of the rgb since it seems some have a jail bar ish thing going on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The raw RGB is clean video, no jail bars or anything else. All of that is the product of the composite video encoder which RGB bypasses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the model 1 gen on model 2 cd is a pain in the ass too, I think it would be best if you went model 2 on both genesis and cd versions. you'll get better sound out of the cart games on a model 2 but the system with supplied cables wont have as nice a picture but that's where the modding will fix that.
    The Model 1 High Definition Graphics first editions have the best sound chip. To get stereo simply pull from the headphone jack. Ironic it has that graphics label yet does not offer SVideo or Component and only has non standard RGB that few TVs can support. The Genesis would have to be modded to get the better quality SVideo or Component video connections.

An Upscaler pulling from a composite signal is still only a composite signal.
    Perhaps a SCART converter box and Genesis adapter cable to pull from the RGB signal; AHA!

Last edited by CRTGAMER; 07-07-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I use scart to pull RGB looks terrific. You need an upscale or converter to go to component or hdmi or vga though. SCART I use has stereo 3.5mm jack wired in, which I plug into the headphone jack, mixes stereo audio in.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I use scart to pull RGB looks terrific. You need an upscale or converter to go to component or hdmi or vga though. SCART I use has stereo 3.5mm jack wired in, which I plug into the headphone jack, mixes stereo audio in.
    Yeah, I'm currently saving up for the xRGB mini after seeing it perform in person, figure I'll go big or go home on this stuff. The headphone jack thing had me confused, but after reading your post I went looking for those kind of cables and found them. So problem solved. Thanks everyone!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Dormond View Post
    Yeah, I'm currently saving up for the xRGB mini after seeing it perform in person, figure I'll go big or go home on this stuff. The headphone jack thing had me confused, but after reading your post I went looking for those kind of cables and found them. So problem solved. Thanks everyone!
    It's pricey for sure. Depending on what SCART cables you get, remember that EuroSCART pins <> JapanSCART pins. Plugging a Euro cable into the Framemeister will break it. Need the adapter.

There's also a cable that mixes stereo audio from Gen 1 to the 32X.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you go with the RGB to Scart to Component Conversion Box, you could run the Genesis Model 1 headphone jack directly to the audio RCA stereo input of your TV.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    It's pricey for sure. Depending on what SCART cables you get, remember that EuroSCART pins <> JapanSCART pins. Plugging a Euro cable into the Framemeister will break it. Need the adapter.

There's also a cable that mixes stereo audio from Gen 1 to the 32X.
    Yeah, I've read about that. The adapter the Framemeister comes with is for JP21, right? I should probably chuck that thing in the trash when I get it so I never mess that up.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Yeah, I've read about that. The adapter the Framemeister comes with is for JP21, right? I should probably chuck that thing in the trash when I get it so I never mess that up.
    Correct if you have euroscart you need an adapter to JP21. I've seen ones on ebay made specifically to go from 21pin euro to 8pin DIN frame meister port.