Default Fake US pokemon Greens on ebay?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Looks just like pokemon red or blue, but you can change the color scale to green?
    I would guess this is some hack in a bootleg cart.
    So... yeah.. totally worth 100$+.... not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Practically every Pokemon and Zelda GBC and GBA game on ebay is a counterfeit.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Looks just like pokemon red or blue, but you can change the color scale to green?
    I would guess this is some hack in a bootleg cart.
    So... yeah.. totally worth 100$+.... not.
    Those are definitely hacks. Didn't know they were worth that much but hacked Pokémon games are sought after for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah it's a bootleg, even the shell is wrong and they just re-shaded things and wrote green on the title which is dumb. At least if you're going to peddle pokemon green, sort out the color changes from Japan to the US, and then run a translation patch on the right one to get the desired effect, and then shove that in a legit GB plastic shell.

The reason why some of the hacks get a lot is that some frothing pokemaniacs will go so far as to make an entirely new game, new adventure, and full roster of pokemon to play with, hundreds of hours of work or more. It gives the nuts something to do between the legit releases from Nintendo. Also some may not like all the more updated changes so you can get a hack game from a period and stay in that little space of time. Of course there are those who are just pirate collectors and trying to catch em all with the pokemon fakes would be quite the rush and a task to do so.

My start and end with any pokemon ownership at this rate is the Yellow I got a couple days ago and I've had FireRed for awhile now. Anything else I've picked up every few generations to see if I can get into it, and even with X on the 3DS that didn't last long. They all kind of blur together and add nothing of value as it got newer, even the 3DS one is just convoluted and slow with too much bloat as a one player game. Maybe that one is badass online battling but I don't do it. I started with red, nearly finished it, did take down yellow, skipped it until the GBA firered was out and enjoyed that, skipped again until soulsilver which I didn't get into for long, then did X which bored and annoyed me so I went back to the older 2 I cared for most. Maybe I'd care more if I started as a kid, but pokemon came out in 1996 and I was in college at that point.

Probably a dick thing to do, but I reported it as a counterfeit. He's being dishonest making it out to be legit. Say it's a hack, even lie and call it a 'repro' but he's just being shady.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It looks like someone actually did make a translation patch for Pokemon Green awhile ago. But the pictures I saw looked limited to the original 5-letter Pokemon name limit.
    This one is possibly a sprite hack. (one of the things more well-known about the Japanese Red/Green is that they had different Pokemon sprites, they were redrawn for the Japanese Pokemon Blue. And the western Red/Blue were I think basically Japanese Blue with R/G Pokemon location data)

I have seen another bootleg translation of Green that looks like sort of the opposite of the infamous "Vietnamese Crystal" bootleg English translation of Crystal. Whereas VC was famous for its very broken English, this translation looks super-verbose and literal (though hard to read as it doesn't really care about linebreaks). There's videos on youtube but I don't think a ROM or patch exists. Oddly enough they expanded the battle menus. Something Nintendo didn't really do (they rearranged them a bit though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Of course there are those who are just pirate collectors and trying to catch em all with the pokemon fakes would be quite the rush and a task to do so.

I see what you did there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yup I went there because it's so very true. I've seen enough people who buy anything pokemon, even if it's fake, because it's unique and different. Even if a hack is even semi-comptent it's probably worth it to have just to get a different story or some oddly hacked up new frankenpokemon. I don't see the fascination, but I get the idea.