Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DooM console ports?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default DooM console ports?

I unfortunately could not afford a new computer that could run DooM as a kid when it came out. Since I had a Sega Genesis at the time I saved up my money and purchased a Sega 32X when I found out a launch title was DooM. I revisited the title recently in this video and found out it did not age well. What is your favorite port of DooM?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Jaguar. Yeah, no in-level music. It's still super smooth, preserved the level designs better than others, and could be played in a LAN.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Jaguar. Yeah, no in-level music. It's still super smooth, preserved the level designs better than others, and could be played in a LAN.
    Was it the same level design as the Playstation version?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Nope. The Playstation versionsof Doom mixed and matched levels from Doom and Doom 2, and a few are missing sections or are new. The Jaguar version was the only one done by id. It doesn't have quite as many levels as the PC game, but it's the closest overall.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Nope. The Playstation versionsof Doom mixed and matched levels from Doom and Doom 2, and a few are missing sections or are new. The Jaguar version was the only one done by id. It doesn't have quite as many levels as the PC game, but it's the closest overall.
    Wow jaguar could of been the ultimate port if it had music...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The 3DO version was my favorite. I only owned it and the 32X version. I don't remember ever playing any other port.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoyed the 32X version quite a bit. I didn't watch the video I don't have an hour to listen to someone talking about the game. I enjoyed the GBA ports and would say it is my favorite overall.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Get an original Xbox, softmodd it, and then download DoomX.

DoomX is by far the best classic Doom on console experience.

check out my video review.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocitl1lrYoA
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I want to watch that video, can't do it right now.

I saw Jag DOOM came up as a question about the PS version. They're not the same, but the quailty unique version of DOOM that the Jaguar did get, it went to GAMEBOY ADVANCE when it showed up there. It's a true port, though I could have sworn on GBA it did have music if the Jag one really was silent. The sequel DOOM 2 on the GBA though, that was a copycat of the PC game as much as memory limits allowed as one stage was so big they had to slice it in half with an exit door and make it into two to fit. If you really want a quality copy of DOOM on the go which isn't some tablet junk or emulation package of the original on a handheld device the GBA game is it with DOOM 2.

Over the years I've had the PC, SNES, GBA versions and still do, but I've also had the Saturn and PS1 copies as well, and played a few others.

CHeck this out if you really want to know how close all the various versions were from one another, or how far apart they were, this thing has been around ages and is definitive.
    http://classicdoom.com/doomcomp.htm

Wow if I see this right, the 32X version I think is worse than the SNES game -- stunning. I decided to verify that with that link I gave. No BFG9000, no saving and only monster face view (like snes, ugh), none of the bosses, least levels of any port including snes and even has inaccessible rooms that are on the map. I could list it all, but bleh --> http://classicdoom.com/doomcomp.htm#17 click that. I feel sorry whoever paid good money for that in the day.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 07-14-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd go with the 32X version. The SNES version ran really choppy and clunky. the Jag one required owning a Jaguar, and I wasn't even aware that there was a 3D0 port, though I can't even imagine playing it with that terrible controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've only played SNES and Saturn Doom as far as ports go, so I'd have to say JAPANESE Saturn Doom. It plays at a faster framerate than the terrible US/PAL versions.

I also like that Saturn Doom includes Doom 1 and 2. It's nice having 60 levels of Doom on one disc.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I like the SNES version. Supremely impressive for the hardware (although, not exactly great in practice).

All I had was a SNES back then and I love the hell out of DOOM. Plus, it's not based off the Jaguar port and has better geometry, lighting, and texture variety than the 3DO/Jag/32x versions. Granted, it's missing out on floor/ceiling textures and sprites that look any other way than directly at you, but it's still DOOM. And the SNES soundtrack is fantastic. Clunky, but great, in my eyes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well said. The SNES one gets dumped on, but I'll take the lower framerate and the slightly clunky controls (with strafing and corners) that people ding it for over any of the Sega/PSX versions. The Jag one if you want to experience it without the garbage, get the GBA one as it is a copycat of it (like the 3DO) but being much later and the GBA parts known enough then it was nicely optimized to run nice. The SNES one, check that link I gave, it's odd, but going along side all the other versions it's the closest to the PC version when taking into consideration copying the actual PC game maps and features as they took less liberties. Really the SNES version had my idiot ex employer years ago had put in a cheap ass budget password (preferably a battery) that game would be far up the lovability scale. And had they used a chip just 2MB in size larger than the existing, the missing other views on the monsters would have been in place too as it just fell short.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I had the 32X and 3DO version back in the day. I wasn't complaining with those versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I actually like the SNES version of Doom too. It's not a popular opinion, but it's a port that has grown on me over the years, and I now appreciate what it is considering the hardware limitations. I liked it enough to score it an 8.5 out of 10 on my website.

FYI too: Japanese SFC Doom >>> US SNES Doom

Japanese Doom allows you to start off from any episode on any difficulty level. US Doom allows you to start off any episode, but if you're starting off ep. 2 or 3 you have to play on hurt me plenty or ultra violence respectively, making those options basically useless since you're starting off with a pistol in very hostile monster-infested stages...

Still wish they included a save or PW option, but SFC Doom does mitigate somewhat the glaring lack of such options that would have further increased its enjoyability/longevity factor.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That right there is my one beef I didn't remember to list about SNES DOOM, terribly entry points to the other chapters due to difficulty requirement and no weapons other than a pop gun. It's nice at least they refined it a bit for the Japanese, and had they gave that one a password or battery I'd have imported it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
    I like the SNES version. Supremely impressive for the hardware (although, not exactly great in practice).

All I had was a SNES back then and I love the hell out of DOOM. Plus, it's not based off the Jaguar port and has better geometry, lighting, and texture variety than the 3DO/Jag/32x versions. Granted, it's missing out on floor/ceiling textures and sprites that look any other way than directly at you, but it's still DOOM. And the SNES soundtrack is fantastic. Clunky, but great, in my eyes.
    The SNES also had the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind which were not featured in a lot of the other ports which is impressive that the SNES had them and confusing the other systems didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I've only played SNES and Saturn Doom as far as ports go, so I'd have to say JAPANESE Saturn Doom. It plays at a faster framerate than the terrible US/PAL versions.

I also like that Saturn Doom includes Doom 1 and 2. It's nice having 60 levels of Doom on one disc.
    Seconded. It's far from perfect but still quite enjoyable thanks to the Saturn pad and link-up option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know we're talking about ports and stuff, but I'm going to put this pair of strong recommendations in this thread since it's active.

Fan of the N64 game, hate the lame darkness on it MIdway screwed up so bad you can't see it on a lot of TVs? Care to be able to play this understated unique DOOM game that isn't N64 DOOM, but is a unique game, but not on the N64? Got the ROM handy? Try this: https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/ Get this program, use the converter to rip the data out of your N64 ROM, then play it on a modern pc with mouse/key controls and other perks.

http://forum.drdteam.org/viewforum.php?f=23 And this still seems to be the best PC(and other) frontend to run a modern session of DOOM with the best perks (works on any WAD file so D2, Ultimate, Final, Heretic, etc)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just compiled my top list. Let me know what you think.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to KWKBOX For This Useful Post:

Steve W (05-27-2018)