Thread: How the Commodore Amiga changed gaming - and my life [Eurogamer.net]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow How the Commodore Amiga changed gaming - and my life [Eurogamer.net]

I'm here thanks to the Commodore Amiga, that flat beige biscuit of a computer which celebrated its 30th birthday this week, and saw off the 8-bit computers as surely as an asteroid did for the dinosaurs. Admittedly, it was those 8-bit computers - specifically my beloved ZX Spectrum - which got me into gaming in the first place, but it was the Amiga that helped me transition that childhood passion into an adult career.
    At a time when the technical advances between hardware generations is harder and harder to perceive, it's easy to forget just how seismic the impact of the Amiga was. Certainly for those of us weaned on the single-digit colour palette and squawking buzzer sounds of the Speccy, the difference between the old and the new was as eye-popping as the transition from black and white to widescreen technicolour in The Wizard of Oz.
    Here was a computer that could do sumptuously detailed and colourful graphics. It could produce music that sounded like real instruments. It had games that were in solid polygon 3D and, unlike pioneers such as Driller, these games were smooth and fast. Well, fast for the time, at least.
    Read more…
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Great read!

I finally got an Amiga 500 (with the 512 meg upgrade) from a newspaper ad in 1989. I'd paid $500 for the computer, but it also came with the television adapter. I slowly expanded my library with games like Power Monger, Populous, FA/18 Hornet, the Dragon's Lair titles, Stunt Track Racer, Test Drive (with the expansion packs), 4D boxing, Defender of the Crown, Golden Axe, Sporting News Basketball and several other titles. The Dallas area had 3 dedicated Amiga stores, along with a rental store called Floppy Joe's, where I'd rented (copied a few titles) games when I couldn't afford to buy games. It was a pretty cool upgrade from my C-64 that I'd played games on since 1985, and it became an even better experience once I'd purchased the 1084s monitor to experience games in RGB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

The Ars Technica 8-part history of the Amiga is probably the most comprehensive narrative out there. Fascinating stuff.