Thread: Street Fighter 2010 image theft

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Street Fighter 2010 image theft

I don't post here often anymore, but I love seeing things like the metal gear box art coming from a movie still etc. Images "borrowed" or "stolen" from other sources that made it onto NES boxes. I found a new one today so I thought I would share:

I have this cool old polaroid of the box art for street fighter 2010 as it was being painted, right on the artist's easel, back in 1989 or 1990. Notice that in the lower left the artist had a picture pasted onto his board that he was obviously using as reference for the dragon (ie he was copying the dragon's pose and look). As long as I've had this polaroid I've always wondered what that painting being copied was... today I was able to determine that the dragon image that was being "lifted" was from a Conan paperback cover (conan painting by Boris Vallejo).

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

This happened all the time in the 80s, especially on the home computer formats. Covers that were based upon other works. Obviously two of the most well known were Michael Biehn from Terminator being used for Metal Gear, and Arnie in Predator being used for Contra.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    This happened all the time in the 80s, especially on the home computer formats. Covers that were based upon other works. Obviously two of the most well known were Michael Biehn from Terminator being used for Metal Gear, and Arnie in Predator being used for Contra.
    Oh sure, and there's a whole website full of them somewhere. But its hard to find new ones, and it would be pretty tough to put this one together without the assistance of that polaroid.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Hardcore Gaming 101 has a gallery section of these. Some of them feel like a stretch, while others are downright hilarious how flagrant they are.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Hardcore Gaming 101 has a gallery section of these. Some of them feel like a stretch, while others are downright hilarious how flagrant they are.
    agreed on all counts. Most of them are fabulous and dead on, but a few do feel like a stretch for sure as well.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

That Polaroid of the work in progress is priceless.

To come across these works and have a comparison of the final product versus the source material is one thing. To actually see the artist's work area side-by-side with things he blatantly "inspires" himself with is quite another!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    That Polaroid of the work in progress is priceless.

To come across these works and have a comparison of the final product versus the source material is one thing. To actually see the artist's work area side-by-side with things he blatantly "inspires" himself with is quite another!
    Couldn't agree more! Its physical evidence on a level that we never have. A smoking gun when all we have on every other case is hearsay.

That being said, I don't think lifting a dragon's pose is a big deal. As long as the overall piece is something new.

Would it be nice if every piece was 100% original with zero "lifting" from other sources? Absolutely, but the practice was so prevalent in all forms of commercial illustration that if we don't allow ourselves to enjoy pieces where there was a bit of that going on, we're not going to have much left to enjoy!

For comics fans, check out this swipe from the cover of detective 27 (first appearance of batman):

Last edited by Bronty-2; 07-31-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2 View Post

I actually have a signed, numbered print of this in my storage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Nah...Greg Land's artwork is waaaayy more plaigaristic. He literally traces poses of models for some of his art.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    Nah...Greg Land's artwork is waaaayy more plaigaristic. He literally traces poses of models for some of his art.
    Yeah.... like I said above I'm not suggesting the artwork is plaigaristic. Greg Land is a separate issue (though I agree he's brutal for that).

Anyways its not like the artist that got copied was above copying from time to time either.

In the early/mid 90s a lot of stuff signed boris was by julie, stuff by julie signed boris, stuff by both signed by one or the other... its a mish mash.

I *speculate with no knowledge of it* that it was a way to sell publishers the same art at two prices points. Signed by boris (who had a long established rep by then already) at high prices or signed by julie (no rep yet at that point) at lower prices, while he kind of was quality control on all of it as she learned.

Anyways, Boris for all his ability was never really great with the dynamic action shots. Static stuff he's great with but when he tries to do dynamic figures they sometimes look awkward or wooden.

Long story short I own the original painting that was done to create the box art for Double Dragon V.

The art director spoke of Boris having a lot of trouble with the assignment (which was supposed to be the dragons "kicking through" the box dynamically at the viewer). He said he felt super awkward having to coach this famous artist through it

According to the art director, in the end, despite there being no mistake that it was Boris doing the art, Boris being coached, and Boris' rate ($5000) being paid, it was signed Julie... and of all things, appears to have been a bit of a rip off of a Rob Liefeld image (of all people to rip off! )

(published "flipped" / mirror image)

Last edited by Bronty-2; 08-04-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2 View Post
    (published "flipped" / mirror image)

I hate to nit-pick, but doesn't it look to you that the "Julie" signature in your large poster is flipped, and the Double Dragon V cover has it the right way around?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    I hate to nit-pick, but doesn't it look to you that the "Julie" signature in your large poster is flipped, and the Double Dragon V cover has it the right way around?
    Yeah I don't think you get it.

That's not a large poster, its the original painting. Not a print, not a poster, the hand made original art that Tradewest had created for the purpose of creating the packaging.

The artist signed it backwards so that when it was reproduced as a mirror image, the signature would read correctly.

I get the sense that you don't quite get how boxes were made in the day. Briefly they'd figure out what they wanted to show, get an artist to paint the scene, and then add text and seals of quality and logos and such as overlays in the printing process.

Take a look at most any vintage box in your collection. That image isn't a photo in most every case. So what could be it be? A painting, and you're looking at the one for DDV.

I get the confusion because some people have never stopped to think about it, and because they were generally purposely made without big brush strokes, to try and look as realistic as possible, but its hard to get a photo of a martial arts badass wielding a bright yellow lightsaber given that bright yellow lightsabers don't exist, yes? So, in the day before photoshop made digital art possible, you had your desired image painted with a real brush and real paint, and calling a pre-production artifact a poster makes my skin crawl
    Last edited by Bronty-2; 08-05-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops, I completely overlooked your line that it was an original painting, sorry.

And interesting that it was intended as a mirror image all along. Why not just paint it flipped? (Or is reversing a necessary step in printing / lithography....?)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    Whoops, I completely overlooked your line that it was an original painting, sorry.

And interesting that it was intended as a mirror image all along. Why not just paint it flipped? (Or is reversing a necessary step in printing / lithography....?)
    No worries...

Yeah I don't know but its a good question for sure.

I have to assume the decision to flip the image was made by the client halfway through the painting (after it was too late to change it, but before signing the name). As painting it "flipped" like this was not a common occurrence - and no not a necessary step in printing. It had to be spmething specific to this project.
    Last edited by Bronty-2; 08-05-2015 at 07:00 PM.