Thread: What is your favorite Sim game?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default What is your favorite Sim game?

From SimCity to SimFarm to SimAnt there have been a lot of Sim games. Mine has been SimTower. Which one is your favorite?

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Without a doubt it would have to be SimCity 2000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sims 2 and 3, unless these don't count, I'm not sure.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A let's play of a sim game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I don't know what all that video has, not really in the mood for prattling as I have House on in the background, but I will put this here.

Favorite? Sim City (Classic) Windows (and DOS) as I've put the most time, effort, and total cities on it, yet I'll flat out admit I always play it on easy so I can get the larger starting cash.

Second to that, Sim City 2000 (Windows, SNES, then DOS...after that the GBA one of all things is respectable as a SC/SC2K hybrid since it removes the underground garbage I wasn't that big on anyway.) And after that again from Maxis -- Sim Tower. Did you know that one came out also as 'The Tower SP' on GBA and that it is truly excellent on there? I really need to get it back.

Beyond that, not much, I can't say much ever really did float by boat other than the first 2 Railroad Tycoon DOS, then Win9X/Dreamcast for #2.) I've tried to like other stuff but it has so many stupid canned unfun scenarios or garbage in them trying to do something cool to be different than those who set the standard they suck. I know it's a stretch but if the original Civilization would count as a civilization simulation of peace, conquering or exploration that would rate way high on this list.

Is there even a way to run Sim Tower Win95 anymore? I know the installer spits all over 64bit windows and fails hard to even attempt running. I will not run a virtual machine, too much of a pain in the ass to set up and a space waster. I wish someone would make a DOSBOX like WINBOX that you just clicked and it worked (and yes i know you can fire up Win95 or 3.11 in DOSBOX, but again requires hoops and the old OS's too.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I would love it if EA would release a Maxis collection of all of the classic Sim games (City, Earth, Farm, Ant, Tower, Copter, Hospital) for $20 that would run on modern hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SimTower was the creation of one Yoot Saito, and actually had an official sequel by the name of Yoot Tower that was apparently much improved. It seems the original was also ported to the DS as The Tower DS, but that version never left Japan.

I never much cared for SimTower, myself. More than anything it seems to be an experiment in strategically managing and designing elevators. It might be much more tolerable on a faster machine, since the game can supposedly run as fast as the CPU will allow it.

I was pretty fond of SimFarm; it was oddly fast-paced, making sure that your crops were properly tended to and keeping livestock from wandering around and so on.

Did any of you play SimEarth? I spent a decent amount of time with that, but could never quite figure out what was going on. I remember filling a screen full of oxygen generators in the Mars scenario and getting annoyed when my ice meteors still wouldn't produce liquid water. Perhaps the SNES version with its neatly laid-out scenarios was an improvement? The Wikipedia article mentions weird things like carniferns and machine life.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I'd like to give SimEarth another go at some point. I played it on the SNES back when it was newish, and never really understood what was going on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

SNES SimCity. The title screen music sounded like a lulllaby IMHO.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    I'd like to give SimEarth another go at some point. I played it on the SNES back when it was newish, and never really understood what was going on.
    That was my problem with it too as I tried a ROM in the earlier SNES emulator days since it worked. Without a faq or manual it makes no sense at all. You kind of just watch it, click stuff, then it fails. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I've played most of the ones Pre-2004.

Sim City 2000 Special Edition: Enjoyed that.

Sim Tower: Loved it.

Sim Copter: Weird game, interesting potential and bizarrely executed even for 1996 but I still like it. (What with the "Greet" command in the megaphone... Sims being sucked into space, shooting at you and getting head injuries all from saying "I'd like a room with a shower, please!" "Be happy!" or "Attention everyone; Have a nice day!" to say a few) And then there's the Gay Easter Egg in the first run of the game, and let's not forget that if a Sim gets stuck on the side of a building in Rooftop Rescue you had to either fly the helicopter into the building for them to get in (damaging it but not wrecking it) or use the rescue harness in a weird way. Oh, and "superpowermultiply" cheat code that turns you into a dog if you hold shift. And then you can blow up a nuclear power plant with the helicopter that actually shoots bullets and rockets, and the commercials in the radio are so satirical.

Streets of Sim City: Twisted Metal clone, kinda funny how it's rated "E" yet has a reference to Cocaine in it along with guns and rocket launchers and whatnot blowing cars up. Also a really buggy game, you can wreck your car in this one easily if you end up with the car on its side; it'll just bounce up and down incessantly without using the popper to get it back on its wheels.

In both the above games you could take the city you built in SC2K and import it, then drive or fly through it. That's a nifty feature, I think and I'd find it cool if another city game - Either a new Sim City or one like it - would do this sort of thing.

Beyond that, I played Sim City 3000... And really, being a kid I had no idea what I was doing most of the time. Still, at least I learned how taking out loans to pay off other loans put me in debt. Hah.

Sim City 4 (With and without Rush Hour expansion) - Liked that.

Sim Earth: Had no idea what I was doing.

Sim Ant: Played this one a good bit, though it was super easy once I found, well, I won't spoil it.

Sim Town: Sim City 2000 for three to six year olds, generally.

Sim Farm: Also had no idea what I was doing and wrecked the darn crop duster numerous times because I had no idea how to fly it.

Sim Park: Played this one a decent bit and liked it.

Sim Safari: Also played this one a lot and enjoyed it.

The Sims (without expansions then with them as they came out,) played this one probably more than 1,000 hours and most likely ended up with nightmares from killing sims on purpose.

The Sims 2: Was too much for my PC when it first came out and didn't play it much until several years later. Enjoyed it but never played as much as the first game.

The Sims (Gamecube) Rented it for a week, didn't like it as much as the PC version. Kept giggling like a jerk at when I told the sim to touch the bug zapper.

The Sims 3: Didn't play much, it's a bit different from the first two.

Sim Life: Never played.

Sim Isle: Didn't know what I was doing in it.

Sim Tunes: Didn't play much, didn't know what I was doing.

Sim Theme Park: Played, liked.

Sim Coaster (Sim Theme Park sequel/similar game to): Played and didn't complete.

There are a few other Sim games that I didn't list which I didn't play.

- Austin