Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
Very good reviews of Little Ninja Brothers and Arabian Nights, I liked them.
Aww... thank you!

If Little Ninja Brothers wouldn't be so pricey in the meantime (cib) watching your review tempted me to pick it up.
Tell me about it, I just paid $90 for LNB CIB, and it was a *cheap* copy all things considered.

Too bad that Arabian Nights didn't turn out better. You showed the pros and cons very clearly. The unduly frequent random encounters in RPGs is a well-known problem even in fantastic ones like Skies of Arcadia for the DC. I asked myself why the programmers (although it is a homebrew) fell into this trap. Exaggerated encounters are frustrating at best if the gamer has a specific goal during a game session and are a big hurdle to identify with the storyline. Even for grind-loving animals like myself too frequent battles are just frustrating.
Arabian Nights wasn't a homebrew though, a legitimate commercial release in Japan, just fan translated. But I agree 100% about the random encounters, watching the video myself I was wondering why I didn't like the characters more. The clips I showed actually made them seem pretty likable but I'm wondering if that disconnect between the grind and the cutscenes was preventing me from getting into the story after all.