Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 90

Thread: Daria Reviews Wonder Project J [SNES]

  1. #51
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Great review of Firestriker! Well, Daria, with this review you did it! I was never subscribed to a youtube channel but just now I subscribed to yours!



    I have to tell you, your reviews are getting better and better. I loved how you embedded the game up to Odama, and at the end of the review the watcher/listener knows what this game is about with its strenghts and flaws.

    Wasn't there a similar game on the Super Famicom, something called like Zig Zag Cats? I have to look that up. I remember it was a Breakout style adventure game with paddles.

    Too bad that Firestriker nowadays is complete so expensive. After watching your video I was tempted to buy it.

    Keep it up, girl!

  2. #52
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Wasn't there a similar game on the Super Famicom, something called like Zig Zag Cats? I have to look that up. I remember it was a Breakout style adventure game with paddles.
    Oooh. That one's new to me! Wish I'd known about it before I did the video.

    Edit: It looks more arcade-y somehow. Although it does have this free roaming hub between stages where you can save and do stuff? I love the zigu zagu gato voice synch during the title screen. Amazingly clear sound quality.
    Last edited by Daria; 12-19-2015 at 08:32 PM.

  3. #53
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Sega fans already know the awesome in store when playing Landstalker - do you?

  4. #54
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Great review again! I have Landstalker for about 15 years, never played it, now it's time to change that. I completely forgot that the game has an isometric view, and since I loved (!) Solstice (NES) and Equinox (SNES) I'll give the game a try. I had no idea that the game has such great graphics.

    I agree that the biggest hurdle for gameplay with isometric view are the diagonal jumps and finding out the exact position of the blocks. In Equinox and Solstice these were part of the puzzles and the games even played with optical illusions, so it wasn't frustrating. I'll see how this works with an action-adventure with RPG elements.

    Is Time Stalkers for the Dreamcast a sequel to Landstalker?

  5. #55
    Strawberry (Level 2) Koa Zo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    588
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Is Time Stalkers for the Dreamcast a sequel to Landstalker?
    I think they may take place in the same world, but the games are nothing alike.

  6. #56
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    I think they may take place in the same world, but the games are nothing alike.
    Yeah Time Stalkers is a rogue-like, mystery-dungeon game. Has some character cameos from other Climax games, like Shining in the Darkness and Landstalker.

  7. #57
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Willow proves that even movie-tie in games can be good

  8. #58
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Shadows of Adam is a new Kickstarter JRPG in the style of Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

  9. #59
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Great review of Willow! I commented on that already on your Youtube page, I like this game a lot, it has charme and atmosphere. And the editing of your Youtube reviews are really good.

    Interesting project this 'Shadow of Adam' game. I will look into it, I like the gameplay and the looks. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

  10. #60
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Great review of Willow! I commented on that already on your Youtube page, I like this game a lot, it has charme and atmosphere. And the editing of your Youtube reviews are really good.

    Interesting project this 'Shadow of Adam' game. I will look into it, I like the gameplay and the looks. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    It's a shame Capcom doesn't do RPGs anymore - although I know better. Modern Capcom is an empty shell of it's former self.

    Also, yeah, I feel like I learn something new with every project (in regards to editing).

  11. #61
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Treasure of the Rudras is the best RPG from Squaresoft to remain unreleased in the West

  12. #62
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Great that you reviewed Treasure of the Rudras!

    Recently I read up more in depth about Super Famicom RPGs not released in the US and Europe, and I discovered Repro carts of these games. I have to play these games, I had no idea how many fantastic SNES-RPGS were unfortunately never released in America. I am so looking forward to play these fantastic games.

    I 'll buy the following games very soon, do you have other suggestions? I might have overlooked some must-have games.

    Secret of Mana 2
    Tales of Phantasia
    Star Ocean
    Treasure of the Rudras
    Romancing Saga 3

    I really want the Tales game because I have all the Tales games released in the US (for consoles, I don't collect and play handhelds except for the couple of GBA games I have which I play with the Gameboy Player on the GameCube).

  13. #63
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Great that you reviewed Treasure of the Rudras!

    Recently I read up more in depth about Super Famicom RPGs not released in the US and Europe, and I discovered Repro carts of these games. I have to play these games, I had no idea how many fantastic SNES-RPGS were unfortunately never released in America. I am so looking forward to play these fantastic games.

    I 'll buy the following games very soon, do you have other suggestions? I might have overlooked some must-have games.

    Secret of Mana 2
    Tales of Phantasia
    Star Ocean
    Treasure of the Rudras
    Romancing Saga 3

    I really want the Tales game because I have all the Tales games released in the US (for consoles, I don't collect and play handhelds except for the couple of GBA games I have which I play with the Gameboy Player on the GameCube).
    Just warning you, Romancing Saga 3 doesn't have a finished translation and your character name displays with weird spacing issues (drives me nuts). It's mostly done, but I'd hold on a reproduction honestly. Tales of Phantasia's a good game, the SNES translation has a lot of swearing which a lot of people complain about. I didn't mind it, but it does sound out of place. The upgraded PSX version has two complete translations available, if I were to play the game again today it would be one of those and not the SNES version. Just for the updated graphics and additional party character. Also I'd probably just stick to the PSP version of Star Ocean, but there's nothing wrong with the SNES original. Seiken Densetsu 3 is a must play though! As is (obviously) Rudra.

    I also really liked:

    Dragon Quest III (the SFC remake is gorgeous)
    Dragon Quest V (yeah it's on DS but this is one of my favorite games)
    Dark Half (haven't spent too much time on this one but the concept of playing a vampire who has to eat NPCs to survive is a great hook)
    FEDA (It's like a darker more serious Shining Force)
    Glory of Heracles 3 (a really solid Dragon Quest clone in ancient Greece)
    Live A Live (Plays a lot like Saga Frontier, choose different chapters set in different time periods and genre settings with their own parties and gameplay styles)
    Madou Monogatari (You play a 6 year old little girl who happens to be the mascot from the puyo puyo games. She's a kindergartener in magic school and has to pass her final exam. It's a pretty simple game, but adorable and funny)
    Emerald Dragon (pretty basic RPG but I really liked the characters)
    Sailor Moon Another Story (Very pink. Terrible difficulty balance. But - dammit I really liked it. The story was all over the place and advanced quickly. Each sailor scout has her own mission, so you get a ton of backstory and character development)
    Radical Dreamers (Not an RPG. But a visual novel that ties in with Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Very well written and absolutely worth playing if you're a fan of the series).

    My three favorite SFC translations aren't RPGs though.
    Clock Tower (point and click survival horror)
    Wonder Project J (point and click, life sim adventure game)
    Famicom Detective Club Part 2 (murder mystery visual novel)

    There's a bunch I still haven't played though.

  14. #64
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Just warning you, Romancing Saga 3 doesn't have a finished translation and your character name displays with weird spacing issues (drives me nuts). It's mostly done, but I'd hold on a reproduction honestly. Tales of Phantasia's a good game, the SNES translation has a lot of swearing which a lot of people complain about. I didn't mind it, but it does sound out of place. The upgraded PSX version has two complete translations available, if I were to play the game again today it would be one of those and not the SNES version. Just for the updated graphics and additional party character. Also I'd probably just stick to the PSP version of Star Ocean, but there's nothing wrong with the SNES original. Seiken Densetsu 3 is a must play though! As is (obviously) Rudra.

    I also really liked:

    Dragon Quest III (the SFC remake is gorgeous)
    Dragon Quest V (yeah it's on DS but this is one of my favorite games)
    Dark Half (haven't spent too much time on this one but the concept of playing a vampire who has to eat NPCs to survive is a great hook)
    FEDA (It's like a darker more serious Shining Force)
    Glory of Heracles 3 (a really solid Dragon Quest clone in ancient Greece)
    Live A Live (Plays a lot like Saga Frontier, choose different chapters set in different time periods and genre settings with their own parties and gameplay styles)
    Madou Monogatari (You play a 6 year old little girl who happens to be the mascot from the puyo puyo games. She's a kindergartener in magic school and has to pass her final exam. It's a pretty simple game, but adorable and funny)
    Emerald Dragon (pretty basic RPG but I really liked the characters)
    Sailor Moon Another Story (Very pink. Terrible difficulty balance. But - dammit I really liked it. The story was all over the place and advanced quickly. Each sailor scout has her own mission, so you get a ton of backstory and character development)
    Radical Dreamers (Not an RPG. But a visual novel that ties in with Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Very well written and absolutely worth playing if you're a fan of the series).

    My three favorite SFC translations aren't RPGs though.
    Clock Tower (point and click survival horror)
    Wonder Project J (point and click, life sim adventure game)
    Famicom Detective Club Part 2 (murder mystery visual novel)

    There's a bunch I still haven't played though.
    Thanks so much! This helps a lot. I'll wait then with Romancing Saga 3, I would have regret it buying it already. Yeah, Secret of Mana 2 and Rudras are a given, I'll look into the other suggestions. Is the Tales of Phantasia PS version the regular commercial Japanese one which offers also an English translation?

    The Dragon Quests III and V look very tempting. Very, very tempting.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-07-2016 at 11:15 PM.

  15. #65
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Is the Tales of Phantasia PS version the regular commercial Japanese one which offers also an English translation?
    Not sure what you mean, but I think you need an image of the regular Japanese release, not the "best of" or whatever they call their GH games. Absolute Zero has probably the better translation, but Cless Productions patch includes a lot of game tweaks. I don't know which is the better option. It's a matter of personal preference.

  16. #66
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Wanted to do something fun for Valentine's Day but missed the deadline. :P


  17. #67
    Cherry (Level 1) Guntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I didn't realize before how much cheesy singing there is in Rhapsody, wow.

    Come join us on Micro-64

  18. #68
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I didn't realize before how much cheesy singing there is in Rhapsody, wow.

    The scary part is I really highlighted the "good" songs. But overall the soundtrack falls under the "so bad it's GRRREAT!" theory.

  19. #69
    celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,774
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    The scary part is I really highlighted the "good" songs. But overall the soundtrack falls under the "so bad it's GRRREAT!" theory.
    When that game launched, I was assistant manager at a FuncoLand. I used to put the soundtrack CD in a PlayStation behind the counter, and a coworker named Eric and I would loudly sing the "Mountain Men" song every time it came up, regardless of what was happening in the store. Second best sing-a-long we ever had in that place. We also occasionally did a duet on the opening song, where I sang all of Cornette's parts while he sang the other girl's parts. Good times.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 02-19-2016 at 08:36 AM.

  20. #70
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    When that game launched, I was assistant manager at a FuncoLand. I used to put the soundtrack CD in a PlayStation behind the counter, and a coworker named Eric and I would loudly sing the "Mountain Men" song every time it came up, regardless of what was happening in the store. Second best sing-a-long we ever had in that place. We also occasionally did a duet on the opening song, where I sang all of Cornette's parts while he sang the other girl's parts. Good times.
    Holy crap that's hilarious! I'm going to forever picture that when I hear the song now. XD

  21. #71
    Cherry (Level 1) Guntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I hope you got promoted to manager for that.

    Come join us on Micro-64

  22. #72
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Great topic! I enjoyed the video as always. But one thing I won't forgive you, Daria - after viewing your video I actually listened to the Rhapsody soundtrack CD. It was wonderfully awful. I think the songs must be heard while playing the game, after 10 minutes playing the songs in the background I had to turn them off.

    I have this game now for over ten years on my shelves and never even looked at it. Thanks for reviewing it, I'll give the game a try just for the heck of it. The other two games sound very interesting as well. Again: great topic!

  23. #73
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    New video! I've reviewed three really unpoplular Genesis RPGs to see if there's anything worth playing here.



  24. #74
    celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,774
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    I like Sorcerer's Kingdom quite a bit. It definitely is quirky, but its length is just about right to get you through it without getting old. Fun game.

  25. #75
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Great 'Unepic Adventures' - review! I haven't played any of the games, but Sorcerer's Kingdom might be worthwhile. A long time ago I wanted to buy Traysia but thanks goodness I didn't because I read that it was a pretty bad game. I bought instead another game and spend twice the money -- it was Crusader of Centy. I don't regret this decision.

    To me it is still amazing how some games of the 8-bit- and 16-bit-eras failed to grab the players attention in the first hour of gameplay or just made it so terribly frustrating that you didn't give the game a second chance. Like with Sorcerer's Kingdom. I think game developers are nowadays much better to introduce the player slowly with rewards into gameplay. Something Nintendo and Miyamoto always mastered and implemented to perfection.

    But then it might also be a generational aspect of patience and expectations - while you had to evoke the players interest back then in the first hour of gameplay, today you have to do it in the first five minutes.
    Last edited by lendelin; 03-27-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. (deleted)
    By Manhattan Sports Club in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2015, 04:53 PM
  2. JRPGs: Dated or just Different?
    By Manhattan Sports Club in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-26-2014, 08:07 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 12:27 PM
  4. RGB for n00bs: a few questions
    By Oobgarm in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-13-2006, 06:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •