Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 2015 Finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default August 2015 Finds

No-one else started it so I might as well.

Hazen, PA Flea Market:

Gamecube and Hookups. $20. Also bought an old (1950s?) Electrolux vacuum cleaner for $12. Works nicely, and (not pictured) is a household cleaner - A steam cleaner - which I purchased for $10. It came with all the attachments and the box.

There was also a table set up there and they had an Atari 5200 2-Port model for $45, I wasn't really interested though I thought I'd mention it in case anyone here's interested and nearby. The dealer may be there tomorrow, on Sunday. It's a once-a-month, non-winter flea markat.

Later, I went to a yard sale. I bought a Game Gear there which I haven't seen work yet; it came with a carrying case, AC Adapter, Cable to play system in car and three games: Mortal Kombat, NHL Hockey and Sonic The Hedgehog 2. All have manuals as does the system. $7. I tried using both the AC adapter and the car charger, plus I used the batteries that came in it and it didn't turn on no matter what. I'm still not sure if I have a system that won't turn on though, it could be that all those just don't work - I don't yet have anything to test the AC adapter with.

Last, Bought a copy of Congo Bongo for Atari 2600 for $2. What is this game about, a deep jungle explorer having coconuts thrown at him by monkeys?

- Austin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3164.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	8221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3163.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	8222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3168.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	8223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3169.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	8224  

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default CD-i

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	8225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	8226

Estate sale CD-i haul. All complete (minus cardboard sleeves where applicable)
    Almost everything is in new condition. I paid $15 for the lot.
    They tell me they haven't seen the Cdi itself, though.

I have never seen any CD-i stuff in the wild so it was a little surreal plucking this many titles out of a box of old Windows and DOS games.
    As a matter of fact, I've been on a long collecting break because I'd gotten sick of resellers snagging all the good stuff while I'm at work on Fri mornings. I never find anything good on Saturdays. I found this stash at 2:00 in the afternoon so I feel pretty lucky. I'm going to have to start getting up early again.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Nifty. I've been looking for anything CDI related along with 3DO and Laseractive (And yes, I do realize that was rare even when it was new) and haven't noticed anything of the sort yet. Just, nothing.

Also, since we're on subject of things we haven't seen in the wild before I did see a bunch of Texas Instruments cartridges in person where the same dealer had the Atari 5200. She had a bunch of games there.

Maybe I'll end up finding a Vectrex. Well, I found one in my imagination - does that count? I'd like to think so.

- Austin

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Nes toaster for 3 bucks, pretty beat up

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    Bought a copy of Congo Bongo for Atari 2600 for $2. What is this game about, a deep jungle explorer having coconuts thrown at him by monkeys?
    Yeah, pretty much. It's based on a Sega arcade game with an isometric playfield. The 2600's version isn't all that good. Keep your eye out for the Intellivision version, that's a crazy rare one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve W For This Useful Post:

Slate (08-12-2018)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Nes toaster for 3 bucks, pretty beat up
    I've been making decent bank with highly customized toasters. Replace the connector, clean it up, go wild with a theme. You can always start basic with a straight forward paint job and get more creative as your skills increase. If you're so inclined.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to camarotuner For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-02-2018)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    I've been making decent bank with highly customized toasters. Replace the connector, clean it up, go wild with a theme. You can always start basic with a straight forward paint job and get more creative as your skills increase. If you're so inclined.
    Just wondering, what do you do with the original connector afterwards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I said I probably wasn't going to post any more pics with my finds but I was bored. And it's been a good few days of finds. Plus the thread is still pretty dead so it could use a minor injection.

Rogue Leaders: The Story Of Lucasarts hardcover book
    Batman And Son trade paperback
    Batmobile model sealed

The 1960's tv show Batmobile is probably my least favorite of all the Batmobiles but it still looks kind of cool in a retro way. I picked this up at a flea market for $5. I would have loved for this to have been one of the movie Batmobiles but it was cheap so I figured why not. I had been looking for the Rogue Leaders book for awhile and finally found it for about $15 at a bookstore. It will make a nice momento now that Lucasarts is no more. The Batman And Son paperback was found at Goodwill for $1.50. I sometimes wonder how people can throw stuff like that out. It's a good story and I watched the animated version earlier this year, which I also liked.

Now that the Xbox One plays blurays I tend to pick them up much more frequently than I did when I use to use my PS3 as a primary bluray player. The majority of these dvds and blurays were from Goodwill for $2 each and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Safe House, The Justice League season one and Chloe are all sealed. The Walking Dead season two was found at a yard sale but was also $2.

A bunch of PS2 demos that were roughly $2 each surrounding one of the three hottest games of the summer in Rare Replay. Well technically it's 30 games in 1 but you get the gist. Normally I would have bought this from Best Buy and because of my gamers club unlocked discount it would have been $24. But the Microsoft store was running a deal where you'd get a free $10 Xbox gift card for pre-ordering this and since I had a $10 off code(from my cereal box of all places) I picked this up for $20 new with a free $10 Xbox gift card. You really can't beat deals like that.

So this was my craigs list find from a few days ago. The seller had these games listed with an Xbox One system for $350. I already have an Xbox One so I messaged him to ask how much he would want for just the games. He said $100 and I thought that was a good deal so I accepted. That makes each game roughly $14 each which isn't bad at all considering Batman: Arkham Knight(the second of the three hottest games of the summer) just came out less than two months ago. But it gets even better than that...

When I picked the games up the seller told me he was having issues with his Xbox so he decided to get rid of everything a few days after he had purchased some of these. He also bought the season pass for Batman: Arkham Knight($40) and for Lego batman 3: Beyond Gotham($15). So when you factor those two in each game comes out to roughly a little more than $6 each. Deal of the summer? As far as stuff I'm keeping for myself than yes so far. Which brings me to my next question: who wants to buy a copy of Madden 15? That's the only game in there I know I'll never play so I'm open to trades or a sale. I just want to get rid of it.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 08-07-2015 at 09:00 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Just wondering, what do you do with the original connector afterwards?
    Depends, if it looks salvagable I try boiling it and bending it back into position and sometimes I end up with a good connector. If not, toss it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. It's based on a Sega arcade game with an isometric playfield. The 2600's version isn't all that good. Keep your eye out for the Intellivision version, that's a crazy rare one.
    Thanks. BTW, I had a copy of H.E.R.O. for Atari 5200 and now it seems to have gone up on price and demand on eBay. I never had a 5200 at the time so I don't know if it worked, to my recollection I sold it and some other 5200 games here on DP.

Also, last week I bought a copy of Burnout for Gamecube for $8 at The Exhange store in Monroeville. Not exactly a "Find in the wild", per se, but it's video game related. I only wanted a copy to make a recording of a crash replay I have on a memory card I somehow managed to keep since 2003. In it the car actually goes over the guard rail and into a ravine, which is the only time I've ever seen it happen in the original game - pretty rare in my experience though it's easy to do in later Burnout games.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 08-12-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Which brings me to my next question: who wants to buy a copy of Madden 15? That's the only game in there I know I'll never play so I'm open to trades or a sale. I just want to get rid of it.
    Best Buy must have been listening to me. They are running a special this week through the end of August where trading in Madden 15 gets you at least $15 in store credit depending on the system it's for and your credentials(rewards member or rewards unlocked member). I'll see how much I can get and will then update. Hopefully it's a decent amount.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Depends, if it looks salvagable I try boiling it and bending it back into position and sometimes I end up with a good connector. If not, toss it.
    ACK! no tossing!

if your handy you can take 2 of them, solder the connectors end to end, on the non flexy side after hacking them down the middle between the top and bottom sections, and an old IDE or Floppy cable and then make your self a better connector.
    and if your really good at it you can find a way to mount it to the carrage the game goes into so its just like normal but theres no need to push it down, although you can if you want, it just wont have that flexing connector thing going on any more....ya know, the failure point.

I've rarely found actual broken connectors, only a very few I have come across have actual broken pins in them, one was corroded and the plastic was crumbling away but I have only seen that one do that

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

If I was close enough to you I would offer to pick them up rather than see them tossed. I don't need any more of them but if anything I would install them in any console I came across that had the original connector replaced. I usually have no problems with cleaning them and they seem to work better than aftermarket replacements.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    ACK! no tossing!

if your handy you can take 2 of them, solder the connectors end to end, on the non flexy side after hacking them down the middle between the top and bottom sections, and an old IDE or Floppy cable and then make your self a better connector.
    and if your really good at it you can find a way to mount it to the carrage the game goes into so its just like normal but theres no need to push it down, although you can if you want, it just wont have that flexing connector thing going on any more....ya know, the failure point.

I've rarely found actual broken connectors, only a very few I have come across have actual broken pins in them, one was corroded and the plastic was crumbling away but I have only seen that one do that
    I can buy perfectly good replacement connectors for 8 bucks shipped (less if I ever bought in bulk). Time is money. It's just not financially viable to bother with anything beyond "throw in boiling water and see if it's a 10 minute fix". Before I found out about the boiling thing I never even bothered with the old connectors. They ALL got tossed. The realities of business I'm afraid. When it's cheaper to replace than repair, I replace.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    If I was close enough to you I would offer to pick them up rather than see them tossed. I don't need any more of them but if anything I would install them in any console I came across that had the original connector replaced. I usually have no problems with cleaning them and they seem to work better than aftermarket replacements.
    Though I still have my original and I think two aftermarket connectors, I think I've lost track which is which.
    Though it's good that it's not thrown out, not sure if I could tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I can buy perfectly good replacement connectors for 8 bucks shipped (less if I ever bought in bulk). Time is money. It's just not financially viable to bother with anything beyond "throw in boiling water and see if it's a 10 minute fix". Before I found out about the boiling thing I never even bothered with the old connectors. They ALL got tossed. The realities of business I'm afraid. When it's cheaper to replace than repair, I replace.
    well any way I've always had luck getting them fixed if they weren't physically missing bits.

as for the painting, not really into themes. I cant paint I just don't have any good theme ideas and at my new ish (been here only a few years) house I don't have a good clean place to paint.
    at my old place I could paint a car in the garage, here not so much. theres not much of a way to vent it out and the ways I have are go to the house or the attic. even for small projects to do it out side would wind up with a lot of junk in the paint. its been so dusty and smokey this year it would get ruined before it dried.

I need to do something soon because there might be a car that needs paint soon.

I have been thinking of taking OE parts and shrinking down systems using the original parts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Bought a Unisonic Tournament 2000 Pong machine with lightgun (but turns out no paddles) and shockingly a Japanese import copy of Shenmue. That was the only Dreamcast game they had, but the place had a bookshelf with three shelves filled with Playstation 2 sports games of every type. I kind of wonder if a game store closed down and donated all their unsold stock to this thrift for a tax write-off. I have seen that before. And there was a Play N' Trade several miles away that shut down at some point this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I always find it strange to find import games out and about, more so if they are cartridge based games.

They are so irresistible you just have to buy them when you find them to. You just don't know if they are crap or not or even if they are common games you have the us release of to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

some picture worth and notable finds today nothing quite like my earlier Saturn games but considering my vegas trip sucked major ass I am glad I am having luck here. not to say vegas hunting didn't go well it just didn't go, didn't happen.

any way I found these for $1 at good will as is:

Name:	aug15 finds 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	8266
    I made a post about it last night over here

then today I found these:

Name:	aug15 finds.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	8267
    MONEY SHOT!

I just realized that its a picture of my crotch that I took in my car, thankfully theres games in the way to hide my shame

any way these were listed at 2.99 each but when I rang up the total was 11.98 so I either got one free or the checker discounted them for me or something.
    I did see her hit a quantity of 5 and then 2.99. the only other things I found was a worn n64 controller for $2 and a ds charger for $1

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hit up the flea market yesterday and picked up a few things from one of the booths I regularly visit. I snagged a Super Mario 3D World for WiiU along with The Great Circus Mystery for SNES as well as empty boxes for Alleyway on Gameboy and a Pikachu 3DS XL (the box has all of the documents and what not...just no system). All total it ran me $60.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"