Thread: NES bad picture quality + no sound

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES bad picture quality + no sound

I purchased an NES via Ebay about a month ago. I managed to get it to work, but the picture quality is quite bad and there is no sound. When the sound eventually does come around, it comes in the form of a loud buzzing noise. What should I do? Here's a video showcasing my problems. https://youtu.be/GH9FiZyLM5M

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I may be way off, but based on the patterns of interference it seems like the audio is crossing into the video stream. When I messed up some cables on my Genesis a similar thing happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Einzelherz View Post
    I may be way off, but based on the patterns of interference it seems like the audio is crossing into the video stream. When I messed up some cables on my Genesis a similar thing happened.
    How did you solve it? And how can I?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Looks like a broken RF adapter that's beyond its life. I've seen this on the NES and older stuff like the fairchild channel F which is from the mid 70s. Try getting a new RF from radio shack or something, or get a RCA cable and pop that in. Even if the RCA you have is stereo, it still will at least let you see and hear if it's a busted system or busted RF cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Looks like a broken RF adapter that's beyond its life. I've seen this on the NES and older stuff like the fairchild channel F which is from the mid 70s. Try getting a new RF from radio shack or something, or get a RCA cable and pop that in. Even if the RCA you have is stereo, it still will at least let you see and hear if it's a busted system or busted RF cable.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-SNES-Sup...item2c7f5a78fb
    Would this help?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No that would be useless as it's basically an extension cord of sorts.

You need this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-AV-Audio...item1c5546dd12 (MONO Audio/Video cable)
    *or*
    you need this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Nin...item35e62fdbab (RF cable)

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Did you import a NTSC NES into Europe? Is this a PAL NES? I see a PAL RF adapter and then a more traditional RF adapter with a screw fitting, how are you connecting the NES to your television? How are you powering the NES? Need more details here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good point, could just be incompatible parts, not broken ones. I was thinking NTSC.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapiezero View Post
    Yes, if you're in Europe that would be a direct cable to connect the RF output to European TVs. I would listen to Bratwurst first as he knows what he's talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

We both know what we're talking about. The two parts I linked up are directly what the NES uses to connect to a TV, at least a NTSC TV. Modern PAL tvs use NTSC gear as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm guessing RF is going to be regionally different, if it's an NTSC toploader and you're trying to connect to a PAL television, you'll want to get a NTSC VCR or similar with its own demodulator, and get RCA composite video from that. Or you could try tuning into the RF signal on different channels on the television. Just a guess.

A more thorough solution would be to get the toploader modded for composite video, have a NESRGB board installed, or wait for the HDMI kit by Kevtris.
    Last edited by Bratwurst; 08-07-2015 at 04:00 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

We both know what we're talking about. The two parts I linked up are directly what the NES uses to connect to a TV, at least a NTSC TV. Modern PAL tvs use NTSC gear as well.
    And yet you said this;

No that would be useless as it's basically an extension cord of sorts.
    He posts a link to a compatible cable and you tell him it's incompatible, mistaking it for an extension cable. You then post a link for him to buy standard AV cables even though the console in his video is a top loader, which doesn't have AV connections. So far your advice is 50/50, which can just be confusing to someone asking for info.

Possible reasons for the issues are a worn/faulty RF switch as already mentioned, possible capacitor issues with the console, possible power supply issues if something is wrong with the adapter not providing the correct current needed for the console, or a possible issue with the TV itself.

That's a modern looking flat panel TV so it would probably be compatible with both PAL and NTSC signals, though I've heard that some multisystem TVs are only compatible through the AV or higher inputs, and not through the tuner. It could be a fault with the TV, though the only way to be sure is to try the console on another NTSC compatible TV or to try some other NTSC video on that TV through the RF tuner.

As for the NES top loader, I'm pretty sure that version never came out in Europe and only in North America and Japan(top loading famicom) so that has to be an import NTSC version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    As for the NES top loader, I'm pretty sure that version never came out in Europe and only in North America and Japan(top loading famicom) so that has to be an import NTSC version.
    You're right, though I didn't know until today there was a PAL top loader that came out in Australia, it ain't European.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Did you import a NTSC NES into Europe? Is this a PAL NES? I see a PAL RF adapter and then a more traditional RF adapter with a screw fitting, how are you connecting the NES to your television? How are you powering the NES? Need more details here.
    I imported an NTSC toploader from the US. The RF switch couldn't be connected to the TV, so I then decided to purchase a PAL RF switch. This resulted in the quality showcased in the video. I then attempted solving the problem via a F to Coax converting thing. That didn't give me much better quality(still no sound).