Thread: Original Xbox HDD locking tools that are Windows based?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Default Original Xbox HDD locking tools that are Windows based?

I'm in the process of helping a friend repair an Xbox that was softmodded and now has an error code 16 (clock reset loop). Managed to find the EEPROM info from the backup on the HDD (he didn't have it backed up to a PC) by hotswapping it into my chipped Xbox.

Used that password with Xboxhdm 1.9 to unlock the drive and put a fresh file install on. All that's left to do is lock it back but here is where we ran into problems.

On the PC we were using we get an error within Xboxhdm that the drive is frozen and is unable to be locked. No amount of bios setting changes fixes that. Next attempted to run it on another (extremely ancient) Win95/DOS PC and couldn't even get the Linux distro to load properly, probably due to it being a 200mhz Pentium with 64mb of RAM.

Next tried it on my own desktop and ran into an obscure snag. I'm using a USB keyboard due to my PS2 connector being fried (long story, mistakenly stuck an IDE HDD enclosure power supply into it). Due to using a USB keyboard I can't select option 3 for the Linux HDD lock/unlock tool in Xboxhdm. I have to sit and wait for it to timeout and it automatically picks option 1. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't run into the frozen drive issue on this PC but due to having a USB keyboard I can't even select #3 to find out.

The only option I can think of off the top of my head is to find a Windows based lock/unlock tool (running XP on this system) but my searches are coming up empty handed.

Any ideas? Again I do have both the password and the EEPROM file and the HDD is unlocked.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

IDK, all the softmodding I've done is directly on an Xbox using a USB thumb drive attached to the controller port of the Xbox. So if it got messed up, I could reload the softmod program from USB, and reformat/fix the softmod OS on the HDD.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I ended up fixing this problem in about 5 seconds using another computer. My brother had an older computer and I remembered years ago he gave it to me to repair, which was right about the time I was trying to add two new HDDs to my Xboxes. Since his was laying in the floor it was much easier to use it than dig my desktop out of the cabinet and unhook everything.

Took longer to get the case off than to fix it.

However, in all my searches I never once found a Windows based tool that would let you lock or unlock Xbox HDDs. If you run into the problems like I did with one desktop saying the drive was frozen or being stuck with a USB keyboard, it looks like your only option is to locate another working desktop.