Thread: King's Quest: Adventures of Graham [Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default King's Quest: Adventures of Graham [Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360]

Quote Originally Posted by ESRB rating page
    Rating Category:
    Everyone 10+

Content Descriptors:
    Fantasy Violence

Rating Summary:
    This is an adventure game in which players assume the role of a knight (Graham) as he navigates the kingdom of Daventry. As players explore the open world, they solve puzzles, interact with characters, and engage in various tasks. Some scenes allow players to aim a bow and arrow at goblins or a dragon; goblins are depicted throwing spears at the player's character. Puzzle fail-scenarios depict the player's character falling into chasms or a river, being crushed by a boulder, and getting struck on the head with a mace.
    Source: https://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsi...tificate=33972

Quote Originally Posted by Steam page
    King’s Quest is a collection of five different chapter releases, each focusing on an untold tale in Graham’s past. In each chapter, an aging King Graham reflects on his life of adventure with his granddaughter, Gwendolyn.

King's Quest brings adventure gaming into a new era while staying true to what made the original games beloved; the unforgettable storytelling, wit, puzzles, and of course plenty of ways to die!
    Select between the noble pillars of Bravery, Wisdom, and Compassion to see what rippling effects these choices will have on Graham’s journey as well as later chapters.
    Puzzles will offer multiple solutions, encouraging players to experiment with their inventory and environment.
    Befriend the most unexpected and peculiar of companions throughout Daventry!

Future chapters can be downloaded from in-game upon individual release throughout 2015 and 2016.
    Source: http://store.steampowered.com/app/345390/

Downloads-only for now, but hopefully this'll get a physical release at some point. As usual these days, the best bet for getting physical copies of PC games is... importing them from Europe!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I had heard this was coming. To be honest I have mixed feelings.

See part of the thing with all Sierra's adventure games was that Sierra as a whole had this special "family" feeling about it, especially because the games would cross-reference each other (like the one button you can press in Space Quest that causes you to crash into Daventry) and how the games in general all felt similar despite having their own stories, themes and worlds.

To put it in a comic book context, it would be like if Spider-Man, Iron-Man and Fantastic Four all wound up being owned by different companies. They may continue being good (or not-good) comics but they wouldn't be the same as they used to be.

I also want to know how much involvement Roberta Williams has with these new chapters. I'd hate to think of a KQ without her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Isn't that the truth about Europe, sucks doesn't it? I often have found over the years some of these games we don't get showing up as overstock new titles at Half Price Books of all places. I've seen things like various Sega titles such as Crazy Taxi with the PEGI rating on the front in a DVD sized box and stuff from various other makers too. Maybe I'll get lucky and see this in a year or less? I never was large into this as games like this tended to go over my head with their weird convoluted logic(or lack of) to trigger events, yet KQ5 I enjoyed a lot on PC CD and the NES and did finish (PC) the game once or twice. I'd be curious to see how this turns out but if it has a physical release without STEAM crippling it being attached, I see no reason to rush towards that as a choice.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The graphics style is kind of ugly. Not sure if I can get used to it.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I also want to know how much involvement Roberta Williams has with these new chapters. I'd hate to think of a KQ without her.
    I agree with Ed. Without Roberta it just wouldn't feel like KQ to me. Does anyone know if she had any input at all? In any event, I'll try to keep an open mind.
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 08-13-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I watched the Giant Bomb quicklook:

1. When you find an item it uses the jingle from the old KQ games
    2. Christopher Lloyd voices old King Graham (narrator)
    3. Shawn Wallace voices a character

I'm in, but will probably wait until all episodes are out and get the bundle.

Last edited by Gentlegamer; 08-13-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I watched the Giant Bomb quicklook:

1. When you find an item it uses the jingle from the old KQ games
    2. Christopher Lloyd voices old King Graham (narrator)
    3. Shawn Wallace voices a character

I'm in, but will probably wait until all episodes are out and get the bundle.

That is one long "quick look" but thanks for posting that. AT first I had zero interest in a reboot but... that actually looks good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    That is one long "quick look" but thanks for posting that. AT first I had zero interest in a reboot but... that actually looks good.
    Giant Bomb Quick Looks are previews where they play the first bit of a game, and range from 30 min to an hour or so.

I was skeptical too until I saw the quick look. As Brad says in the video, I was pleasantly surprised that it's an actual adventure game.