Thread: I just became the new World Champ at the Guardian Legend

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I just became the new World Champ at the Guardian Legend

After submitting the footage to Twin Galaxies, I now became the new Guardian Legend (one of the most underrated NES ever made) which beat a 10 year previous record. It's such a great game that I wish got more respect.

https://youtu.be/jQ7f3F2n-Vw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good for you, congratulations. I'm not sure how many you were fighting for this, but the game is semi-popular within NES circles so I'm certain it had to be tricky to get there if it held for that long without being broken.

Is that the only record for it? I thought it would be a score one, then saw you did it in record time.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 08-14-2015 at 10:44 AM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I dont see how your time is a record, there is a speedrun here that completes the game in 54:56, your run seems to have taken over an hour.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/GuardianLegend.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ouch, but perhaps that one you linked they didn't submit to twin galaxies? I mean still though, if what you linked there is legit by TG's rules, his time is roasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I dont see how your time is a record, there is a speedrun here that completes the game in 54:56, your run seems to have taken over an hour.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/GuardianLegend.html
    Yeah, I saw that too. I don't know why they didn't submit the run to TG though?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I think it's probably a combination of the fact that Twin Galaxies isn't exactly what it once was coupled with the fact that many very skilled players just don't care that much about records. Honestly, there are several games I've beaten speed runs or high scores in, but it seems like a hassle for the novelty of being the champ. The only games people seem to really care about are the classic arcade games like Donkey Kong, Missile Command, etc. I've put up Black Tiger and Time Soldiers scores that would destroy the records, but nobody really cares about those games, and I only know they'd be records because my brother looked them up.

By the way, though, years ago I really enjoyed your old Studs and Duds bits on your site. The whole "Copper Award of Dishonour" thing made me laugh. If you're having fun chasing records, more power to you. Have fun with it! (And I do mean that seriously and not sarcastically)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I think it's probably a combination of the fact that Twin Galaxies isn't exactly what it once was coupled with the fact that many very skilled players just don't care that much about records. Honestly, there are several games I've beaten speed runs or high scores in, but it seems like a hassle for the novelty of being the champ. The only games people seem to really care about are the classic arcade games like Donkey Kong, Missile Command, etc. I've put up Black Tiger and Time Soldiers scores that would destroy the records, but nobody really cares about those games, and I only know they'd be records because my brother looked them up.

By the way, though, years ago I really enjoyed your old Studs and Duds bits on your site. The whole "Copper Award of Dishonour" thing made me laugh. If you're having fun chasing records, more power to you. Have fun with it! (And I do mean that seriously and not sarcastically)
    Thanks, Twin Galaxies had a rough time over the past few years but being called the best by a group of official players is still pretty cool. It's not for everyone but beating that Guardian Legend previous record was a nice little challenge for me and a good excuse for me to play that awesome game again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

A legend is you!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Awesome run. I love this game and watching this run makes me want to play through it again.

I hated that eye boss, he's way tougher than the first one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wonderful, congrats guy! watching the video got me in the mood to play Guardian Legend again. The game was a lot of fun, an is probably the best hybrid game for the NES and one of the best Overall. I remember the last boss, the thing drove me crazy until I finally defeated him. The last fight is really tough.

I can't remember another game which combined so perfectly the shmup sequences with overworld exploration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Awesome run. I love this game and watching this run makes me want to play through it again.

I hated that eye boss, he's way tougher than the first one.
    I think you're talking about the red GrimGrim in Corridor 8? Yeah, the crappy thing about him is his health is huge so you're levels have to be very high before the fight.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    I think you're talking about the red GrimGrim in Corridor 8? Yeah, the crappy thing about him is his health is huge so you're levels have to be very high before the fight.
    Well he sucks also, but I meant the boss at 18:30 (blue Optomon according to Google). Out of the three Optomons, I always had the hardest time w/him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Well he sucks also, but I meant the boss at 18:30 (blue Optomon according to Google). Out of the three Optomons, I always had the hardest time w/him.
    Ohya, that one is just insane to fight so early in the game. I barely won during that fight during the run there.