Thread: unreleased n64 prototype frogger

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default unreleased n64 prototype frogger

For the people that are into prototypes. Here is some footage from frogger 2 that never got released on the n64.

Would you have bought this back in the day ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

At least for that stage it looks like a relatively well built game for milestone4. Tragic it both never made it out, and that dude is hoarding it instead of getting it out there for people to enjoy.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It does look to be a much further prototype than the version that is dumped. Too bad they're not sharing.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The good news is that we have two other console ports of the game on the PlayStation and Dreamcast, and -- though it's been a while -- at a glance the level shown here looks approximately the same as what was in the PlayStation port.

Frogger 2 is definitely a smoother experience than the first PlayStation game, which was playable and vaguely addictive but could be incredibly frustrating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Few people seemed to care about the versions that did become available on other consoles, it's not really a big loss that the prototype for this version isn't being dumped. I assume it's not an entirely new game that's somehow awesome.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    The good news is that we have two other console ports of the game on the PlayStation and Dreamcast, and -- though it's been a while -- at a glance the level shown here looks approximately the same as what was in the PlayStation port.

Frogger 2 is definitely a smoother experience than the first PlayStation game, which was playable and vaguely addictive but could be incredibly frustrating.
    Some more information :

As videogame consoles become more and more powerful, it's sometimes ironic that today's modern games still have a hard time competing with the classics of the 80s and early 90s in terms of sheer fun. Maybe that's why so many publishers across the games industry have taken it upon themselves to resurrect those lost, but hardly forgotten classics of our not too distant past. The latest "update" of sorts falls on Hasbro Interactive's Frogger license. If you've been following the history of everyone's favorite videogame amphibian, you're probably aware that it was dragged kicking and screaming into the realm of 3D last year with a Millennium Interactive creation for Sony's PlayStation. Though the game was bashed by critics, the polygonal title sold extremely well. Which brings us to the sequel.

The good news for Nintendo 64 owners is that game, simply dubbed Frogger 2, isn't just a port of last year's arguably poor PlayStation title. The title is being created from the ground-up by software house Interaction Studios, which you may remember is the same company behind last year's semi-sleeper Glover -- a smart, well-designed first effort from the UK-based Nintendo 64 newcomer. As such, Nintendo 64 owners can expect, at the very least, a significantly improved experience over the PlayStation incarnation of 1998, and at the very best, a fresh take on the license that lovingly transports gamers back to the roots of the series.

Features
    •3D polygonal engine designed from the ground up.
    •Six unique overworlds filled with danger.
    •Frogger-esque gameplay mechanics (described as "avoid-em-up action") in a 3D world.
    •Humorous enemy characters.
    •All new Frogger powers.
    •Interactive music.
    •Four-player multiplayer mode.
    •Contains original Frogger.

Frogger 2 for Nintendo 64 has been in development for a long while. Hasbro Interactive originally hinted of the game's existence last year when it was still in the preview stages of Glover. Exactly what direction Interactive Studios is taking the game in is still unknown, but it's a safe bet that we can expect big, second-generation-ish 3D worlds displaying significant visual improvements over the developer's first Nintendo 64 offering.

Outlook:
    The Frogger license alone is almost a guarantee that Frogger 2 for Nintendo 64 will be a success. What remains to be seen is whether or not it will actually be any good. Given UK development house Interactive Studios' previous effort for the console, though, IGN64 is confident that this sequel will easily outperform the original. Glover featured clever gameplay mechanics that were a lot of fun, even if the game's graphics engine wasn't mind-blowing. Frogger represents the company's second-generation of N64 products and it's likely to deliver on all levels.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Yeah, I thought so -- that's why I gave myself an out by specifying console ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3 hoff View Post
    The good news for Nintendo 64 owners is that game, simply dubbed Frogger 2, isn't just a port of last year's arguably poor PlayStation title. [...] As such, Nintendo 64 owners can expect, at the very least, a significantly improved experience over the PlayStation incarnation of 1998
    Your source on that is IGN, I presume? They're referring to Frogger 1 there ("arguably poor PlayStation title...of 1998"), which came out toward the end of 1997.

The article makes it sound like Frogger 2 was mainly conceived for the N64, but that'd be surprising if so -- the property seemed destined for multiplatform releases from the start.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    At least for that stage it looks like a relatively well built game for milestone4. Tragic it both never made it out, and that dude is hoarding it instead of getting it out there for people to enjoy.
    Frogger 2 (USA) (Rev A) (Proto) is listed in No-Intro's dat files, so it's definitely avaiable in the wild. Not sure if this particular cart is dumped, but a Frogger 2 N64 proto is definitely dumped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My understanding was there was a Frogger 2 proto out there, but that it was quite incomplete. This one looks quite functional. It's not even a Nintendo thing with me, it's more of if it's out there it should be preserved publicly so it's not lost type of thing, like a digital museum. There's this one jerk in Japan I'm aware of others are too who specifically will buy up famicom and other Japanese prototype games to lock them in his home in a safe and publicly has said as much he does it so people can't have it and it doesn't get distributed around. I prefer not to see more dicks like that out there as it does no good and people like that will just let stuff rot until it dies if they don't first.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    My understanding was there was a Frogger 2 proto out there, but that it was quite incomplete. This one looks quite functional. It's not even a Nintendo thing with me, it's more of if it's out there it should be preserved publicly so it's not lost type of thing, like a digital museum. There's this one jerk in Japan I'm aware of others are too who specifically will buy up famicom and other Japanese prototype games to lock them in his home in a safe and publicly has said as much he does it so people can't have it and it doesn't get distributed around. I prefer not to see more dicks like that out there as it does no good and people like that will just let stuff rot until it dies if they don't first.
    This is going to be sold and probably dumped Tanooki. How much will this be sold for ?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yes, the existing dumped prototype is clearly a much earlier version of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I imagine it will be sold for as much as someone would be willing to pay for it.