Thread: Life of Pixel - Sweet Retro Goodness

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Life of Pixel - Sweet Retro Goodness

This seems pretty awesome. Check it out.

Game Features
    ~Explore ten classic 8-bit gaming machines – Apple II, Atari 2600, Amstrad CPC, BBC Micro, Commodore 64, Nintendo GameBoy, NES, Sega Master System, ZX81 and ZX Spectrum!
    ~Explore 16-bit consoles including SNES and Mega Drive!
    ~13 consoles and computers in all! What's the 13th? I don't know! I was copying this info from the dev's Web pages!
    ~80 levels of platforming goodness with authentic pixel graphics based on each machine’s graphical limitations
    ~An epic original chip-tune soundtrack created using the original sound chips for each machine
    ~Dozens of special secrets to uncover and experience. From silly little touches through to great big mega-epic secrets… Look out for jetpacks, bubbles to fly, trampolines, hidden rooms and areas, secret tunnels and even a Sinclair C5!

Platforms: Linux, Mac, Windows, PS Vita, Wii U (probably more in the future)
    Price: $7

Official game site: http://www.lifeofpixel.co.uk/
    Developer's site: http://www.supericon.co.uk/
    Humble Bundle (DRM-free & includes a Steam key): https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p...xel_storefront
    Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/327260/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	life_of_pixel-ss_4d8b02d3e3f346a5267d905d22b17287c29ba9b9.600x338.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	8264
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	life_of_pixel-Title2.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	8265

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Life of Pixel is currently discounted to $1.74 on Steam as part of its Black Friday sales. I've been playing it (about 17% complete as of this writing), and it's pretty good! I've already gotten past all of the ZX81 and Atari 2600 stages. The Game Boy and NES still await!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

When will the Vita version be out? Will this be coming to PS4 as well? I see WiiU, so I don't see any reason why not?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I read they're refusing to put their game on GoG, or the GoG people are blowing smoke which is unfortunate. Problem is it's hard to know who is being honest because I know GoG will randomly deny developers having their stuff on there which seems against their own public face on things.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    When Vita/PS4?
    The Vita/PSTV version used to exist, but when Sony killed off "PlayStation Mobile" (which Life of Pixel was written for), so too did that kill the only way to get Life of Pixel on Vita. I don't believe there is going to be a PS4 version, especially after Sony burnt the bridge that the game was originally built upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I read they're refusing to put their game on GoG, or the GoG people are blowing smoke which is unfortunate.
    If your concern is DRM, then don't worry. The game is DRM-free even through Steam, and if you want to completely avoid Steam anyway, you can still buy Life of Pixel through Humble Bundle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Isn't the humble version tied to steam? Or did they make a stand alone purchase you can buy because I did see a link on their own site about it.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

From what I understand, the game is DRM-free through Steam and DRM-free through Humble Bundle. Buying through the one store doesn't require usage of the other, but the option to get an additional copy from Steam is there if you buy through Humble Bundle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I've been playing this, and it's really fun. I'm not sure about the claim that the soundtrack is from each actual system. It doesn't sound that way at all to me. Also, it's very Eurocentric in the systems it portrays. Still, I'd highly recommend it.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I've been playing this, and it's really fun. I'm not sure about the claim that the soundtrack is from each actual system. It doesn't sound that way at all to me. Also, it's very Eurocentric in the systems it portrays. Still, I'd highly recommend it.
    Yeah, it's pretty good. I stopped playing at the level which introduces the jet pack. I might pick it up again at some point.

As far as the soundtrack goes, yeah, you're right. I just presumed that the tracks would be, you know, made with the sound chips from each console per console. After all, what's the point of imitating the palettes, sound effects, and resolutions of the systems, but not the limitations of the music? But that's what happened - they're chiptunes, but not with per system sound chips for them.