Thread: Were Tetris (GB) and Super Mario Land Ever Available in the US Under V1.0?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Were Tetris (GB) and Super Mario Land Ever Available in the US Under V1.0?

Were these two Game Boy launch titles, Tetris and Super Mario Land, ever available in the U.S. with the V1.0 ROM?

They are distinguished from the common versions by different music tracks: Tetris V1.0's "A Type" level song is "Minuet," whereas the same slot in the common (V1.1) version is "Korobeiniki."

Super Mario Land's death and goal tunes had no percussion track on the early copies (V1.0), but did on the common (V1.1) ones.

For all those of you who bought a GB brand new in August 1989, please put your thinking caps on.

~Ben

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Super Mario Land's death and goal tunes had no percussion track on the early copies (V1.0), but did on the common (V1.1) ones.
    It also had other quarks like moving platforms hidden under floor blocks, enemies that are put in areas where you'll never see them or be able to go and other crap that was dummied out in 1.1.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    It also had other quarks like moving platforms hidden under floor blocks, enemies that are put in areas where you'll never see them or be able to go and other crap that was dummied out in 1.1.
    There are more details to help confirm the early release versions: for Tetris, the hard stamped number (it's faint, but it's there) on the front label should not have an "A" after it. The faint-looking number on the label should be something like 05, 22, or 23.

~Ben

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had mine bought when it first came out, stored away and got it for Christmas that year. My Tetris had the standard music-A, but I have seen a cart before with the other and it was a US game so I guess it would have been 1.0.

As far as Super Mario Land goes, that was the one game I got with it (and ruined their surprise accidentally opening it first.) Do you have an example of this percussion bit? As far as I recall when you'd die it just did few notes, same with that fanfare thing when you hit the gate up top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Might as well link to TCRF and be done with it, eh?
    https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Land
    https://tcrf.net/Tetris_%28Game_Boy%29

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    The aforementioned suggests that was not changed between revisions.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post

Huh. Maybe I should dig out my copy and see if I can find a few of those doomed baddies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post

According to the link, I have Mario 1.0 I just ran through 1-1 real fast and played that clip they had, then hit the gate...same sound, no fuzzy percussion beat to it and just the beepy tone.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I had mine bought when it first came out, stored away and got it for Christmas that year. My Tetris had the standard music-A, but I have seen a cart before with the other and it was a US game so I guess it would have been 1.0.

As far as Super Mario Land goes, that was the one game I got with it (and ruined their surprise accidentally opening it first.)
    Heh, same thing here. Opened up SML and was all, hmm wonder what else I might have under the tree... heh. 1989, what a Christmas.

As for the games, my Tetris is definitely 1.1.

SML, honestly playing the clips at tcrf neither version sounds quite right compared with what's coming out of my GBASP speaker (and I'm not playing it far enough to look for a suicidal bomb turtle). But there is a very VERY faint 22A marking on the label, so it must be the A or 1.1 revision. Seriously the stamped numbers on my Tetris (05A) are a lot clearer than on SML. At first I couldn't even tell SML had a number at all, which was freaking me out a little.