Thread: NES video sometimes goes warbly, cuts out

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES video sometimes goes warbly, cuts out

I've had this Ebay NES since about 2002. Has after-market 72-pin connector and holder tray. About a year ago I had to disable the lockout chip.
    I've had a Toshiba CRT for about 2 years, ca. 2005, I think. RCA connection.
    Occasionally the NES picture will stutter, colors will go wonky, and then it cuts out altogether. Once I reset, it's fine. Doesn't do this all the time. At first I thought it was the TV but I'm pretty sure it's the NES.

I've read around here and elsewhere something about capacitors? Is this a common problem? Will this NES eventually give up the ghost??
    Last edited by Eternal Champion; 09-03-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Given enough time everything electronic will give up the ghost with out replacing some components. That being said the caps on a nes avoided the capacitor plague (that came after) but they are in their twilight years.

They generally aren't a cause of concern as of yet but will become more of a problem here soon.

That being said there are a few instances of them going bad, from my experience the big one will go bad and cause odd problems.

If you were to take a stab at it it wouldn't hurt to start with that.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Given enough time everything electronic will give up the ghost with out replacing some components. That being said the caps on a nes avoided the capacitor plague (that came after) but they are in their twilight years.

They generally aren't a cause of concern as of yet but will become more of a problem here soon.

That being said there are a few instances of them going bad, from my experience the big one will go bad and cause odd problems.

If you were to take a stab at it it wouldn't hurt to start with that.
    I have no skills and knowledge there, sadly. Maybe I'll look into someone doing the work, I don't know, depends on feasibility and price. Can you recommend anyone?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

not really, in all honesty its a good thing to know if your going to try to keep these systems around.
    it'd probably cost more to have some one repair it than it would be to buy another one
    plus if you screw it up NESs are pretty easy to come by