Thread: Satoshi_Matrix's Videos (was "Hyperdimension Neptunia")

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Default Satoshi_Matrix's Videos (was "Hyperdimension Neptunia")

I ran a search but couldn't find a thread for it, so here's one.

Hyperdimenion Neptunia - that self aware parody series of RPGs tha has exploded on the Vita recently.

One of the only moe games around where the whole point of it does not begin and stop with the concept of cute girls doing cute things. Despite what you might initially think, this isn't a game for girls - it's a game for gamers and anime fans. It's chock full of jokes and references to just about everything significant in the game industry since the early 80s and it's something where quality is not lost in translation. Idea Factory and Compile Heart deliver some of the best localizations ever with this series.

For anyone wanting to learn more, I created a video review of Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 for PS Vita and Steam - the best jumping off point to get into the series at large, since it's an extensive remake of the first game that had a cool idea, but terrible execution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3szGVwcP2t0

I love this series. Any series that bases its main character on the cancelled Sega Neptune is a-okay with me.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Some of the dialogue is good, which usually happens to be what they chose to voice act, the rest of the games are trash.

IF(or Iffy,) despite my not liking the company itself, is my favorite character due to her dialogue. She's actually my current PSN avatar. Yeah. Some of the worst JRPGs I've ever played and I like one of the characters so much I purchase an avatar of her.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Some of the dialogue is good, which usually happens to be what they chose to voice act, the rest of the games are trash.

IF(or Iffy,) despite my not liking the company itself, is my favorite character due to her dialogue. She's actually my current PSN avatar. Yeah. Some of the worst JRPGs I've ever played and I like one of the characters so much I purchase an avatar of her.
    I only agree so far as to the very first Hyperdimenion Neptunia is concerned. That game was terribly executed and as you say, "trash". The others in the series aren't. MKII was a massive step forward and Victory was about as good of a game as the genre can possibly allow for. All three Re;Birth games on Vita reexamine the PS3 works and add slight tweaks to make them better for portable play, and the spinoff games target more niche genres than the mainline RPGs. Producing Perfection was a game that I don't think the vast majority of western review outlets were at all qualified to review. If you read them, it's clear those people have no experience with idol management games, and when you add the moe and the Hyperdimenion Neptunia specific jokes, it was just something reviewers didn't get. PP is the weakest of the modern games, but it's still not "trash". Neither are the SRPG and the Dynasty Warriors-esque action game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just looked this up on the wikipedia. I take it the 3 rebirth games which also got PC ports all handle this better combat engine. I had a vague interest in this way back on PS3 but saw the battle engine looked more like a somewhat active Tactical RPG type style and very clunky so I just ignored it. This rebirth style seems almost more in a way like the live open area combat like the tales of... games are known for seeing a clip of it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I only agree so far as to the very first Hyperdimenion Neptunia is concerned. That game was terribly executed and as you say, "trash". The others in the series aren't. MKII was a massive step forward and Victory was about as good of a game as the genre can possibly allow for. All three Re;Birth games on Vita reexamine the PS3 works and add slight tweaks to make them better for portable play, and the spinoff games target more niche genres than the mainline RPGs. Producing Perfection was a game that I don't think the vast majority of western review outlets were at all qualified to review. If you read them, it's clear those people have no experience with idol management games, and when you add the moe and the Hyperdimenion Neptunia specific jokes, it was just something reviewers didn't get. PP is the weakest of the modern games, but it's still not "trash". Neither are the SRPG and the Dynasty Warriors-esque action game.
    I've only played Mk2. I know the combat system is different than the first game and that the Rebirth games all use the combat system pulled from Mk2. The combat isn't horrible, but the game acts like you're doing some advanced sort of gameplay when they just shoehorn you into repeating the same stuff over and over. Basically, use a break combo, then use an attack combo, maybe use some skills in between, repeat, over and over. During any normal battle, it was wait the first turn so and so far away so the enemies move towards you, then move towards them so all three of your characters can strike first. It's a TRPG type combat system that uses the Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter/Arc the Lad Twilight of Spirits style of combat. The combat was the best part of the gameplay but when everything else was so much worse, an okay combat system can't salvage everything else.

One good aspect of RPGs is exploration. All of the dungeons in the Neptunia games are small dungeons where exploration is practically non existant. It takes two seconds to move from one end of any dungeon to the other end. The dungeons aren't exactly identical, but they may as well be the same exact thing with a different background because that's exactly what they feel like. The quest system isn't much of a quest system as instead of being unique, they're all kill these types of enemies or gather these types of items, and then they'll just start repeating themselves.

Compare the dungeons to something like Wild ARMs or Lufia 2 which the exploration in dungeons is puzzle like, similar to Zelda, giving some thought to the dungeons as well exploration, so there's a bit more depth than your average JRPG, and the dungeons to the Neptunia games are just a complete joke. Compare them to any other RPG that still uses the premise of exploration as one of its concepts, and the Neptunia games dungeons are... well... still a joke and don't add a thing to the game.

Sorry, but unless your gameplay is going to blow my mind, then you're going to have to give me something than a mildly entertaining story at points, because despite the idea that RPGs are played for their story, they're played for a combination of things. If it was story only then I wouldn't play an RPG because I can go to any other story telling medium and get far better storylines with stuff that is considered sub par in that medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I just looked this up on the wikipedia. I take it the 3 rebirth games which also got PC ports all handle this better combat engine. I had a vague interest in this way back on PS3 but saw the battle engine looked more like a somewhat active Tactical RPG type style and very clunky so I just ignored it. This rebirth style seems almost more in a way like the live open area combat like the tales of... games are known for seeing a clip of it.
    It's nothing like Tales of. The combat is like Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter or Arc the Lad Twilight of Spirits.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

You must've looked up the first Neptunia. The Re;Birth battle engines are evolutions of the one first seen in MkII on PS3, which later got refined in Victory, and then got slightly more refined for the Re;Birth games. The first battle engine in MkII is a little clunky compared to the others, but it's still a hell of a lot better than what the original had, which was VERY clunky.

The battle system since MkII might appear to be active Tactical like the Tales games, but it's turn based. You are free to move anywhere without restrictions until you choose to either attack, defend, use an item, etc. It's only vaguely like the Tales games.

I've only played Mk2. I know the combat system is different than the first game and that the Rebirth games all use the combat system pulled from Mk2.
    Ah. Well, MkII was the birth of this battle system. Victory greatly expanded it, and the Re;Birth series and then Victory II refine it further. What you say basically applies, but it has seen further improvements since what you know.

One good aspect of RPGs is exploration. All of the dungeons in the Neptunia games are small dungeons where exploration is practically non existant. It takes two seconds to move from one end of any dungeon to the other end. The dungeons aren't exactly identical, but they may as well be the same exact thing with a different background because that's exactly what they feel like. The quest system isn't much of a quest system as instead of being unique, they're all kill these types of enemies or gather these types of items, and then they'll just start repeating themselves.
    This is a fair statement, but that's because the dungeons are a means to progress the story. The Neptunia series is primarily a Visual Novel with RPG elements. I dunno how much of MkII you played, but there are longer dungeons later on. But they never approch dungeons of the lengths seen in most Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Tales games. If they made the dungeons too large, it would be too much of a departure from the visual novel elements which is why the dungeons are more compact than other RPGs. They're not "2 seconds long", but you generally can explore an entire dungeon within a matter of minutes. The quest system is there to give meaning to the enemies and the drops, and give added incentive to grind. That's the purpose and it does it well.

Compare the dungeons to something like Wild ARMs or Lufia 2 which the exploration in dungeons is puzzle like, similar to Zelda, giving some thought to the dungeons as well exploration, so there's a bit more depth than your average JRPG, and the dungeons to the Neptunia games are just a complete joke. Compare them to any other RPG that still uses the premise of exploration as one of its concepts, and the Neptunia games dungeons are... well... still a joke and don't add a thing to the game.
    That's because that's not what the Neptunia games are intended to be. They're visual novels with RPG elements. Like, 60/40.The RPG elements could be expanded, but that's not the aim of the games and that would in fact ruin the appeal if they became just standard RPGs. Idea Factory has other games like that. that's why nobody cares. The Hyperdimenion Neptunia series is unique in that it exists as both commentary and example of how RPGs can be different.

Sorry, but unless your gameplay is going to blow my mind, then you're going to have to give me something than a mildly entertaining story at points, because despite the idea that RPGs are played for their story, they're played for a combination of things. If it was story only then I wouldn't play an RPG because I can go to any other story telling medium and get far better storylines with stuff that is considered sub par in that medium.
    I understand what you're saying but it completely misses the point. Like ALL visual novels, gameplay takes a backseat to the story and characters. The Neptunia series isn't about gameplay to blow your mind. It never will be. The whole concept is the self aware parody elements that tie it together. The RPG system in place is a lite RPG that can't compete against those traditional hardcore JRPGs you mentioned because that's just not the aim. It's obvious this kind of game is not for you and that's fine, but your assessment that this series isn't good because they don't do what you want them to is bogus.

I don't enjoy the Hyperdimenion Neptunia series because I want a deep RPG. I play them because I want to immerse myself in the characters and the situations they find themselves in. The RPG portions simply are the engine that allows that to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I won't lie, you have fascinated me more. The fact the dungeons are small and not overly crawly or loaded with runs off to annoying dead ends (ie: small) is a big plus for me in a console RPG due to the lack of hours I can play around on my tv since it's shared w/my kid when she's awake. I like light exploration, but once it crosses into something more 16/earlier 32bit final fantasy in style or dragn quest where you can go off on tangents and then have to go in and backtrack out with annoying fight after fight to find like one lame chest I'm unamused...I will find a guide of some sort to avoid that crap. The game company/anime thing I can handle, sounds like it would be fairly amusing if at least unique, a retail fan fiction thrown up as an RPG. There being a quest system is neat, kind of like Phantasy Star Online where it's a short fairly linear walk to do thing to do or X enemies to kill is very nice. I'm not saying I don't like a full on RPG still as I'll mess with FF and DQ stuff still, would have with Tales of...had I not moved onto PS4 before I could get there, but having a departure of a shorter experience with less crawling but the aspects of an RPG still that I do like for the change.

This isn't on GOG is it? It's basically PS3 discs or digital rental/drm stuff on steam right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I won't lie, you have fascinated me more. The fact the dungeons are small and not overly crawly or loaded with runs off to annoying dead ends (ie: small) is a big plus for me in a console RPG due to the lack of hours I can play around on my tv since it's shared w/my kid when she's awake.
    This goes double for the benefit of the Vita as a portable system. Hyperdimenion Neptunia is best played in short bursts during a lunch break, on the john or before you go to sleep. The small dungeons and the fact that they all have a save point and the enemies can all be easily avoided if you so wish means what kupomogli sees as reasons to hate Hyperdimenion Neptunia are reasons you would love it.

I like light exploration, but once it crosses into something more 16/earlier 32bit final fantasy in style or dragn quest where you can go off on tangents and then have to go in and backtrack out with annoying fight after fight to find like one lame chest I'm unamused...I will find a guide of some sort to avoid that crap.
    Yeah. None of that here. You can grind of course, but dungeons typically only take a few minutes to clear, with a boss at the end in a very obvious set up.

The game company/anime thing I can handle, sounds like it would be fairly amusing if at least unique, a retail fan fiction thrown up as an RPG. There being a quest system is neat, kind of like Phantasy Star Online where it's a short fairly linear walk to do thing to do or X enemies to kill is very nice. I'm not saying I don't like a full on RPG still as I'll mess with FF and DQ stuff still, would have with Tales of...had I not moved onto PS4 before I could get there, but having a departure of a shorter experience with less crawling but the aspects of an RPG still that I do like for the change.
    I like real meaty RPGs, but I have a tendency to start them and never finish them because the scope of them is so great. By making it portable and making it segmented into small easily digestible parts, I've played through both Re;Make and Re;Make 2 twice each. And that's coming from someone who has NEVER replayed any RPG. Not even ones I like as much as Final Fantasy 6 or Tales of Symphonia.

This isn't on GOG is it? It's basically PS3 discs or digital rental/drm stuff on steam right?
    I have no idea. My recommendation would be to get the Vita version. This is best played on the portable. It's not PS TV compatible for some damn reason. The Steam version is a port.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice to see a Vita review. Solid. Although it looks like this is the type of game that would never see the light of day on my portable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Satoshi -- Good, good. Now, I don't have a Vita, and while I've seen them as low as $75 used locally, I just can't pop for it with basically nothing for games coming out on it anymore I want which is a shame. Sony sucks when it comes to handhelds unfortunately as they have no clue how to properly support them thinking the ego drive of the console will just make it move (hah.)

I too like the meaty RPG of the JRPG variety, but I can't finish them anymore if they breach over 30-40(total tops) hours max. I'll play day in and out, or every other day, but some point in there like 20 hours in I play far less frequently until I just forget or demotivate to a stop and not even for a lack of interest or care as I still do. Problem is when I come back again I forget whatever is going on, really don't care to restart, so I'm stuck. I haven't played 3DS Xenoblade in months, but a week ago or so I re-opened it for like an hour, thanks to the plotting of the events you can back-read and figure it out so I could go on, but again I haven't touched it since and I had fun. I just can't do long games anymore as I'm just too preoccupied or tired to bother.

The digestable parts, that's something that helps a LOT. The earliest example I can think of is Dragon Warrior IV on the NES. It's a 5 chapter game, though Ch1-4 eat up maybe 50% of the game if that. The First four (plus into prologue) take maybe a few hours each or so to do (5-10~? hours) and can stand on their own like mini-RPGs. That kept me motivated. Neptunia seems to do this as well with the mini dungeons, you get bites and an ongoing story that comes together, like DW/DQ4 did. I'll have to look into it I guess. It is definitely the anti-Xenoblade as that is most definitely not bite sized anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Satoshi -- Good, good. Now, I don't have a Vita, and while I've seen them as low as $75 used locally, I just can't pop for it with basically nothing for games coming out on it anymore I want which is a shame. Sony sucks when it comes to handhelds unfortunately as they have no clue how to properly support them thinking the ego drive of the console will just make it move (hah.)

That's a misconception. There's plenty of really awesome games for the Vita that make it completely worthwhile, especially for under $100 if you really can find it for so cheap.

Not even counting the meaty JRPGs and Visual Novels - the two genres the PS Vita has the most games for and excels at the most - the Vita offers

Retail:

Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend
    Dead or Alive 5 Plus
    DJMAX Technika Tune
    Dokuro
    Dragon's Crown
    Dynasty Warriors Next
    Gravity Rush
    Hatsune Miku Project Diva F series
    Hyperdimenion Neptunia ReBirth 2, 3
    Hyperdimenion Neptunia U Action unleashed
    Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
    Killzone: Mercenary
    Lumines: Electronic Symphony
    Muramasa Rebirth
    Need for Speed Most Wanted
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
    Rayman Origins
    Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja/Revenge of Zen
    Sly Cooper 4
    Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed
    Touch my Katamari
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    Wipeout 2048

Digital:

Duke Nukem 3D
    Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable
    Firefly Diary
    Guacamelee
    Hotline Miami
    Jet Set Radio
    Nihilumbra
    Oddworld Stranger's Wrath HD
    Pix the Cat
    Proteus
    Retro City Rampage
    Sine Mora
    Shovel Knight
    Sound Shapes
    Spelunky
    Steamworld Dig
    Super Stardust Delta
    Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

Plus a massive list of PS1, PSP, and PS Mobile games.

Nothing against the 3DS, but I would go as far as to say the Vita offers more worthwhile gaming experiences than the 3DS does. It's also a misconception that the Vita is "dead" or anything like that. Most games are sort of niche in the west and get very little retail coverage and nobody much talks about the PSN releases. There's simply more awareness of what's happening on the 3DS unless you follow sites, blogs, twitter and tumblr feeds of people who specifically cover Vita. Then you'll realize there's exciting stuff happening on Vita almost every week.

If for nothing else, the Vita is a wonderful system for the Hyperdimenion Neptunia games and just a small fraction of what else I mentioned. The Vita is a gamer's system with games that are made for the hardcore and with surprising regularity these days, the Japanese gamer. As such, you tend to see a whole lot of anime or manga inspired games where most game systems these days tend to be western dominated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There's no misconception looking forward. I didn't say it didn't have an already good library of what is out there. My problem is the, when that's picked over to my tastes, then what question. Remember I had one.

And yes up on the Louisville Craigslist at least 2 have been posted in the last few days for price OBO and one of them was $75 the other was I think 90 or 100. They've got the system and the original accessories, but appears to be no papers or box with it. So it's not hard at least around here to get one for under $100.

Offhand using your list plus what I did own -- Uncharted, Hot Shots, Lumines, Katamari, Dragon's Crown, Gravity Rush, I guess the Neptunia games, and Muramasa from retail. I don't buy digital games unless they're like $5~ on a closed system like this so that's basically all out.

I don't think the vita was region locked either. I'm skimming the wikipedia, perhaps stuff like this would be interesting -- Akiba's Trip, Dragons Quest Heroes 2 if it comes out next year, FFX-X2 HD, God of War Collection, maybe the Hatsune Miku games, MGS Hd (maybe), Odin Sphere (2016 if we get it), Rayman Origins, Umihara Kawase Plus, Senran Kagura, Tales of Hearts R, Tearaway, Ys Memories of Celceta and I think that's about it.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I don't have a Vita, but I own the original version of the game so it's nice to see the differences in the remake. I'll admit the original lost me early on, like you mentioned in the review the battles were pretty boring although the concept of an industry parody RPG piqued my curiosity.