Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unreleased N64 title Viewpoint 2064.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bobo Mcloud's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Unreleased N64 title Viewpoint 2064.

This promising title in the string of hit series Viewpoint, this n64 title was mysteriously cancelled even though the game was supposedly completed with release date and price set.
    So incomes the worst labled eBay item that next to no one would have taken notice if it wasn't for a keen eyed member of NA.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-64-...150?nav=SEARCH

Sold at a record for a unreleased 64 title on a public sale the thought of playing this after 16 years of obscurity is absolutely mouthwatering!

I'm really surprised that on the other forum's no one is really caring about this but I'm just excited even only to see some more footage than the 29 seconds on YouTube.
    Anyone else feeling love towards viewpoint 2064?
    Last edited by Bobo Mcloud; 09-12-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    Will pay big $$$ for N64 prototypes

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I care, but this is the first I've heard of it. Not everybody here is on Nintendo Age.

Anyway, that's very cool. The original Viewpoint is a solid game, if balls hard, and the N64 could certainly use more shmups considering the only options are basically Star Soldier and Dezaemon 3D (and the latter is a shooter maker, so it doesn't fully count). Would definitely be nice if it got dumped and publicly released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I care, but this is the first I've heard of it. Not everybody here is on Nintendo Age.
    Sorry you misunderstood me, I mean no one over there is really responding to it, I'll have to make a mental note not to mention Nintendo age here, touchy subject.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't think anybody will care if you mention Nintendo Age in passing, though, yeah, it does appear some people around here have a problem with that community. I don't care either way myself since I'm interested in games on systems from all sorts of different manufacturers, so I have never had a desire to register over there or on most other sites with a narrow focus. From what I understand, isn't the NA community mostly focused on NES? And SNES to a lesser extent? So I'm not surprised if they're not that interested in N64 news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is very interesting, but who developed it? I'm a little wary about next-gen polygonal sequels to isometric shooters, after Zaxxon 32X.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Iam pretty interested, like shooters and n64 is thin on that. Ive replayed the hell out of star solider over the years. I just dont read NA and also as you said you hope it is released. I dont get hope over stuff like this because it may just vanish and that would be a let down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd like to play it.

I wish Test Drive Rally would surface someday.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    That is very interesting, but who developed it? I'm a little wary about next-gen polygonal sequels to isometric shooters, after Zaxxon 32X.
    Looks like Sammy. The first Viewpoint was developed by Aicom, a subsidiary of Sammy that was dissolved into Sammy as a whole in '92, so it could've very well been made by the same people if they were still around in the company six years later.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Looks like a great game, going by 9 year old youtube demo footage.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was able to get some footage from the owner, the game looks great! Such a shame it was never released, I don't know if there is any plans to release the Rom but this is a great start!

https://youtu.be/Y4iSAcgz7tM...

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Looks pretty neat. Probably wouldn't have sold at the time, but I'dve bought it. N64 could have used a few more games witg an arcade bent instead of mostly racing games, sports games, 3D platformers, and FPS'. This would have at least been a little more in that gap.

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah this looks pretty cool, N64 def could've used more titles like this!!
    I am diggin' that crazy spider boss (from above-linked vid)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The indoor corridor at the start seems dreadfully dull, unlike the first Viewpoint, but once the stage went into the tunnel and out into space it started to look really cool. It's too bad this was unreleased.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From other screenshots the levels get quite creative later on in the game, from what I've translated from some old Japanese magazine articles the whole theme of the enemies are mechanical insects, I'd love to see what other cool bosses there is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow that's fun looking. Not as detailed as Star Soldier, but very nice still. I'd buy this if someone could make n64 bootleg carts of that thing, but I know that tech isn't still quite there sadly. N64 needed games like this especially in 1999 when it was starting to come off it's nearly 2 year dry spell due to shenanigans. I would have went out and picked that up the day it came out. It's a nice mix if like Star Soldier and Afterburner, or I guess being somewhat ground based too a little like Sin & Punishment (I'd take that too.) :P

I just learned last night being curious if my TV I got a year and a half ago can actually handle my N64 and I do mean totally, no lighting/shadow (total darkness) issues nor does it get all extra blotchy/muddy on Hudson games and a few others as the AA is working right. Most TVs of the LCD style will mud up seriously, blur out on 2D junk, and shadows go dark among other annoyances. I found I could play Doom 64 with no problem, Mario was solid and sharp, and Mega Man 64 was a treasure too. I went and snapped up Blast Corps and Bomberman Hero a couple hours ago and they are not suffering either. I haven't had my original system plugged in for like 2 years+ other than when it was on the old Sharp NES TV. I forgot how fun some N64 titles are and looking at prices online other than hipster upcharge on select few it's still oddly dirt cheap.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

looks awesome they probably didn't release it cus too late in n64s life.. if they had finished this game in 97 or maybe 98 would have been good enough to release. People were losing interest in N64 by 1999 and focusing on Dreamcast and already PS2.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I agree that the n64 could have definitely used more arcade-style games, and this is definitely interesting, but it's a rail shooter, and appears to have very little to do with the original game. This may have been something else at one time and the viewpoint license got slapped on it at the last minute.

And the original game is much prettier to look at than that. Something 2.5D like einhander would have been better. Just my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think most people really would have cared much if an old 2D version looked nicer, especially since the predecessor was a Genesis game and this is N64.

I also don't think being 1999 would have a good year to bail on it looking at the US releases that year. I'd almost wonder if they were more intimidated depending when it could have come out. Bomberman 64 2nd attack, Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, C&C, DK64, Duke Nukem, Harvest Moon 64, Hybrid Heaven, Magical Tetris, Mario Golf, Mario Party 2, Ogre Battle, Pokemon SNap, Pokemon Stadium, Quake 2, Rayman 2, Revolt, Resident Evil 2, Shadowman, Star Wars Ep1 Racer, Super Smash Bros, Top Gear Rally 2, Winback, and World Driver Championship are just some of the more notable titles of that year. N64 was fresh off being screwed in 1997 and through 98 and getting games again. 2000 had almost as healthy of a year with many big hitter franchise titles as well. I just don't think N64 looking dead would have been a good excuse as it really didn't dry out until very late in 2000 and fell off a cliff after Christmas.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I don't think most people really would have cared much if an old 2D version looked nicer, especially since the predecessor was a Genesis game and this is N64.
    Not to be one of those know-it-alls, but Viewpoint was originally a Neo Geo game, and one of the best-looking on the system that isn't a fighting game. And I wasn't referring to what would have made the game a success. I just think it would have aged better if it was a 2D shmup.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I was playing it on my MVS cabinet earlier this week. I didn't say anything about it being better had it been in 2D because, well, I think most things are better in 2D, so I'm a bit biased. The Neo game most certainly would have aged better,but I'dve still given this a whirl just to get some life out of the system.