Thread: Secret of Mana's predecessor, Mystic Quest, is getting another remake [Eurogamer.net]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Secret of Mana's predecessor, Mystic Quest, is getting another remake [Eurogamer.net]

The first game in the Secret of Mana series is getting remade, again.
    First released in 1991 on Gameboy in Japan as Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden, the title later came to Europe as Mystic Quest and North America as Final Fantasy Adventure.
    It then saw a 2003 remake on GBA called Sword of Mana. This version eschewed all traces of the series' tenuous connection to Final Fantasy as the Mana series had become its own marketable thing by this point.
    Read more…
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

And the sickening part of this is we will likely never see it, and they're teasing bringing SD3 back if it does well which we got burned on too in the 90s. I'd buy both and I still own the original on Gameboy CIB too.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

What a confusing title. "Mystic Quest is the predecessor to Secret of Mana?" But then I find out it means a European release of Seiken Densetsu, not the other Mystic Quest.

Am I the only one who prefers the GB original over Sword of Mana? For whatever reason it just seemed more fun. Sword of Mana bored me. This despite it being visually similar to Secret of Mana which I love.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Actually I feel the same. I thought I said it here but it must have been elsewhere, or I thought I posted it and closed the box first. The GBA game is slower, PC with a boy/girl choice, too wordy, added complication and bloat to the map/world, and just kind of despite all the fluff feels bland. Somehow the more concise, basic look, clean design of the original just makes it more fun and approachable even if it looks and sounds worse due to tech limits.

I actually have Sword, manual and the nintendo guide for it. Not bad, just not as fun as the old due to bloat and junk.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Actually I feel the same. I thought I said it here but it must have been elsewhere, or I thought I posted it and closed the box first. The GBA game is slower, PC with a boy/girl choice, too wordy, added complication and bloat to the map/world, and just kind of despite all the fluff feels bland. Somehow the more concise, basic look, clean design of the original just makes it more fun and approachable even if it looks and sounds worse due to tech limits.

I actually have Sword, manual and the nintendo guide for it. Not bad, just not as fun as the old due to bloat and junk.
    Of all the things to complain about, you're complaining about the choice to play as a girl? WTF?