Thread: Is this a fake Wild Guns label?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is this a fake Wild Guns label?

Hey guys,

I made an offer on a copy of Wild Guns on eBay yesterday, which was accepted, and I promptly paid. However, later in the day when I was going back to look at the item and drool while I await its arrival, I noticed the label looked a little off in a way I've never actually seen before (and I've seen plenty of repros.) The label seems to have been cut off-center, such that the black space on the right is double-wide and the black space on the left is practically non-existent (notice the "Licensed" is right up to the edge.)

Now -- I can return this for a full refund if I get it and it's in any way a fake (I'll open it up and inspect the board, too, of course), but in the mean time, has anyone ever seen a legit label printed in such a way? I've got about 100 SNES games and none of them look like that, but I've never seen a repro label do that either; you usually see either very good fakes that try their best to blend in with the rest of your collection (I didn't even know my first copy of Chrono Trigger was a fake for years... luckily I found a legit one for $5 last year!!), or they've got very poorly cut corners, etc. This one seems like, just too obvious if they were trying to pass a repro or re-label as legit, but who knows. I'm really just trying to find out what everyone thinks of this until it arrives in a few days. The seller insists that it's 100% genuine, and none of his other listings seem suspect.

So yeah. Anyone got any games with labels printed this way? Please show me if you do!

Here's the game I bought (and please don't try to point out like captain obvious on NA that the box is not a real SNES box):

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A quick google search brings up multiple images of a Wild Gun carts with black space on the right. I suspect their official artwork simply wasn't wide enough to fit the usual space.

Edit: NM I see what you're saying now, a little of the Nintendo logo is cut off. It looks like it was cut off a little off center when being printed. I suspect this is a common production error.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 09-23-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    A quick google search brings up multiple images of a Wild Gun carts with black space on the right. I suspect their official artwork simply wasn't wide enough to fit the usual space.
    Actually, he sent me another picture of the cart (apparently this is as clear as he could get... hmmm), and the dimensions are off all around. I've asked him to refund and not bother sending.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

alright, got my refund, moving on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Label other than being offset to the left looks right.

Here's an example I backtracked from DP
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Guns...619-1.jpg.html

Mind you I don't like either picture enough from the seller of it since they're not clear, but it could be a bad label, or also a bad repro label that's not labeled cut horribly.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Just another reason why I hate repro labels. Just more confusion, is it or isn't it a fake.

Personally I do think that one is a fake just because of the offset issue, that and a fake box is being included with it. There isn't any wear to the label either so it's more likely that it's been replaced.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Just another reason why I hate repro labels. Just more confusion, is it or isn't it a fake.

Personally I do think that one is a fake just because of the offset issue, that and a fake box is being included with it. There isn't any wear to the label either so it's more likely that it's been replaced.
    thats exactly what I was thinking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I'm the opposite, if that is a fake it's a beauty and I just wish they'd have cut it center. We need a lot more 1:1 type work out there to deflate all the collector ego and allow those who want to fix up their messed up old games to be able to do so. But this thread isn't about that anyway. I think it's real, but the only way to know would be a really nice picture of it to be certain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Well I'm the opposite, if that is a fake it's a beauty and I just wish they'd have cut it center. We need a lot more 1:1 type work out there to deflate all the collector ego and allow those who want to fix up their messed up old games to be able to do so. But this thread isn't about that anyway. I think it's real, but the only way to know would be a really nice picture of it to be certain.
    It looks very fake, and its not a beauty.
    I dont think we need perfect repros of anything. It encourages fraud and many people just dont want to own reproductions of anything.
    People can do whatever they want to their own property, but I really think applying a new repro label would devalue a game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Guns-Sn...item419a05de9b

Looks like the seller bought and used one of these, and he failed to cut the label to the correct size. Then he went and put the game up for sale for 280$.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 09-24-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default according to a couple people at NA...

the label is legit, as this particular cart has passed a few hands already. Doesn't matter at this point: I've already received my refund and he won't be selling anything to me again, probably.

By the way, keep in mind he's accepting best offers if anyone actually wants it.

Also, let's not call that "a fake box," because it's in no way, shape or form pretending to be a real box. We all know plenty of people who use these universal game cases with custom printed covers as they're an attractive, economical way to display games on the shelf.

Aaanyway! Thanks, guys. Anyone selling a VGC copy of Wild Guns? I'll be ready to buy on the 1st.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    the label is legit, as this particular cart has passed a few hands already. Doesn't matter at this point: I've already received my refund and he won't be selling anything to me again, probably.

By the way, keep in mind he's accepting best offers if anyone actually wants it.

Also, let's not call that "a fake box," because it's in no way, shape or form pretending to be a real box. We all know plenty of people who use these universal game cases with custom printed covers as they're an attractive, economical way to display games on the shelf.

Aaanyway! Thanks, guys. Anyone selling a VGC copy of Wild Guns? I'll be ready to buy on the 1st.
    I highly doubt that the label is the original. The cart has passed through a few hands you say, I wonder why nobody wants it..
    What makes you believe it is authentic?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I highly doubt that the label is the original. The cart has passed through a few hands you say, I wonder why nobody wants it..
    What makes you believe it is authentic?
    I didn't say it was legit. I said according to people at NA, it's legit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    It looks very fake, and its not a beauty.
    I dont think we need perfect repros of anything. It encourages fraud and many people just dont want to own reproductions of anything.
    People can do whatever they want to their own property, but I really think applying a new repro label would devalue a game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Guns-Sn...item419a05de9b

Looks like the seller bought and used one of these, and he failed to cut the label to the correct size. Then he went and put the game up for sale for 280$.
    I personally can't tell from that image what's going on there, but I'm also on a laptop so I don't have it all blown up either to analyze it like I could in person. I think we need perfect repros of many things, including the boards and chips as it's about the games, not how much one dude can dick another's wallet due to a propped up hype machine. Yet I do agree, a new repro label should be priced accordingly and should be mentioned when sold as I've said before. If you do it, expose it and let the value fall where others feel it belongs. Hiding is just deceitful. If they did buy a fake and cut it badly, that's just damned lazy and for what they asked they should have got another and cut it right and noted it as such. In the end it's a sticker, the guts are what truly matters. If NA said it's real, it surely is as they're the #1 money machine forum out there snooping on everyones games to help maintain and puff up their value so they'd know. I mostly have a good feel seeing things, but without some huge images it's not hard to get tripped up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I think we need perfect repros of many things, including the boards and chips as it's about the games, not how much one dude can dick another's wallet due to a propped up hype machine.
    No we really dont need repros at all. If you just want to play the game it can be emulated free, played on a flash cart for free, and it was available on the virtual console. Dont need to pay 200$+ to play the game and you obviously dont need an exact reproduction of the original cart and label just to play a rom.
    From the collector's viewpoint, reproductions are without worth because they are not genuine and can be duplicate infinitly at little cost. An original copy of Wild Guns is a rare item and has worth. Reproductions of cart games are all obsolete because of the ease of use and relatively small cost of flash carts. Repros are without worth because they are not originals.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I mostly agree with bbhood on this one. I don't have a big problem with repros of unreleased games or translated imports, though it does make way more sense to use a flash cart... I do think people should buy the import original first, though, but that's just me. Either way, definitely against the use of repros to devalue existing games. Collectables just do tend to get more expensive in most hobbies, and it's not like this followed an artificial path in comprison to other hobbies. Some scalpers are dicks, some games are genuinely rare, and instead of wanting to burn the whole thing to the ground, it's best to just find your own comfort zone in the ecosystem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well my comfort was to basically stop buying 8/16bit Nintendo games a couple years ago unless a deal was stupid to avoid and went back to all things Gameboy since it's not a weasel magnet. I've also found comfort in instructing people how to print up quality labels that more or less will match the made in mexico/n64 and other later lower quality non-glossy type labels when people need help with such things. Not my place to play the you can't do that police so I won't.

It's buyer responsibility 100%, caveat emptor.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Well my comfort was to basically stop buying 8/16bit Nintendo games a couple years ago unless a deal was stupid to avoid and went back to all things Gameboy since it's not a weasel magnet. I've also found comfort in instructing people how to print up quality labels that more or less will match the made in mexico/n64 and other later lower quality non-glossy type labels when people need help with such things. Not my place to play the you can't do that police so I won't.

It's buyer responsibility 100%, caveat emptor.
    I have zero issue with people doing what they want to make their dingy labels look better for their own collections. I do think it should be noted during any sale, though, if anything is reproduction, just as any damage or defect would be noted. I remember awhile back you had a Mario Paint box to touch up. For your own use and collection, awesome. Enjoy it how you want, it's there for you to enjoy. If you were to sell that box, I'm sure you'd be ethical and describe any damaged areas. Same thing with labels. Pretty your games up. Just be honest if you decide to sell. I'm positive you would, and I don't mean that sarcastically. The repro stuff that bugs me is repro carts of games with official releases and translations, as that's just plain bootlegging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I would, not a hypocrite. :P And good memory you're right I did fix up all the whited out edges with a good black ink/paint pen and blended it so it looked good other than under close to face inspection. I think 1:1 is fine as long as people are just and explain any fixes done to the original material. I have a huge beef with fake looking labels or especially writing reproduction on them because people in general are dimwits and if they see the 'r' word on there I've seen that one misinterpreted as a bootleg game on the whole when it's just the sticker. Just disclose any changes or fixes is all that needs to be done.

I can see that with the expensive games thing. Personally I still wouldn't mind learning to use a kazoo writer and making a 1:1 looking (obviously not the board) Little Samson because I question the intelligence of anyone plopping $1000 down on a NES cart. Sure it legitimately is a late game with a smaller run, but most of that price is hype and bs, one of many victims of this decade. Of course if I ever just stopped caring I'd sell it, but it would be sold as what it is, a bootleg. What someone may do with it beyond that, I don't care, it's not my call or responsibility to police other peoples behavior and neither should it be anyone else (other than the cops.)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I would, not a hypocrite. :P And good memory you're right I did fix up all the whited out edges with a good black ink/paint pen and blended it so it looked good other than under close to face inspection. I think 1:1 is fine as long as people are just and explain any fixes done to the original material. I have a huge beef with fake looking labels or especially writing reproduction on them because people in general are dimwits and if they see the 'r' word on there I've seen that one misinterpreted as a bootleg game on the whole when it's just the sticker. Just disclose any changes or fixes is all that needs to be done.

I can see that with the expensive games thing. Personally I still wouldn't mind learning to use a kazoo writer and making a 1:1 looking (obviously not the board) Little Samson because I question the intelligence of anyone plopping $1000 down on a NES cart. Sure it legitimately is a late game with a smaller run, but most of that price is hype and bs, one of many victims of this decade. Of course if I ever just stopped caring I'd sell it, but it would be sold as what it is, a bootleg. What someone may do with it beyond that, I don't care, it's not my call or responsibility to police other peoples behavior and neither should it be anyone else (other than the cops.)
    Man, my question sparked quite the debate? How ya been, Tanooki? :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

This is just my 2 cents. The thing looks like a repro label. 1: For the simple fact I'm surprised that would have gotten past QC, & 2: The sheen on the label doesn't look right. Looks like it was printed on regular printer paper. But, that could be just from the bad pic quality. Which brings us to 3: He says he can't get a better pic than that? It's called macro.