Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man Legends Lives! (A North American PSN Re-release Finally Happened)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Mega Man Legends Lives! (A North American PSN Re-release Finally Happened)

They did it. They actually did it. After championing the cause for nearly half a decade, Brett Elston and team Capcom USA have made the impossible happen: Mega Man Legends is headed to PlayStation Network in North America.

Capcom has confirmed the original PlayStation classic will launch on the PlayStation Store next Tuesday, September 29th. The game will run for $9.99 - a little pricier than your typical PSOne Classic but far cheaper than the likes of eBay. It will be playable on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita ONLY. Due to "a variety of constraints" it will not play on PSP. Be advised!

This is a huge win for not only the Mega Man community but curious gamers looking to see what all the Legends fuss is about. Capcom USA has my heartfelt thanks for making it happen!

Now, I'm genuinely curious how they got around those gnarly legal hurdles. I wonder if Sony actually eased their master disc image policy and allowed Capcom to go in and remove infringing content. That *might* explain the additional six dollar charge.We'll find out next week!

Bring on 2!
    Source: http://www.rockman-corner.com/2015/0...-psn-next.html

Note: He writes, "the additional six dollar charge," but that's not right. PSN games are usually $6 ($5.99) and this is $10 ($9.99), making it an additional four dollar charge. Either way, though, this is good news even if there is a bit of a markup compared to regular PSN PSOne re-releases and even if it doesn't play on PSP.

But, for me, I won't be buying this re-release. I already have Mega Man Legends on PS1, N64, and Windows CD-ROM, and while I would have bought this a few years ago, it would have had to have been a physical release on PSP like what Japan got. Even if this were a digital-only release but it was for the regular $6 and compatible with PSP, I would have bought it. But at $10 and for consoles (the PS3 and PSV) which I don't have?* No, I'll pass - thank you.

*While I technically have a PS3, it is a "potentially problematic" console which is missing its A/V hookups and any controllers, so I don't count that one as I don't know how well it works nor do I have the missing components.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

An hdmi or regular PlayStation cable and a cheapo wired controller is all you'd need to test it.

Swap a cable from another system, buy a cheapo controller from Walmart, if it doesn't work return it (you have 15 days, keep receipt and box) and then you've only lost a little bit of time and no money

And yes i agree with your thinking. I have the psx version so why bother. I could even play it on my ps3 if i felt inclined

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Good for the people who haven't played it yet, but I have a physical copy, so I'll be sitting this one out.
    Although I am reminded that a digital release of The Misadventures of Tron Bonne happened a handful of months ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Very good, kind of like Nintendo with Earthbound at $10 instead of $8, you have a $10 instead of $6 PS1 game that a lot of people want and the price was ugly.

I did not know there was a PC version (not that I looked) as I have the N64 game still and enjoy it when I bother with it. I never did like the sequel as I had it on PSOne when I had that, but I bet that'll follow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I still have both mega man legend games for the PS1.Still it's great there heading to the psn.Now,any one that missed out on the games have a cheap way to play them.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been waiting for this to happen forever.

I sold my copy of Tron Bonne for a whopping $130 something dollars a few years ago, which I originally paid 6 for at an EB Games liquidation! And now, with that price, I can consider buying it again on PSN, although I finished it when I first owned it.

Now, I can understand the extra cost of MML (allegedly licensing costs because of contracts with other producers/developers), but I may still pick it up. My exposure to MML was with the N64 port which was absolutely horrid, difficult, muddy, and flat out inaudible. I still get nightmares thinking of that shitter. But to revisit it on PS1 is worth a try. Did they also release the sequel on PSN or just the first?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Funny I can't stand the PS1 game and enjoy the N64 version and all the improvements they made. Sure the speaking audio is tinny with compression but outside of that I'd take it over the PS CD anytime. Improved camera, control, wider areas were all welcome to me. I'd take the soft visuals over the hard jagged look of the PS game too.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The N64 version had crazy bad draw distances and tons of graphical pop in. Can't see how anyone enjoyed that version better.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Owning all three of the releases from back in the day, I must say that I find these claims puzzling. With the N64 game, the audio is more compressed than the PS1/PC version and you can definitely hear that with the audio being a little bit less discernible in Mega Man 64, yet it is still clear enough and with most speech also being "subtitled," what is being said is quite understandable; but all of these other claims about the differences between the PS1/PC version and the N64 which people have made over the years I find dubious. From my understanding, the changes are /very/ small between the two outside of the more compressed audio, and all versions play fine.

But let's hear from someone who took the time to compile all of the differences:

Section 3:
    4.Differences

From PS1 (Mega Man Legends) to N64 (Mega Man 64), here is a complete
    list of differences:

Audio:

1.Capcom has used voice compression technology in Mega Man 64. This
    reduces the quality of the voices so they take less space. All the voices
    remain intact and are understandable, however.

2.After the first cutscene with Tron and after collecting the red refractor, the
    music doesn't start up in the N64 version until you enter a different area.

3.The CD Samples (found in the CD shop in the Apple Market) have been
    removed in Mega Man 64.

4.The ending credits music has been removed, replaced with the KTOX
    TV Station music.

Graphics:

5.The draw-in distance is slightly weaker in the N64 version, resulting in a
    foggier distance (thus, not allowing you to see quite as much in the distance).
    There are a few exceptions, however. Many of the smaller places (such as
    the City Hall, KTOX TV Station, Apple Market, etc.) have the same draw-in
    distance as the PS1 version.

6.Capcom takes advantage of the N64's extra graphical beef by adding Anti-
    Aliasing to the graphics. This makes everything smooth, so the visuals are no
    longer pixellated and everything looks far less jagged. The game looks about
    30% more realistic than the PS1 version.

Controls:

7.You can use the Control Stick or Pad in Mega Man 64. The PS1 version is
    limited to the pad only (since the game was released before the Dual Shock
    controllers arrived).

Misc:

8.The 5 second Capcom FMV (full motion video) from the PS1 version that
    appears when you turn the game on has been removed. A full-color, high-res
    picture of the Capcom logo replaces that.

9.The name of the game has changed to "Mega Man 64".

10.The copyright info on the title screen has been updated to "© Capcom Co.,
    Ltd. 1997, 2000 All Rights Reserved"

11.The game says to "Press Start" instead of "Press Start Button" on the title
    screen (this is common in Nintendo versions of games....)

12.After crash landing on Kattlelox Island, find an old vehicle. Pressing the
    search button in the PS1 version (Circle) does nothing, but pressing the
    search button in the N64 version (C-Down) gives you two new bits of information
    about the vehicle.

13.You can use the Rumble Pak to feel Mega Man's pain. The PS1 version does
    not support rumble.

14.Battery-backed cartridge memory replaces Memory Cards.

15.The N64 version has 16 save files. The PS1 version has 5.

16.There is a glitch that occasionally happens in the N64 version while
    standing on cars, trucks, tanks, etc. (basically, any moving vehicle) that causes
    Mega Man to slowly slide to the right or left and fall off.

17.Credits for the N64 port team have been added to the credits in the N64
    version.

18.Since the N64 version is a cartridge, load times are not required. Since
    the PS1 version is a CD, it requires load times everytime a different area is
    entered.

19.In the Akbar Toys store in the Apple Market, search the game in there. A
    minor change has been made to the text that appears. It now says "So this
    is that new game called Mega Man 64...it looks pretty interesting!". Take a
    wild guess as to what it said in Mega Man Legends.

20.Orange houses have a "1963" poster in the N64 version. These houses have
    a "Peace" poster in the PS1 version.

21.Blue houses have a poster with a blown up pig in the N64 version. The blue
    houses have a poster with a miniature pig and the words "Don't kick us!" in the
    PS1 version.
    Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/913960-m...-64/faqs/33895

Thank you for the info, Mr. "Mega Man 5."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well that's a better detailed and more things list of what I kind of said. It just comes down in a way to taste if you get beyond the compressed audio. That differences list does lack the fact they changed the shape of the areas and made them a bit less confined on the N64 as I recall that being in an old NP magazine in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It also mentioned the bad draw distances that I was pointing out .Some of the time I might talk crap because it's Nintendo, but I'm not downing Mega Man 64 because it's Nintendo, it's because it's easily the worst of the two.

Just look. Skip to 2:15 PSX / 2:27 N64 for one comparison 5:38 PSX/ 5:38 for N64 comparison 2. 49:45 PSX/49:44 N64 for comparison 3. Despite what that quote states, apple market also takes a second to fully be visible as it has a slight white hue at the end that disappears after it's finished loading. Old City definitely looks the worst of them because not only is the draw distance worse than the other areas it seems, all the textures are just terrible. When the PSX version is available, I don't see how this game can be played.

N64 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZFjLFy8Wxc PSX https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbb__1MYC28

Resident Evil 2 on the other hand s a fine port. Sound quality isn't as good and it isn't quite as sharp, but it has better 3D character models is a plus and it's otherwise identical.

Nightmare Creatures on PSX looks sharper, but Ignacius having either no hit detection at all or horrible hit detection for some of better combo attacks makes the N64 version the best version to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't mind the draw distance with the trade off of the other perks but you are on the nose with RE2 and NC as ice tried both and on n64 they're more fun. I really need to hook it back up sometime. Away from the selective crazy price games it has potential. I just loathe using it on a job crt because of lighting issues notable on rogue squadron

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never played this so I'm definitely looking to see what the fuss is all about. I got The Misadventures of Tron Bonne and that is a pretty fun game. So many Playstation games that I overlooked. I gotta check which are some good cheap ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

How I'm looking at it since I love digital copies:

WTS Mega Man Legends Complete PS1 - $50.

Goes to buy MML on PSN for $10.

~$35 left over for other stuff. Makes sense to me.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

What's this "infringing content" referred to in the original article? Better yet, does their claim of this not running on PSP hold water (IE will it work on a modded PSP)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    What's this "infringing content" referred to in the original article? Better yet, does their claim of this not running on PSP hold water (IE will it work on a modded PSP)?
    I own the game and used a program to rip it from the CD then PSX2PSP to create an Eboot file. Much better than paying $10. The only PSX games I've purchased digitally on PSN have been $3 or less. At that price I don't mind spending money as it takes less time than from me creating the eboot file.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I actually pulled out my N64 last night due to this thread and I got some surprises. I was just going to pop Mega Man 64 in there to refresh my memory but wow I lucked out. I've had it in a cardboard box sealed up for over a year now, and really other than a few times when I had the Sharp NES TV (using RF) had not been able to use it for years because most LCD tvs have light/shadow (goes black) problems, very muddy visuals (well beyond AA), hard blurring on 2D imagery and other garbage so I gave up on it. Shock and surprise my cheap 29" Vizio I picked up due to the awesome low MS lag on it and style screen actually loves the N64. I ended up running MM64 and Mario last night and the 2D stuff was crisp, the AA was normal, the mud wasn't there, and then I pulled out DOOM 64 chronically dark as hell and impossible to play -- not this time, very viewable without even tweaking the brightness/gamma bar. Today I went and snapped up Blast Corps and Bombmerman Hero -- the first had light/blur problems and Hudson games add on extra mud -- both accurate to a CRT. I'm happy to have that plugged back in after so long.

MM64 did take a little getting used to again, N64 was the middle ground where only some games held your hand and a lot threw you to the wolves or only gave partial help. Did the opening stuff and wandered around the outside of the crashed ship. I think it has aged pretty well and is still fun. The draw distance of course isn't what the PS1 game, it's a little less, and you have the fog to cover it up nicely enough you don't get a lot of pop in. Controls worked great, audio was awesome though yes I did remember voices are compressed a bit but not badly. It played with good flow, didn't chug from what I saw, and it handled all around admirably well. I think it just gets a bad rap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read about this a few weeks ago but only releasing it on PSN assures they won't be getting a sale from me. I found the first Mega Man Legends at Goodwill last year for $4 but sold it before I ever got a chance to play it. My PS3 is no longer hooked up to my tv due to a lack of any more hdmi ports but I still would have preferred to get it for one of the systems I play the most which would be my Xbox's.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    How I'm looking at it since I love digital copies:

WTS Mega Man Legends Complete PS1 - $50.

Goes to buy MML on PSN for $10.

~$35 left over for other stuff. Makes sense to me.
    Or you could download an ISO of Mega Man Legends, burn it to disc, and play it on a modded PS1. If you already have a modded PS1, that's just about $0.50 for the disc. This method was readily available for years so waiting for a PSN release is really a waste of time. I really hope nobody wasted years just hoping for this type of release to happen.

With just reading this thread I now found out it was the same game as the N64 Mega Man 64, as I've played the N64 version it's really nothing special anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I couldn't agree with that. It's special in its own way because it's unique up against what Mega Man games had been until that time. It's kind of a take it or leave it thing really if you can deal with the change. Also, surprisingly not a lot of people are into modding and would refuse to hack their hardware, and I'm sure some out there still have no idea you even could do it either. I never cracked open any of my disc based systems. I've used a few flash kits but they leave the system alone.