Thread: Took months, finally got it done -- GBA 101 Mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Took months, finally got it done -- GBA 101 Mod

It was the parts that took awhile due to various collecting of things and failures to get stuff shipped right too. I finally was able to mod the immaculate white original GBA I got back in Spring. A couple months back I got a 101 and due to a mishap shortly after the hinge got wrecked so I farmed it for the screen. I got from a US seller on ebay the 40pin adapter with the wire off it to get that to work in an original GBA with the 101 screen.

It took me a few hours as I've never done this before and I'm grossly lacking in tools (buy me a dremel!) I ended up using the soldering iron and some tweezers to melt the interior of the unit to move the plastic away so I could get the screen in there nice and right. The easy part was situating it in there and soldering the one wire lead off it to the board at a specific point. Sadly in the process my hand slipped, melted 2 spots into the outer GBA plastic screen cover so I just got the replacement today but I've had it done since late last week.

I'm in it $3 for the GBA, $10 (5/ea for screen covers OEM), $40 on the SP, and $10 on the wire. 1/2 the price of buying one from some dude off the internet so I can't say I'm displeased even if it's not 100% perfect which really can't be seen without close inspection.

Attachment 8298Attachment 8299Attachment 8300

Glad I got it done, not sure I'd want to do it again unless necessary. It's worth the comfort and off the shelf AA batteries(rechargeable or not) makes it all the sweeter. I've never modded anything before, this is a first.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Nice, looks like you got yourself a 8-bit mario amiibo as well!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I got the last one at the Target when they came out, had to have them hold it for a few minutes while I drove over to the other location. That's also Ness's hat, Fox's hand, Samus, Megaman and Pac-Man's thumb in there too. :P Smash-Koopa was bracing it at the angle and Toon Link and Charmander are off to the right off camera.

Also that third image for clarity of the nice screen, that's QWAK, and it's a legit limited run cart the developer made as an unlicensed cart, not a flash kit. Fantastic Amiga port that game is.