Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default Volgarr the Viking now on Dreamcast

http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/view...php?f=5&t=7584

Hello All.

I'll get straight to the point - I was talking to one of the team members who developed Volgarr, and he had mentioned that the were playing around with porting the game to various platforms, including the Dreamcast. I MAY have begged and pleaded for that to happen, and after a... while, he had a couple of files for me.

Hey man, sorry to leave you hanging so long.

So the problem is that my programmer buddy, who unfortunately lives far away from me in a different state, told me everything was ready to go a while back, but I couldn't get it to work myself. The Dreamcast I have access too is dying and can't really read discs any more, and I had no luck getting an emulator to work with it. I finally decided that its better to release based on my buddy's word than let all his work on it go to waste.

Therefore, I'm releasing this port with a notice that we (Crazy Viking Studios) don't officially support this version of the game since it was made by someone else (with our permission), but as a totally free, and freely-re-distributable, copy of the game, with no guarantees that it will work or that it is of sufficient quality. No prior proof of purchase required either. Since we aren't, as a company, really endorsing this version, we can't really publicly advertise it or anything, but we're fine with it being spread around the internet by Dreamcast enthusiasts to play if they want (assuming anyone actually gets it to work like the programmer guy says it should).
    http://volgarr.rkd.zone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I just burned this to disc and tried it last night. Very, very cool game with a Rastan vibe.

Thus far it's a difficult game (or my skills are really rusty) but it's not frustrating. There seems to be infinite lives but, at least on the first level, you start at the beginning of the level when you buy the farm. I did have to stop myself and go to bed as I was getting that urge to go "one more time".

I burned it using ImageBurn but I had to get the "Dreamcast driver" (a dll and accompanying files) to get the burn started.

Give it a shot. I'm floored that this is a PORT of a modern game on modern consoles and PC. It looks amazing!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Looks like I'll have to download disc shuffler again.

I haven't heard of this game before, but it looks pretty great (reminds me of Magic Sword).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Volgarr is very VERY Rastan
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very cool! I am going to load this up on my GDEMU later today. A new Dreamcast game that is fun to play. I just may pass out.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Volgarr is fantastic! I picked it up on GoG last year and it was totally worth it.

I had no idea there was a Dreamcast port and FREE at that!

An excellent old school hack n slash platformer. And yes, its tough as nails, but fair. Also the instruction manual that you get with the GoG version is an awesome mock-up. Its styled like the game was released on the Genesis with the red striping and stuff.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I found I had an early release of it on Steam via some humble bundle and when I tried that I hated it. Perhaps it was still early. I'm not huge on Rastan but it was enjoyable when I had it on SMS. I just remember being stuck on keyboard and getting killed repeatedly like a minute into it because of getting tangled up, not even legit hits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Here we go. I uploaded a few pics. How i miss the days of instruction booklets.

If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

This is awesome, I think Volgarr is a pretty fun game. Even though I got the game for free, I'd pay money if Crazy Viking Studios released this as a physical copy for Dreamcast.
    Last edited by M.Buster2184; 10-02-2015 at 02:24 AM.