Thread: Non-crappiest game for a system, with a twist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Non-crappiest game for a system, with a twist

NO first party franchises, too easy to list.

The crappiest thread got me thinking, what about systems considered the lesser or loser of a generation that had some really awesome games. They can be big sellers or largely ignored, or even sadly relegated to a stupid rental. But if it's N64 or Virtual boy -- No Mario/Wario, Zelda, Sega with Sonic, etc. I think secondary franchises not bound to a system (your Konami, Hudson, Capcom, etc favorites) are fine as much as are obscure games too. Maybe someone will look up an oddball they missed and enjoy it.

Dreamcast you could throw one out there like Record of the Lodoss War, awesome if you love the manga/anime, still great if you're into a Diablo type game on a console with a good story that keeps you engaged and a character with lots of customization in upgrades and gear. With the N64 something like Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, an Ocarina of Time style of game with goofy Edo era Japan shenanigans going on and actually is far more fun to play too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always been a major fan of the Silent Hill franchise. The story is incredible if you ask me. Scared the crap out of me as a kid too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

I'm not sure how popular it is, but Alberty Odyssey for the Sega Saturn is a pretty fun game. Wish they would have done more good 2d games on the Saturn personally.

Also, though probably more popular, Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar is always a good time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome Possum for the Genesis is another one of my favorites. Granted it's an obvious Sonic rip off, it always kept my attention as a kid. Something about a opossum doing cartwheels...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Since we're going off on a Sega tangent here, what's up with Ristar? Amazing game, nice spinoff/port to the GameGear too (and I think brazilians stuffed it on their SMS as well), and why did it just go away? I think it was one of Sonic Team's babies, but they oddly never kept it going...and personally to me looking back since I don't have rose tinted love for Sonic (and in this era of hate/apathy towards him with so many bad games) I'm surprised it was never resurrected as it had the better game play mechanics.