Thread: Complete U.S. version of Magical Chase appears on ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Complete U.S. version of Magical Chase appears on ebay.

It's immaculate, it's complete, it's... Almost certainly not worth $100,000, is it? I mean, I've seen them go for as low (HA HA HA HA HA) as $25,000 NIB. Thoughts anybody?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311012474307...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whoever the seller is, is an idiot. That game is not worth 10 grand, let alone 100 grand. The back of the box has obvious crush damage. And its not THAT rare.

He would be lucky to get 5 grand for it. And whoever would pay 5 grand for one video game, is stupid.

Have a nice day!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well now that was harsh....ly accurate there Kevin. He's right though, that guy is being one greedy fishing punk using that free ebay post to troll up a fool or at least some attention for himself.

On a lesser note this also popped up on GBC back in the day, surprisingly that one gets a bit expensive too, but nothing like that version by any means.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

also wtf @ his shipping cost being over $100? the package will weigh less than 13 ounces even in a sturdy box... Even with mega insurance shipping should be no more than $50 and HELL for 100 grand you need to offer free 1 day shipping.. Shiat.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I always prefered Cotton to this game. Magical Chase is....ok, but certainly not worth the kind of money it tries to fetch. I'll stick with Cotton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    Whoever the seller is, is an idiot. That game is not worth 10 grand, let alone 100 grand. The back of the box has obvious crush damage. And its not THAT rare.

He would be lucky to get 5 grand for it. And whoever would pay 5 grand for one video game, is stupid.

Have a nice day!
    I actually thought it was worth closer to $15K considering the rate for just the case, card, and book: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboGrafx-1...item41992980ce

Again, I've seen them go for as much as $25K new and sealed, but that was a number of years ago. Magical Chase is pretty darned rare. It's rare I see U.S. copies on ebay at all, and they're never at an attainable rate.

I almost owned this game once... Got out voted and we bought Motoroader instead... It's a bit of a sore spot these days. I would have never sold it, but I would have liked to own it.
    Dig it old-school?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

also wtf @ his shipping cost being over $100? the package will weigh less than 13 ounces even in a sturdy box... Even with mega insurance shipping should be no more than $50 and HELL for 100 grand you need to offer free 1 day shipping.. Shiat.
    Shit, I would assume free shipping would be a no brainer for that kind of money.
    Dig it old-school?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    I always prefered Cotton to this game. Magical Chase is....ok, but certainly not worth the kind of money it tries to fetch. I'll stick with Cotton.
    Yeah, when it comes to CuteEmUps with witches it's tough to be Cotton. Cotton 2 4 Life!

*Tough to "beat" Cotton even.
    Last edited by Retronick; 10-01-2015 at 01:14 PM.
    Dig it old-school?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Retronick View Post
    I actually thought it was worth closer to $15K considering the rate for just the case, card, and book: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboGrafx-1...item41992980ce

Again, I've seen them go for as much as $25K new and sealed, but that was a number of years ago. Magical Chase is pretty darned rare. It's rare I see U.S. copies on ebay at all, and they're never at an attainable rate.

I almost owned this game once... Got out voted and we bought Motoroader instead... It's a bit of a sore spot these days. I would have never sold it, but I would have liked to own it.
    Ebay completed listings only goes back about 3 months. So sure that's the only magical chase that sold the last 3 months, but on the years I have been on ebay I have seen TONS of magical chases included many complete in box, in recent years. Whoever paid for that copy with just case, 5 grand, well they overpaid by a lot. A LOT. who knows maybe they never paid.

Neo Geo and TG 16 people overpay the hell out of everything... Oh well. its a sickness.

things have gotten stupid in the last few years on ebay. too many NON gamers are trying to cash in on old rare video games. And I think quite a few rich investor (and foreign) types are getting into buying valuable games and most of them are stupid and clueless about classic games. Oh well.

that's the price I guess for retro gaming becoming extremely popular. I guess many people finally figured out most modern games are crap and generic compared to the golden age of gaming, the 1990's.

I also partly blame the birth of video game grading... (gag). responsible for people now trying to get way too much money for certain games.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

That box aint MINT...no sale

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ebay completed listings only goes back about 3 months. So sure that's the only magical chase that sold the last 3 months, but on the years I have been on ebay I have seen TONS of magical chases included many complete in box, in recent years. Whoever paid for that copy with just case, 5 grand, well they overpaid by a lot. A LOT. who knows maybe they never paid.

Neo Geo and TG 16 people overpay the hell out of everything... Oh well. its a sickness.

things have gotten stupid in the last few years on ebay. too many NON gamers are trying to cash in on old rare video games. And I think quite a few rich investor (and foreign) types are getting into buying valuable games and most of them are stupid and clueless about classic games. Oh well.

that's the price I guess for retro gaming becoming extremely popular. I guess many people finally figured out most modern games are crap and generic compared to the golden age of gaming, the 1990's.

I also partly blame the birth of video game grading... (gag). responsible for people now trying to get way too much money for certain games.
    I agree with almost everything you've said here. Magical Chase has gone for significantly less (and it's not gonna sell at this price), in the past. That said, you're right... Since this little niche hobby went mainstream it's been getting harder and harder to buy anything. I bought a sealed copy of Tempo ~4 years ago for $30. Now that's going for around $90. It's difficult when all you want to do is play an original copy on original hardware...

Anyway, while this thing isn't worth $100K, I can see someone spending an assload for it based solely on its reputation. The box has some damage, but its seldom you see TG-16 original boxes in much better shape. Lots of them got dinged, dented, crushed, folded, or even pinned to the wall... So what if I thought they looked cool enough to display that way?!
    Dig it old-school?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Back in the early 2000s... I think 2004, I passed on the only copy I've seen in person at $75, as it seemed a little steep, and I picked up Cotton 2 for Saturn and Fatal Fury 3 for AES instead for a total of about $70. In hindsight, it would have been a good pickup, but I wouldn't have played it nearly as much as those two.

I agree about how nuts the Turbo and Neo Geo markets have become. I have quite a few games for both, but I didn't pay anywhere near what people are paying now... if I was looking at starting now, I'd just walk away. I rarely buy for either now, but what I did, I'm glad I did a long time ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Back in the early 2000s... I think 2004, I passed on the only copy I've seen in person at $75, as it seemed a little steep, and I picked up Cotton 2 for Saturn and Fatal Fury 3 for AES instead for a total of about $70. In hindsight, it would have been a good pickup, but I wouldn't have played it nearly as much as those two.

I agree about how nuts the Turbo and Neo Geo markets have become. I have quite a few games for both, but I didn't pay anywhere near what people are paying now... if I was looking at starting now, I'd just walk away. I rarely buy for either now, but what I did, I'm glad I did a long time ago.
    I've seen in at local retail after market back in the 90s too, the price on it now is just unjustifiably stupid and plays into what he said about the lack of intelligence in the NG and TG(PCE) after market buyers right now. Money seems to have no true value as far as a stumbling block to getting whatever you want right now and not having to wait stepping on anyone who gets in the way with another benjamin or two if that's what it takes. I had a strong selection of a good mix of US and JP based CD/SCDs back then along with dozens of HuCards (US) as well. Some years ago (this decade) I sold off my first copy of Bonk NES with the intent of using the couple hundred it was worth then to buy a copy of Bonk CIB (don't care about the cardboard slips) along with the sequel and a few other games to get started and pony up the cash for a new(used) Duo on the aftermarket as they had consistently been in that whole $300 price range for a long time if that. I learned quickly that I wish I had not done that because when I saw a CIB Bonk going over $50 like 5 years back I got disgusted then started poking around and saw how much mindless non-Japanese US etc buyers were paying to fight over the stuff I wrote it off then and there. I still look now and again to see if they price stab each other into implosion and that still hasn't happened since it has a healthy enough segregated pile of crazy people with more cash than common sense that makes the NES/SNES stuff look tame. Another one that really put the brakes on ti was the Ys Book 1+2 and the Gate of THunder disc (which as bonk1+2 and hidden bomberman) CDs and how much those had gone from $10-20 complete copies up to crazy town.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I think its funny how some people think they can take a rare item and list it on ebay for an extremly large amount of money and some billionare will just throw some money at it without a second thought. Shit like that doesnt happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post

Yeah... When I was 6 years old we got a TurboGrafx the year it came out. We had spend the entire year asking for an NES, and then we got to play Keith Courage... That sting went away as soon as we cracked open Blazing Lazers, but you see what I mean. Point is, I got in on the ground floor, and that's really where most of my collection has come from. As soon as the console was on the ropes, I was picking up games like Bloody Wolf and Devil's Crush, complete, for $11 at the local Video Game Exchange, and an Express for $80 (my original was stolen when our house got robbed). We also picked up Bonk 3, Soldier Blade, and Bomberman '93 on Turbo Zone Direct, where I considered buying Magical Chase for $40... And didn't :/.

I can't see starting to collect for this system today. It's so prohibitively expensive and it's difficult to pinpoint exactly why. I know part of it is the recent "main stream" popularity of retro gaming creating more demand for technology that hasn't seen production for 20+ years, but I wonder how much of it is due to hoarding as well. Regardless, I think this pricing was bound to happen. Nobody's going to spend $100K on Magical Chase, but I've seen people drop $500 on Bonk 3, $600 on Super Air Zonk, and well over $250 on Bomberman '93 and Saturn Bomberman. I guess it comes down to what people are willing to pay to obtain their "white whales". My wife spent $175 on Panzer Dragoon Saga for my birthday 7 years ago, and that price tag has soared to over $300 over the past few years. Like other antiques, there are fewer originals to go around every year, and everyone is clamoring to complete their collections. Just a sad reminder that nothing can last forever.

But on the plus side... It's Friday, and I've got a rainy weekend to enjoy what I do have . You all should do the same.
    Dig it old-school?