Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games you may want for reasons you didn't know

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Games you may want for reasons you didn't know

So, what got me thinking about this is Namco Museum DS. I never would have even considered owning this, as I've already got enough variants thereof. However, a few years ago, I saw it on sale and decided to read the back, and was surprised to see a portable version of Pac-Man Vs. included. I love that game, and it offers single card download play. No brainer for me.

Any games anyone can think of that people might want for odd reasons the developers/publishers didn't play up or weren'ttalked about much? I know I bought TMNT Battle Nexus for its having the arcade game included, and several Sga Ages 2500 releases because they had multiple regions' versions of classic games on them. I know a lot of people like Donkey Kong 64 for the arcade game's inclusion... what are some more games with modes or extra games that make an otherwise bland game into something more special and worth owning?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Outrun 2 (Xbox) has SCUD Race and Daytona 2 unlockable levels as well as the classic Outrun hidden in it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Super Monkey Ball 2 for GameCube has an unlockable tennis minigame that's one of the best-playing tennis games I've encountered on any system, ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The Intellivision version of Dig Dug has a secret game hidden in it, called Deadly Dogs! It's a hack of Tron Deadly Discs but you fight the hot dogs from Burgertime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Great topic!
    I also purchased Namco Museum DS for the same reason.

The one game that came to mind right away for me was Time Pilot, Oretachi Geasen Zoku Sono Vol. 04.
    Time Pilot was always a favorite game of mine. While I'm no expert on all the available home conversion, I'm pretty sure the Oretachi Geasen release is the only home version which can be played with a vertical monitor. The screen zoom feature which is present in most (all?) Oretachi Geasen releases is typically a strange if not useless addition, but for Time Pilot is can be fun to scale the screen up so that very little play area is visible, the chase and dodging of off-screen enemies makes for a unique challenging take on Time Pilot.

I have a particular interest in unique controllers. Finding games which support the Playstation neGcon has been sometimes surprising. It was on this very forum during a discussion of Paperboy ports, that I became aware of Arcade's Greatest Hits The Atari Collection 2 and it's support of the neGcon as well as the mouse. (I believe Roadblasters also utilizes the neGcon)

A real odd-ball is the existence of the Hori Shovel Controller, which first led me to know about the game Power Shovel. While it can be played with a Dual Analog pad just as well, the novelty controller really makes playing Power Shovel an event.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I may have to pick up a couple of these. The Discs of Tron/Burgertime bit sounds funny.

Thought of a few more.

World Court Tennis and Final Lap Twin on Turbografx are both inexpensive and have unique quest modes, which take the games from arcadey tennis and racing and place you in a straight up Dragon Warrior-inspired RPG mode, with random encounters being one game rounds of tennis or single lap races respectively. You earn money, buy new equipment, and challenge bosses.

Super Family Tennis on Super Famicom has a drama mode that can be accessed via a code. It's like a graphic novel with interspersed tennis matches, and it's pretty fun!

Scud on Saturn, which I know I've gone on about quite a bit, has unique modes like one player/2 light guns, the option to play the game as a side-scroller through the same stages, a two player mode where one player plays the side-scrolling run & gun while player 2 lays down cover fire with a light gun, and if you're a fan of the comic, an unlockable mode to play as Drywall after clearing the game. Plus, music tracks and a hidden comedy sketch from the Dead Alewives, featuring Rob Schrab (creator of Scud and writer on the Sarah Silverman Show and Monster House) and Dan Harmon (co-creator of Community, Monster House, and Rick and Morty).
    Last edited by celerystalker; 10-06-2015 at 02:07 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Super Monkey Ball 2 for GameCube has an unlockable tennis minigame that's one of the best-playing tennis games I've encountered on any system, ever.
    I agree that the mini-games on the Monkey Ball games really became the overall highlight for me. I'm particularly fond of Monkey Bowling in MB2.

I guess I would have to say Midway Arcade Treasures is a good answer for me. I bought the package for the usual suspects: Joust, Defender, and in particular Rampart, but it was Root Beer Tapper that became something of an obsession for quite some time.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

For me, it was Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, with an honorable nod to its predecessor, The Gottlieb Collection. I own the PS2 versions in both instances and don't know how the later versions compare.

Both of these are collections of real pinball machines.. well, digitized versions of such, anyway. The Williams one contains almost exclusively tables from the 1980s, like Gorgar, Taxi, Black Knight and freakin' Pin-Bot (That's not a complete list), while Gottlieb goes as far back as the 1950s and shows more of the evolution of pinball. The Gottlieb collection tho, being earlier, has some kinks that weren't quite worked out--in particular nudging the table is way too sensitive, and you have to get into the habit of moving the left analog stick very slightly in order to nudge without immediately invoking a tilt (fortunately, there's a code to turn Tilting off entirely). On the williams collection, you have to really be abusing the tables, kicking their babies and saying mean things about their religion before you get a tilt.

Also Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, also on PS2 (Tho this version is dependent upon the PSP release for all the unlocks. Which some like to complain about, but personally I like having a second excuse to buy two copies of this game). This is THE BEST RACING GAME EVER MADE. Yes I would even call it better than the original Outrun. Outrun 2006 is essentially an enhanced home port of Outrun 2SP--though you can play the arcade version as well if you like. If I had any complaints, its that (compared to the original 1986 Outrun) I almost never have a problem reaching the finish line, even when I play the arcade mode. So its slightly easier in that regard. But then there's heart attack mode and the various challenges... and also the song "Nightbird," exclusive to this version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Edmond, you've never ever played 'The Pinball Arcade' on 3DS download (even a card with 5 games on it), PC(Steam), Android, iOS, PSN(PS3+4+vita), PS4 disc, or XB? That's the same contract and same stuff going on there. They ditched the gottlieb old timey stuff in TPA but maintained the non-EM stuff (very few if any pre-electrical stuff is in the package to date.) They release tables by seasons just starting #5 now which end up getting 10 per season though 1+2 got double that. Buy a table (or 2 with season1+2) for $5 or a whole season I think is $30, often on sale for 1/2 off a few times a year.

For me too it was a huge deal to get the Willam's Collection despite how buggy and poor the Gottlieb one was which I had too. I see you're fascinated with PinBot. It along with the Black Knight and Space SHuttle were my pre-DMD favorites of the 80s and amazingly those +2 more are the selection on the physical release on 3DS which was a must buy. The thing is I now do own a real Pinbot machine, and I'll still go back to the digital one when I can't play at home and I want to get at it. Sadly they limit you to no options and 3 balls unless you pay extra money for TPA which is semi-sleazy in my book. Most people played 80s and 70s pins on 5 balls, not 3.

Here's a fun one I didn't realize at the time back in the mid 90s. When I got my DUO and started bagging games (especially discs) I found I really wanted Gate of Thunder, an awesome shooter. But the thing was that really got me going with it was a double whammy of added unadvertised awesomeness. Hiding in plain view on there was also Bonk's Adventure and Bonk's Return so I didn't have to buy the HuCards, and behind a really basic short code(buttons pushed) hidden in not plain sight was BOMBERMAN (aka Dynablaster on MSDOS-PC) which is an amazing version of the game. Buy 1, get 3 free on that one...hell of a deal.

Also here's another. Ever heard of Pinball Advance (for GBA?) I'd guess no. It only came out in the EU/UK market. I stumbled upon it on accident one day on ebay, some dude just over the border in TN was selling it, got it CIB stupid cheap. When I got it as a blind buy I tried it out and fell in love with the 3D rendered tables, amazing sounds, very solid physics engine. I would only more recently later find out they weren't original. THey were something I'd wanted to play years ago and never got it, part of the DOS/Win game PINBALL MANIA. I was floored, they were tables made in conjunction with 21st Century Entertainment and DICE(yeah as in the Bad Company/EA guys) who did the stunning Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies which was ported everywhere and I think started on Amiga. To take it full circle, both Dreams+Fantasies about th esame time and again only in the EU/UK hit the GBA too as Pinball Challenge Deluxe with all 8 tables on one cart (which I also own.) Crazy eh?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    It was on this very forum during a discussion of Paperboy ports, that I became aware of Arcade's Greatest Hits The Atari Collection 2 and it's support of the neGcon as well as the mouse. (I believe Roadblasters also utilizes the neGcon)
    Wow, I had no idea they did that. I'm amazed they would bother to include such support, but that's cool! I really enjoyed those PS1 collections when they were first released. For some reason being able to play a "real" port of Rampage blew my mind at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    For me, it was Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, with an honorable nod to its predecessor, The Gottlieb Collection. I own the PS2 versions in both instances and don't know how the later versions compare.
    I love pinball games, but I'm always drawn to the ones that were nothing like real pinball (Crude Ball, Alien Crush, Pinball of the Dead). Realistic pinball simulations were something I avoided like the plague no matter what the system. I happened to load the ISO's of these two up on my PSP and was strangely hooked. I was even able to play them decently with the PSP longways which is something I've never been able to tolerate on another game. That got me hooked into going for high scores, which is something I hadn't really paid attention to in games since years ago with Guitar Hero. I managed to snag used copies of the 360 and 3DS versions, although I wish frame rate on the 3DS was 60fps like the others. Amazingly fun games especially at cheap prices!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Super Family Tennis on Super Famicom has a drama mode that can be accessed via a code. It's like a graphic novel with interspersed tennis matches, and it's pretty fun!
    Huh! I had no idea such an intriguing code existed, lol. Do you know what the code is exactly?
    Also, is it basically unenjoyable to play this mode if one does not read Japanese? Or is there little to no text in this graphic novel mode?

I bought SFT like 9 years ago. Still haven't gotten around to playing it but you might have just inspired me to pick it up soon

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Huh! I had no idea such an intriguing code existed, lol. Do you know what the code is exactly?
    Also, is it basically unenjoyable to play this mode if one does not read Japanese? Or is there little to no text in this graphic novel mode?

I bought SFT like 9 years ago. Still haven't gotten around to playing it but you might have just inspired me to pick it up soon
    I sure do! You hit select five times on the title screen, which gives you access to theater mode, which is the mode you want. There is very little text, and not much in the way of choices. You can only lose by losing your matches, and you play in some special arenas. The text is in Japanese, but there are accompanying images that make it pretty understandable. You find yourself in special matches as well, such as controlling one player on a doubles team or playing atop a mountain. I enjoyed it quite a bit myself!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Another one that's not much of a secret is Battlezone 2000 for the Atari Lynx. The programmers came up with a great little game, but Atari didn't like it and ordered them to start over, making it more like the arcade original with wireframe graphics. So they hid their original version of Battlezone 2000 in the game. I found it to be a bit tough, to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Also Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, also on PS2 (Tho this version is dependent upon the PSP release for all the unlocks. Which some like to complain about, but personally I like having a second excuse to buy two copies of this game). This is THE BEST RACING GAME EVER MADE. Yes I would even call it better than the original Outrun. Outrun 2006 is essentially an enhanced home port of Outrun 2SP--though you can play the arcade version as well if you like. If I had any complaints, its that (compared to the original 1986 Outrun) I almost never have a problem reaching the finish line, even when I play the arcade mode. So its slightly easier in that regard. But then there's heart attack mode and the various challenges... and also the song "Nightbird," exclusive to this version.
    The Japanese PS2 version - titled simply Outrun 2 SP - is even better. They put the space shuttle and volcano animations back in (to a degree - they're a bit downgraded), fixed the frame drop in a few places, fixed the Turbo Outrun music so it loops properly, instead of that idiotic fade-out-and-restart, removed the PSP linking, and added support for Logitech USB wheels. Outrun mode scoring is still wrong, though, I believe. Only the European PSP version got it right for whatever reason, as did the later Outrun Online Arcade.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I sure do! You hit select five times on the title screen, which gives you access to theater mode, which is the mode you want. There is very little text, and not much in the way of choices. You can only lose by losing your matches, and you play in some special arenas. The text is in Japanese, but there are accompanying images that make it pretty understandable. You find yourself in special matches as well, such as controlling one player on a doubles team or playing atop a mountain. I enjoyed it quite a bit myself!
    This sounds like a great candidate for a translation! I actually recently was part of a team that translated Family Tennis for the Famicom, so maybe I can find folks to take this one on, though I know nothing about Super Famicom hacking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Celery. Whenever I get around to writing a review of Super Family Tennis, I'm definitely creditting you for the tip and code.

Saturn Bomberman comes to mind. It has a code that blew my mind about 10 years ago when I found out. You have like 4 variations of EACH main battle stage. So it took the map count from like 12 to 48. It was insane and made a fun party game with INFINITE replay value even more nuts. I don't have the code on me right now but I'm pretty sure you can find it on GameFAQs. It's also why I prefer the 8 player mode to the 10 player mode. You get way more map choices and it's still plenty chaotic enough at 8 players!

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

A couple more occurred to me.

MLB Power Pros (and the 2008 version) for PS2 and Wii: The create a player mode is not the usual. It's a visual novel/sim mode where your player develops through college to get drafted, and your stats come out based on your performance. You train, study, and even date. It's wild, fun, and english!

Milon's Secret Castle for Game Boy: the layout is exactly like that of the NES game, but the big difference is that you actually have a password save system, making figuring out its obtuse puzzles much less daunting instead of trying to get it all in one sitting, plus it's portable.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

for what ever reason I have wanted F-zero gx but I cant bring my self to pay the prices that people are asking

and I cant stand f zero on SNES for some reason either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

$20 is too much for F-Zero GX? When I saw that you got me curious if it was another Nintendo nerd taxed game and feared it was like $50+ but it's not. You should grab it, it's fun.

I never knew why the hell I'd want Hexen or FIghting Force both on N64, but I grabbed them today. I had heard they were nice and I slightly messed with the DOS version of Hexen like 20 years ago, hope they're fun.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's still a markup. I think GX is $20 disc-only.
    A few years ago I got one CIB for like $15 but the disc was scratched. I suppose it was worth it to spend another $20 on a good disc to complete it, though.