Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Games you may want for reasons you didn't know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm looking at complete paid copies selling for $20 shipped give or take a few bucks on ebay when I wrote that. That's why I wondered why it was like unpalatable.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The title to the thread sounds as if you're questioning what games we have played that we never thought we'd actually like and after playing them we would, but the op sounds like what hidden games are located within a game that may or may not be advertised by developers or publishers.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^Nice to know I'm not the only one who was confused by the title and actual content of the thread. For me it would be the original Ninja Gaiden game on Xbox. It has versions of the three Nes Ninja Gaiden games locked away through game play. The first SpyHunter game on Xbox has the arcade version of Spyhunter on the disc when you enter a code but that's advertised on the box. Original Xbox games seemed to do this a lot.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, the point was basically that a lot of games that look generic on the service may have content, modes, or hidden games that make what otherwise looks like a game to pass on worth a look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well if you're into local multiplayer back in the day up until more or less Perfect Dark came out Hexen 64 has a full blown 4 player deathmatch to do that plays well and has a consistent framerate. That was pretty huge for then but when Perfect Dark showed up that kind of got forgotten since it's a full 3D game while Hexen runs on the old DOS DOOM engine which is faux 3D. The game was rated mediocre, not really sure why, maybe graphics whoring and because it's hard, but if you want to have a 4 player death dealing FPS on one screen it's a good choice most don't realize is there.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    ^Nice to know I'm not the only one who was confused by the title and actual content of the thread. For me it would be the original Ninja Gaiden game on Xbox. It has versions of the three Nes Ninja Gaiden games locked away through game play. The first SpyHunter game on Xbox has the arcade version of Spyhunter on the disc when you enter a code but that's advertised on the box. Original Xbox games seemed to do this a lot.
    They are the SNES ports for some odd reason. If you're talking about Ninja Gaiden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^ Good to know as I've never unlocked them. And since I sold my sealed copy of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy some time ago it will be nice to finally get to play through those versions.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kinda thru me for a loop, because that is not an easy achievement collecting all those scarabs, whilst running through the entire game twice. Definitely not worth it. Just to play half-assy Snes ports?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Visually they're halfassed a bit, but the gameplay is solid and the passwords are welcome as is the restoration of the famicom way of how NG3 is handled with damage/continuing. I actually own the cart, kept it over the NES games I had for a long time.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm looking at complete paid copies selling for $20 shipped give or take a few bucks on ebay when I wrote that. That's why I wondered why it was like unpalatable.
    couple months ago it was $35 complete

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Milon's Secret Castle for Game Boy: the layout is exactly like that of the NES game, but the big difference is that you actually have a password save system, making figuring out its obtuse puzzles much less daunting instead of trying to get it all in one sitting, plus it's portable.
    If the basic gameplay is still the same, then who cares?!? The AVGN said it best: "Milon's Secret Castle. MORE LIKE MILON'S SHITTY ASSHOLE!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099 View Post
    If the basic gameplay is still the same, then who cares?!? The AVGN said it best: "Milon's Secret Castle. MORE LIKE MILON'S SHITTY ASSHOLE!"
    Have you actually played it? It a fun action adventure game with loads of secrets, and the continue code the AVGN bitched about is in the instruction manual, which he obviously never read. The AVGN is not even James Rolfe's real opinion. It's entertainment, not journalism. Milon's Secret Castle is no more obtuse than The Legend of Zelda in its clues, has solid controls that just need to be learned, and lots of secrets to find like optional powerups, life bar extensions, and music boxes. Probably one of my top 25 NES games, and yes, I've played 99% of its library on actual carts and I've played the game as an adult.

Probably taking that post too seriously, but anytime I hear or see someone quote the nerd, 95% of the time they haven't earnestly played the game or even get that he's just entertainment and often gives incomplete or straight inaccurate information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Kinda thru me for a loop, because that is not an easy achievement collecting all those scarabs, whilst running through the entire game twice. Definitely not worth it. Just to play half-assy Snes ports?
    Well that entire game is super difficult so that's just one more reward waiting for me at the end of the tunnel. Plus I sold my Nes originals a few months ago so this will be the only way I can play it on the big tv. I have the first two games downloaded to my 3DS but it's not the same playing them on those small screens.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Have you actually played it? It a fun action adventure game with loads of secrets, and the continue code the AVGN bitched about is in the instruction manual, which he obviously never read. The AVGN is not even James Rolfe's real opinion. It's entertainment, not journalism. Milon's Secret Castle is no more obtuse than The Legend of Zelda in its clues, has solid controls that just need to be learned, and lots of secrets to find like optional powerups, life bar extensions, and music boxes. Probably one of my top 25 NES games, and yes, I've played 99% of its library on actual carts and I've played the game as an adult.

Probably taking that post too seriously, but anytime I hear or see someone quote the nerd, 95% of the time they haven't earnestly played the game or even get that he's just entertainment and often gives incomplete or straight inaccurate information.
    Yes, I played it, and thought it sucked. I rented it one or two times in the early 90s and, like the Nerd, was pissed that the game is so damn cryptic that it's impossible to advance beyond the first level without the use of a walkthrough.

I don't mind puzzles that are cryptic, like those found in Zelda I and II, but Milon's Secret Castle took things way, way beyond the limit. Puzzles notwithstanding, all of his other criticisms were valid: the way your shots fire, the fact that you literally have to blindly shoot each and every single thing JUST TO MAKE NORMAL PROGRESS in the game, etc.

The graphics and music are fine, but beyond those factors, Milon's Secret Castle is one of the worst games on the NES. You have your opinion, I have mine. We may just have to agree to disagree, but I assure you that I formed my own opinion long before anyone ever heard of the AVGN or YouTube.

I'm not the only one who feels this way. Although it's anything but unbiased when it comes to video games, you can read about how widely the game was panned by critics on Wikipedia at this URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milon'...stle#Reception
    Last edited by evildead2099; 10-13-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

The graphics and music are fine, but beyond those factors, Milon's Secret Castle is one of the worst games on the NES. You have your opinion
    That's not an opinion, that's either ignorance or stupidity. It seems like Milon left your panties in a bunch. A friend and I progressed pretty far without a guide, the friend later beat it without any outside help.

Funny that the game recieved two rereleases (Gameboy and GBA) and a sequel if it was so badly recieved.
    And the inane wiki link you posted doesn't in the least show "how widely panned by critics." It reflects what two internet content providers thought of the game decades after it was released.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 10-13-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Well that entire game is super difficult so that's just one more reward waiting for me at the end of the tunnel. Plus I sold my Nes originals a few months ago so this will be the only way I can play it on the big tv. I have the first two games downloaded to my 3DS but it's not the same playing them on those small screens.
    It's a major pain in the ass, trust me. You've got to collect all those scarabs, beat the game and start a new game, make it up to the shopkeeper and buy the games with the scarabs while finding another hidden game, beat the game again, start another freaking game and make it to the arcade cabinet in the bar where you can finally play the damned things. If you have any hair left, then enjoy. It's really fucking hard doing all that just for the Snes ports. An achievement where you can truly pat yourself on the back. No joke.

The music and sound is all jacked up on the Snes games. The graphics looked like shit to me. It just didn't look right. Like all they did was add a few colors and called it a day. The PCE Ninja Gaiden looks better, janky parallax and all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yes, I played it, and thought it sucked. I rented it one or two times in the early 90s and, like the Nerd, was pissed that the game is so damn cryptic that it's impossible to advance beyond the first level without the use of a walkthrough.

I don't mind puzzles that are cryptic, like those found in Zelda I and II, but Milon's Secret Castle took things way, way beyond the limit. Puzzles notwithstanding, all of his other criticisms were valid: the way your shots fire, the fact that you literally have to blindly shoot each and every single thing JUST TO MAKE NORMAL PROGRESS in the game, etc.

The graphics and music are fine, but beyond those factors, Milon's Secret Castle is one of the worst games on the NES. You have your opinion, I have mine. We may just have to agree to disagree, but I assure you that I formed my own opinion long before anyone ever heard of the AVGN or YouTube.

I'm not the only one who feels this way. Although it's anything but unbiased when it comes to video games, you can read about how widely the game was panned by critics on Wikipedia at this URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milon'...stle#Reception
    As a child I got to the top floor in Milon's Secret Castle, and I wasn't some wunderkind. The angle of the shots plays fine with enemy locations, and powerups make your bubble larger and increase its range. Shooting tons of blocks is no different than burning bushes and bombing walls in Zelda, except that it's even easier and has less real estate to cover. Frankly, Zelda's puzzles were even more cryptic with such gems as "Grumble Grumble," the lost woods, the power bracelet being hidden under an armos knight with no clues... it's loaded with puzzles with zero hints to their solutions. How is this any less cryptic aside from that you like it better? The game was far from widely panned... hell, it's not like video game journalism as so present even then. I read one review at the time in How to Win at Nintendo Games 2, which was overall positive. It's bandwagon revisionist nonsense about a game with multiple re-releases, a direct sequel, and a DS spinoff.

If you think it's one of the worst games on the NES, you need to spend some time with Dudes with Attitude, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Where's Waldo, Orb 3D, and at least 500 other games that are demonstrably inferior, because your rental from 30 years ago isn't doing you justice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    That's not an opinion, that's either ignorance or stupidity. It seems like Milon left your panties in a bunch. A friend and I progressed pretty far without a guide, the friend later beat it without any outside help.

Funny that the game recieved two rereleases (Gameboy and GBA) and a sequel if it was so badly recieved.
    And the inane wiki link you posted doesn't in the least show "how widely panned by critics." It reflects what two internet content providers thought of the game decades after it was released.
    I said I played the game, so if you are not implying that I'm a liar, you're implying that I'm stupid. My experience of playing it was not the same as yours. I am not 'stupid' just because I disliked a game that you enjoyed, and you're a jackass for implying that.

The Wikipedia article is just one of numerous ones on the internet that reflect negative opinions toward the game. People who express negative opinions now may have had those negative opinions for years, contrary to what you want everyone to believe. But it has already been established that the only opinions you'll acknowledge as such as those that accord with yours, so I'll leave you to troll someone else.

Yes, you are a troll, and a flame-baiting one at that. I made no personal attacks toward you or anyone else, but that didn't stop you from insinuating things about me in some lame, unwarranted attempt to hurt my feelings. You must be very proud of yourself.

celerystalker: You made some good points comparing MSC to Zelda, but from my experience, Zelda's puzzles felt a lot more intuitive and less cryptic. At least Zelda lets players explore quite a lot of Hyrule before they must solve any puzzles that are remotely cryptic, whereas the opposite is true for MSC.

I did not play the terrible NES games you mentioned, but I played quite a lot of bad ones, and I consider MSC pretty bad. You said you own a large chunk of the NES library, but unless it just comes down to opinion, how can you rank MSC as high as - or higher than - a wealth of quality games like SMB 1-3, Contra & Super Contra, Jackal, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Castlevania I & III, The Guardian Legend, Life Force, Kirby's Adventure, Little Nemo: The Dream Master, Zelda I & II, Tetris, Life Force, Megaman 1-6, Duck Tales, Mighty Final Fight, and so many more titles?
    Last edited by evildead2099; 10-14-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I considered getting a pristine CIB Greatest Hits set of all the Kingdom Hearts games for PS2, since I have the same for the PS2 Final Fantasies and recently bought Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix GH for PS3 at Walmart recently. Redundant, but despite my complaint at the flaws in that game, there are still few modern releases out there that are as fun or charming as KH. I often feel that you can't really have too many copies of your favorite game for each individual system you own unless that port just flat out sucks. And speaking of redundant, I still want to get FF X/X2 remastered and KH 2.5 for PS3.

P.S.; I agree with celerystalker that Milon is actually miles better than people give it credit for. one of my favorite NES games.
    Last edited by Manhattan Sports Club; 10-14-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I said I played the game, so if you are not implying that I'm a liar, you're implying that I'm stupid. My experience of playing it was not the same as yours. I am not 'stupid' just because I disliked a game that you enjoyed, and you're a jackass for implying that.

The Wikipedia article is just one of numerous ones on the internet that reflect negative opinions toward the game. People who express negative opinions now may have had those negative opinions for years, contrary to what you want everyone to believe. But it has already been established that the only opinions you'll acknowledge as such as those that accord with yours, so I'll leave you to troll someone else.

Yes, you are a troll, and a flame-baiting one at that. I made no personal attacks toward you or anyone else, but that didn't stop you from insinuating things about me in some lame, unwarranted attempt to hurt my feelings. You must be very proud of yourself.

celerystalker: You made some good points comparing MSC to Zelda, but from my experience, Zelda's puzzles felt a lot more intuitive and less cryptic. At least Zelda lets players explore quite a lot of Hyrule before they must solve any puzzles that are remotely cryptic, whereas the opposite is true for MSC.

I did not play the terrible NES games you mentioned, but I played quite a lot of bad ones, and I consider MSC pretty bad. You said you own a large chunk of the NES library, but unless it just comes down to opinion, how can you rank MSC as high as - or higher than - a wealth of quality games like SMB 1-3, Contra & Super Contra, Jackal, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Castlevania I & III, The Guardian Legend, Life Force, Kirby's Adventure, Little Nemo: The Dream Master, Zelda I & II, Tetris, Life Force, Megaman 1-6, Duck Tales, Mighty Final Fight, and so many more titles?
    I surely never meant to say that Milon is objectively better than Mario or Zelda, but I did say it was in my top 25. Of the games you mentioned, I'd put most of them ahead of Milon, save Mighty Final Fight, Duck Tales, Mega Man 1-6, and Catlevania III. None of those game are bad games, but I just don't enjoy Mega Man games. There's nothing definitively wrong with them, though I do wish he could duck, but I just don't get into them much, no matter how much I try. The difference there is that I'm not calling them bad games; they just aren't for me. Guardian Legend, Contra, Mario, Zelda, Gradius, Legacy of the Wizard? Oh, hell yeah, they rule.

Milon might not be for you, but what I'm saying is that it isnot objectively bad and riddled with design flaws. If you don't care for the momentum-based running and jumping, angled bubble trajectory, and some tough puzzles, hey, that's your call to like what you like. To call it one of the worst games on the system that is loaded with games like Amagon, Stanley in the Search for Dr Livingston, Stealth ATF, Sunday Funday, Raid 2020, Pesterminator, Flight of the Intruder, 10 Yard Fight, MTV's Remote Control...