Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Games you may want for reasons you didn't know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    It's a major pain in the ass, trust me. You've got to collect all those scarabs, beat the game and start a new game, make it up to the shopkeeper and buy the games with the scarabs while finding another hidden game, beat the game again, start another freaking game and make it to the arcade cabinet in the bar where you can finally play the damned things. If you have any hair left, then enjoy. It's really fucking hard doing all that just for the Snes ports. An achievement where you can truly pat yourself on the back. No joke.

The music and sound is all jacked up on the Snes games. The graphics looked like shit to me. It just didn't look right. Like all they did was add a few colors and called it a day. The PCE Ninja Gaiden looks better, janky parallax and all.
    That does sound like a lot of work which wouldn't matter if I didn't work so much during the fall. I'll have to see if there are any shortcuts to achieving this. I definitely don't mine trying to complete the game again(I've only got to the third level before I gave up back in the day) but not sure if I want to do all of that twice without some bypasses. Something similar to playing Halo on Legendary where you can just skip large battles(not by cheating but by running by or crossing over sections) without it affecting the outcome of the game.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I agree that Super Monkey Ball is all about the mini-games. I sunk a ridiculous amount of time into 4-player Monkey Target in the first game, far more than on the main mode.

I bought Tokimeki Memorial mainly for the TwinBee mini-game, haha. It's actually pretty solid! Too bad it's short and I don't believe there's any way to access it besides that one time mid-route.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The problem with Hexen on Nintendo 64 was that the controls didn't translate very well. I remember it feeling extremely awkward, and the Happy Video Game Nerd apparently had very similar experiences--and even found that some important control functions disappear entirely if you switch modes in the option menu.

It gets points for almost completely replicating the PC game's levels, but if you have a choice you should just play the PC version.

By contrast, Doom 64 was awesome and is still a valid reason to own a Nintendo 64 even despite it having been fan-ported to the PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ahh finally someone with an explanation. Seems fair enough, but given I haven't touched the old DOS game for around what 20 year now(?) I really am not impacted by it. The only slightly odd one would be using the d-pad up and down to look up and down and if you're flying too it works here and with Z does height

By default the joystick moves you, B and A are your fire and open/jump functions. C up is map, C left and right is weapon select, C down is use item, and then Z and R on map screen zooms. In play Z with the joystick is strafe, and Z with the left/right C rotates inventory.

The d-pad use is a tad annoying but the rest I'm having a ball with, it's not causing me any problems so the primary stuff is full of good layout thankfully, but flying will become a pain.

I think from what I read Hexen 64 only copies the main game, not the later expansion which is fine, it's already huge. I'm up to the seven portals, got confused and shut it off the other night. Perhaps those most upset about Hexen are very used to playing the PC version and have a second sense or muscle memory with it and they can't get over the control problem. I lack this, so it's almost as easily handled as DOOM (which I agree, is stunningly good.) Speaking of which I knew of the fan made bit, it uses the n64 rom to rip the stage graphics/audio and makes a very nice PC version. I've got it installed but I'd still unless I just had a few minutes rather use the N64 cart I own. I find it harder than the PC game and enjoyed finishing it once before back in the late 90s. Also that guy was also working on converting Turok 64 and also Strife as well into that engine.

I'd have played more last night but bought my first video game console lot in 5 years yesterday evening and was cleaning passed midnight.