Thread: Have you ever wanted an elusive game for a while only to discover that you actually own it already?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question Have you ever wanted an elusive game for a while only to discover that you actually own it already?

I've purchased a lot of random duplicate games accidentally, but I'm talking about specific games that were high priority wants. I can't think of a specific game, but I know that I've done it before and felt like an idiot.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Only once, and it may have been because of an error in my database. I traded (rather generously) for several Vectrex games, and somehow overlooked that I owned one of them already. For some reason, I find it really hard to keep track of what I own for Vectrex.

Otherwise, I think the only doubles I've accidentally and intentionally bought have been Game Boy manuals, oddly enough. IIRC I bought the Tennis manual three times.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

From the top of my head Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers for NES, I was actively trying to find a copy of this at various thrifts and came across it while going through some games I packed away. I just didn't remember buying it.

Also Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Eagle Watch for PC. I had a set that was missing a few discs so I tried to find loose copies of those discs to complete it, somehow I thought I needed Eagle Watch but I really needed something else instead. Now I have an extra copy of Eagle Watch.

I'm sure I've done this a few other times as well.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I've done this quite a few times, and I can't even remember all of them. A few occasions I do recall:

-I was trying to get a boxed copy of Simcity for SNES with the manual, and it had specifically to be the Player's Choice edition. After I got it... I found out I already had one. So now I have one Simcity Players Choice cart and two boxes/manuals. Same happened with the re-release of Sonic 1 for Genesis.

-I wanted to buy a copy of Torin's Passage on ebay a few months back, but before committing I looked through my game library or something to play and it turned out I already owned a copy. I don't even remember buying it.

In fact, in general I suffer from this when it comes to PC games, because due to the varieties of ways they come in (boxed, jewel case, disc-only kept in CD wallets, or even digital downloads) I often forget what I already own.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I keep a list on my phone of Saturn games I don't already own for this reason. Luckily the only times I've bought games twice were for common NES games. Usually they are only a few dollars so that's probably why I forget that I previously bought them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I think I've bought ToeJam and Earl twice on the Mega Drive but that's it as far as games go. I'm forever buying duplicate Doctor Who DVDs, though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blaster Master, for some reason. Got it mixed up with The Guardian Legend.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I'm sure there has been but at the same time I am of the mind set if I own it already I can use it to trade for other things I want too

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Not an "elusive" game but I just bought a used CIB copy of Cross Edge for PS3 from GameStop.
    Forgot that I actually a bought, I think it was a new copy but I can't remember for sure, from amazon in the last year, but it arrived in a damaged case. Only time I had that happen so I should've remembered it. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've only done it once, really. I found Guardian for the Atari 2600 in a store for $1.99, got it home and put it in my uncommon-to-rare Atari 2600 storage box only to find there was already a copy there.

I usually only do that with uncommon games, not anything I've been looking for deliberately. For example, I bought Coconuts for the Atari 2600 something like four times before I realized I already had it and I needed to stop buying it, dammit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure about elusive but there were a few games that I wanted to play for awhile and when I finally grabbed one I realized I already had it although for me at least this usually applies to demo disc. I've gotten quite a few trade demos only to realize that when I was about to store them that I already owned a copy. But when you have literally hundreds of demo disc this is bound to happen.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've never done that with a game, but last year I did accidentally buy the same transformer twice.