Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tips for getting into the Turbografx/Turboduo

Chrono Trigger Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats friggin crazy. When did you find it? With the adevnt of the internet, things like that getting thrown away just blows my mind. You can find out the value of whatever you want in like two seconds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, now that I've found a system to purchase, how about some game suggestions? Games I plan on getting from the get go:

Ys book 1 and 2
    Cosmic Fantasy 2
    Bomberman
    R-Type
    Legendary Axe 1 and 2
    Rondo of Blood (RIP bank account)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bozle View Post
    So, now that I've found a system to purchase, how about some game suggestions? Games I plan on getting from the get go:

Ys book 1 and 2
    Cosmic Fantasy 2
    Bomberman
    R-Type
    Legendary Axe 1 and 2
    All good games! For Bomberman I would do '93 if you're getting the import, otherwise the domestic version will cost you an arm and a leg. Here are some more solid suggestions.

• Bloody Wolf
    • Parasol Stars
    • Bonk's Adventure
    • Bonk's Revenge
    • Soldier Blade
    • Blazing Lazers/Gunhed
    • Aero Blasters
    • Ninja Spirit
    • Street Fighter 2
    • Air Zonk

For accessories, two must haves are a Duo/Turbo tap, controller extension are essentials, along with avenue 6 pads if you're doing fighting games.

There are TONS more games I could recommend, but most of them are shooters XD. Lord's of Thunder is sensational, but be prepared to drop green or burn an ISO.
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Ys book 1 and 2
    Cosmic Fantasy 2
    Bomberman
    R-Type
    Legendary Axe 1 and 2
    If you want Rondo of Blood get that one first.
    as far as the others..
    Ys book 1 and 2 - pass not worth the $$
    Cosmic Fantasy 2 - pass
    Bomberman - pass
    R-Type - pass
    Legendary Axe 1 and 2 - get the first one.

There are better games to spend your money on. Get Lords of Thunder & Devils Crush.

Gate of thunder has bonks adventure, Bonks revenge and bomberman on the same disc..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't agree passing on Ys1+2 or Cosmic Fantasy 2, I had them and they're worthy titles. But one thing for certain -- Gate of Thunder is a must. You go in for the shooter, uncover it has 2 Bonk platformers saving buying the HuCards on those, and then with a very short easy to remember code, Bomberman too (yet another huCard not to buy.) Every little bit helps. I agree also the other THunder and both the Crush pinball games are very worth having. Also I'd suggest Bomberman 93 and 94 if you go down that road too (94 was Mega Bomberman on the US Genesis.) Star Soldier is an excellent hucard shooter, and if you want some ghetto but decent blatant Zelda ripoff there's Neutopia 1 and 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live for RPGs so i will not be passing up ys book 1 and 2. Heard too much praise for that game to turn it away. In fact, it will be the first game i buy for the system.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Y's Books 1&2
    Cosmic Fantasy 2
    Exile
    Blazing Lazers
    Super Star Soldier
    Final Soldier
    Soldier Blade
    Legendary Axe
    Legendary Axe II
    Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
    Bonk's Adventure
    Bonk's Revenge
    R-Type (I went with the R-Type Complete CD myself)
    Gate of Thunder
    Lords/Winds of Thunder
    Last/Red Alert
    Bloody Wolf
    Dungeon Explorer
    Dungeon Explorer II (way cheaper in Japanese)
    Sinistron
    Ninja Spirit
    Neutopia
    Neutopia II
    Galaga '90/'88
    Bomberman '93
    Moto Roader
    World Court Tennis (check out the quest mode)
    Final Lap Twin (again, quest mode)
    Valkyrie no Densetsu
    War of the Dead (needs an FAQ to be playable, but fun & cheap)
    Legend of Xanadu
    Legend of Xanadu II
    Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
    Splatterhouse
    Vigilante
    Momotaro Katsugeki
    Download
    Download II
    Air Zonk
    L-Dis
    Salamander
    Gradius
    Gradius II
    Kyuukyoku Tiger
    Tiger Road
    Mr. Heli
    Dragon's Curse
    Alien Crush
    Devil's Crush
    Psychosis/Paranoia
    Tricky Kick
    Cratermaze
    Kickball
    Image Fight
    Image Fight II
    Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundoukai
    Super Darius
    Aero Blasters
    SomerAssault/Mesopotamia
    Cadash
    Sidearms
    Genpei Toumaden
    Samurai Ghost
    Dragon Spirit

I personally really enjoy all of those, and they cover a broad range of play styles and price points, and there are more great ones out there.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The TGCD version of Ys 1-2 is the best of the classic version of the game. The voice acting is awful, but hey, that's the era. The gameplay moves a lot faster and more responsively than other classic versions of Ys (1 anyway, I don't think I ever played another classic 2 release) and the redbook audio is to die for. It's one of the must haves for the CD.

(I note classic, because years later there were remakes on PC, DS, PSP, etc, but those are sort of a different experience so I wouldn't compare directly to say, Japanese computer, Famicom, SMS versions of Ys.)

Cosmic Fantasy 2 on the other hand, it's pretty dated and clunky. I don't know what it goes for, but I wouldn't pay too much for it. If you're a real RPG nut as you say, maybe look for an ISO and try it out before shelling out any significant money for it. Of course, if it's cheap, whatever, go ahead and grab it. It's novel as an early WD game at the least.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    The TGCD version of Ys 1-2 is the best of the classic version of the game. The voice acting is awful, but hey, that's the era. The gameplay moves a lot faster and more responsively than other classic versions of Ys (1 anyway, I don't think I ever played another classic 2 release) and the redbook audio is to die for. It's one of the must haves for the CD.

(I note classic, because years later there were remakes on PC, DS, PSP, etc, but those are sort of a different experience so I wouldn't compare directly to say, Japanese computer, Famicom, SMS versions of Ys.)
    Out of curiosity, is that worth it over Ys 1&2 Chronicles on PC? That version has reimagined graphics and music, but has options to set everything to the PC-88 including graphics, border, and music.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Thats friggin crazy. When did you find it? With the adevnt of the internet, things like that getting thrown away just blows my mind. You can find out the value of whatever you want in like two seconds.
    About 5 years ago. I booked the office it then and complete it was still $125

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Ys book 1 and 2
    Cosmic Fantasy 2
    Bomberman
    R-Type
    Legendary Axe 1 and 2
    I'll recommend these games and often the pce versions will be cheaper in price.
    Galaga 88
    Bomberman 93&94
    Nuetopia 1&2
    Exile
    Monster Lair
    Valis III
    Ys III
    Ys IV,it has a fan translation and dubbing as well.
    Aero Blaster

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

get everdrive.....

really don't waste your money.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

If you want a good rpg get Dragon Slayer legend of heroes.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Hey Bozle
    I just recently went through what you're contemplating doing, so I thought I would share my experience.

First off, the reason I have a PC Engine is because of the Wii! I'll always laugh thinking about that. Last Christmas I was looking to mod a Wii to make it region free. You can do that, but it's actually part of a process that also allows for playing back-up disc's and roms/wads of games from the Wii's Virtual Console. Which coincidentally, has 59 titles available from the TurboGrafx-16 library.

I enjoy collecting complete video games for a hobby and have never played a back-up or a ROM in my life. I've also never paid for a digital game. But I remember giving this Wii mod a lot of thought and how tempting it was to have a free set of TurboGrafx-16 games. For testing purposes, you know.
    It was that temptation that made me realize how much I really wanted to "own" a PC Engine library and even though I knew next to nothing about it and heard it was crazy expensive, I set my mind to doing it.

Among collectors, I think getting a TurboGrafx-16 library would a damn site more impressive due to the cost and difficulty of acquiring games. But the reliability issues of US hardware was a real turn off. Does anyone recall a board member showing a complete TG16 collection? It must have been done, but I don't recall seeing it.

I decided to go for a Japanese PC Engine library instead. There were more games, they were cheaper and the hardware seemed a bit more reliable.

I started at GameFAQs and reviewed every single title and came away with a list of 250 PCE and TG16 games would make up my collection. It would include every shooting game, which I think best defines the consoles library.

Then I bought myself a boxed PC Engine console that had been modded to play both PCE and TG16 HuCards. I've seen these frequently on Ebay. CD games are region free and I thought I would prefer the Duo-R controller, so I started with a Duo-R console for CD games. Later I bought the Duo-X as a back-up system because it came out after the Duo-R and I hoped it might have less hours on it. Then awhile later still, a board member here sold me another Duo-R, so I think I'm good to go on thou's. I don't intend to recap anything until I actually have a problem. I'm not really expecting one.

You mentioned first game you planned on getting is Ys Book 1 and 2. The game I wanted first was Steam Hearts! I had the Sega Saturn version and very much wanted to see the original uncensored version. Speaking of censored versions, please take a look at having some of those Shiawase games!

I also picked up Ys Book 1 and 2 too and Y's 4. Very inexpensive.
    I also grabbed both The Legend of Xanadu games, Xak I&II and be sure to check out Fray CD Xak Gaiden too.
    The Tower of Druaga and the 4 Valis titles are also quite cheap and worth a play.

So let's talk cost
    The PC Engine was popular in Japan, meaning the games and consoles are plentiful. There wasn't a single game on my list that I couldn't find several listings for and competition is good for price.
    The Duo consoles weren't cheap, but they were all less that the cost of a new console - say a Wii-U. So I was reasonably comfortable with the cost of those.
    I keep records of what I pay for games including shipping and I think you'll be happy to hear that many of my games were in the under $20.00 range shipped. And there were also quite a few that were $40.00 shipped.
    Of the 241 games I've purchased, all but 28 titles were less than the cost of a new $60.00 game.
    I've heard that Magical Chase for the TG16 can cost well into the thousands of dollars. The Japanese version I purchased was well under $300.00
    And the most expensive game was Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire which was closer to $400. I saw several listings for clearly identified pirated copy's selling for nearly $200. Perhaps collectors want them for their notoriety and as a novelty item?

Where to buy>>>
    I use a buying service to purchase Gameboy, Famicom and Super Famicom games on Yahoo Japan fairly frequently and am very comfortable using it. Yet strangely, not once was I able to beat Ebay prices after my fees for PC Engine games. Ebay was the cheapest, offered the best Buyer Protection and as an added bonus, gives a percentage of your purchase back as Ebay Bucks. I used my Ebay Bucks to purchase that Duo-X for next to nothing. Always use a world wide search because the PC Engine was popular in Europe too and I found some great deals with European sellers.

I go to work carrying a lunch pail, wearing blue jeans and steel toed boots. So I think you can imagine where I'm at financially. I paid for my collection by working weekends and working late and I'll be finished with my original goal within the year. This is very do-able!

I love real games. I always have. Examining the artwork on the box's and thumbing through the manuals is an incredible feeling and it gives me a great amount of satisfaction.
    If you enjoy that too, you won't regret having a PC engine collection.

best of luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Is there a site that has a list of PC Engine games that are easily accessible for English readers? I've bought random cheap Japanese games and it hasn't turned out well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Is there a site that has a list of PC Engine games that are easily accessible for English readers? I've bought random cheap Japanese games and it hasn't turned out well.
    Since you asked. The Brothers Duomozov is the place for anything pcengine/turbo related, period. Not sure if they have a list of those specifics, but they've pretty much reviewed every pcengine game in existence. They let you know what is accessible for non japanspeakers and whatnot. I think they even have a few guides for import rpgs. But I'm sure someone else mentioned them somewhere here.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brothers Duomozov
    Last edited by FieryReign; 10-26-2015 at 12:44 AM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Hey Bozle
    I just recently went through what you're contemplating doing, so I thought I would share my experience.

First off, the reason I have a PC Engine is because of the Wii! I'll always laugh thinking about that. Last Christmas I was looking to mod a Wii to make it region free. You can do that, but it's actually part of a process that also allows for playing back-up disc's and roms/wads of games from the Wii's Virtual Console. Which coincidentally, has 59 titles available from the TurboGrafx-16 library.

I enjoy collecting complete video games for a hobby and have never played a back-up or a ROM in my life. I've also never paid for a digital game. But I remember giving this Wii mod a lot of thought and how tempting it was to have a free set of TurboGrafx-16 games. For testing purposes, you know.
    It was that temptation that made me realize how much I really wanted to "own" a PC Engine library and even though I knew next to nothing about it and heard it was crazy expensive, I set my mind to doing it.

Among collectors, I think getting a TurboGrafx-16 library would a damn site more impressive due to the cost and difficulty of acquiring games. But the reliability issues of US hardware was a real turn off. Does anyone recall a board member showing a complete TG16 collection? It must have been done, but I don't recall seeing it.

I decided to go for a Japanese PC Engine library instead. There were more games, they were cheaper and the hardware seemed a bit more reliable.

I started at GameFAQs and reviewed every single title and came away with a list of 250 PCE and TG16 games would make up my collection. It would include every shooting game, which I think best defines the consoles library.

Then I bought myself a boxed PC Engine console that had been modded to play both PCE and TG16 HuCards. I've seen these frequently on Ebay. CD games are region free and I thought I would prefer the Duo-R controller, so I started with a Duo-R console for CD games. Later I bought the Duo-X as a back-up system because it came out after the Duo-R and I hoped it might have less hours on it. Then awhile later still, a board member here sold me another Duo-R, so I think I'm good to go on thou's. I don't intend to recap anything until I actually have a problem. I'm not really expecting one.

You mentioned first game you planned on getting is Ys Book 1 and 2. The game I wanted first was Steam Hearts! I had the Sega Saturn version and very much wanted to see the original uncensored version. Speaking of censored versions, please take a look at having some of those Shiawase games!

I also picked up Ys Book 1 and 2 too and Y's 4. Very inexpensive.
    I also grabbed both The Legend of Xanadu games, Xak I&II and be sure to check out Fray CD Xak Gaiden too.
    The Tower of Druaga and the 4 Valis titles are also quite cheap and worth a play.

So let's talk cost
    The PC Engine was popular in Japan, meaning the games and consoles are plentiful. There wasn't a single game on my list that I couldn't find several listings for and competition is good for price.
    The Duo consoles weren't cheap, but they were all less that the cost of a new console - say a Wii-U. So I was reasonably comfortable with the cost of those.
    I keep records of what I pay for games including shipping and I think you'll be happy to hear that many of my games were in the under $20.00 range shipped. And there were also quite a few that were $40.00 shipped.
    Of the 241 games I've purchased, all but 28 titles were less than the cost of a new $60.00 game.
    I've heard that Magical Chase for the TG16 can cost well into the thousands of dollars. The Japanese version I purchased was well under $300.00
    And the most expensive game was Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire which was closer to $400. I saw several listings for clearly identified pirated copy's selling for nearly $200. Perhaps collectors want them for their notoriety and as a novelty item?

Where to buy>>>
    I use a buying service to purchase Gameboy, Famicom and Super Famicom games on Yahoo Japan fairly frequently and am very comfortable using it. Yet strangely, not once was I able to beat Ebay prices after my fees for PC Engine games. Ebay was the cheapest, offered the best Buyer Protection and as an added bonus, gives a percentage of your purchase back as Ebay Bucks. I used my Ebay Bucks to purchase that Duo-X for next to nothing. Always use a world wide search because the PC Engine was popular in Europe too and I found some great deals with European sellers.

I go to work carrying a lunch pail, wearing blue jeans and steel toed boots. So I think you can imagine where I'm at financially. I paid for my collection by working weekends and working late and I'll be finished with my original goal within the year. This is very do-able!

I love real games. I always have. Examining the artwork on the box's and thumbing through the manuals is an incredible feeling and it gives me a great amount of satisfaction.
    If you enjoy that too, you won't regret having a PC engine collection.

best of luck!
    I might have just fallen in love with you ;P. Very well put, and well executed.

I personally have 2 TG-16s (one with the CD), a Turbo Express, and a Duo-R. The only issues I've had with U.S. hardware are the audio and video caps on the Express going (SURPRISE!), and that stupid gear that always goes bad on the CD which I have yet to replace. All in all, the U.S. hardware has been pretty reliable for the past 26 years.

Anyway, I agree with everything you've posted here and totally commend you getting that collection put together in this day and age!
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8